victoria line strike tomorrow-

exactly KK

and given the reason for the strike (Victoria line is the only line to not have doors which can't be opened at 20mph) what is people's stance. No fatalaties or serious injuries in the few dozen incidents related over the last few years but if one were to happen wouldn't the public decry the lack of action which led to a fatality?

I love that one of the excuses for todays day off is that trains should have safety features to stop doors opening on the wrong side! I?m sorry but isn?t that the drivers job ? hardly rocket science is it?

So it looks like a driver opened the doors on the wrong side and tried to hide his mistake, got found out and sacked and now the RMT wants him back working. I'll give him a job cleaning my car and thats about it.

I think LU should invest in more automation and get rid of drivers all together in fact!

Summer's coming = Tube strikes!

Bob Crowe gets on the TV more telling us what an awful life Tube drivers have, how passenger safety is their No.1 concern etc etc - funny how when everyone else is getting laid off, getting pay cuts and generally having a miserable time of it the tube unions deem it appropriate to start taking strike action and making things even more miserable.

Put a big sign in each cab saying - Wake UP! Put down the newspaper. Pay Attention. Do not open the doors on the wrong side

Anyone know what a Victoria Line driver earns? Think it's about ?40k. And, having sat in the cab once, it was interesting that the trains are operated automatically, the driver's responsibility is opening/closing doors and being there when a problem arises. Bit of a mind-numbing job, but very well remunerated. Strike sounds like it's cos they were bored.

it must be the most mind numbing job though so it must be hard to concentrate/not fall asleep (which i have done oocassionally at my desk). I like the funny ones who speak over the tannoy and say what they're thinking rather than what they're meant to say. They also don't get to work 9-5.30 so I'm glad they get 40k, I wouldn't want their job.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If some twit can?t be trusted to not open the

> doors when the train is still moving he shouldn?t

> be getting paid to drive the dam thing in the

> first place.

>

> Just a thought like.

And they get 3 days of if someone jumps in front of them.

does anone else find it interesting that the people who sit on their lean toned arses all day, at the hot desk in the fast moving world of media, advertising & marketing, recruitment & the rest of the parasitic family of non productive, valueless, degrading, immoral so called professions, are the first to mouth off about people who drive buses and tubes for a living

* crosses arms.sits back.*

Snorky, and of course it's the meedja/finance/recruitment types who are the first to say things like "If some twit can?t be trusted to not open the doors when the train is still moving he shouldn?t be getting paid to drive the dam thing in the first place" because they have never made a mistake in their jobs. Of course a typo in an email about cross-fertilising viral communication portals, is much more forgivable than pressing the wrong button at a station platform.

njc97 Wrote:

> Snorky, and of course it's the

> meedja/finance/recruitment types who are the first

> to say things like "If some twit can?t be trusted

> to not open the doors when the train is still

> moving he shouldn?t be getting paid to drive the

> dam thing in the first place" because they have

> never made a mistake in their jobs. Of course a

> typo in an email about cross-fertilising viral

> communication portals, is much more forgivable

> than pressing the wrong button at a station

> platform.

I have a feeling this is a dig at my fat fingers, lack of good speeling, and those dot things with the tails that you put at the end of words thyat look like sperms, but my lo lo quality English isnt up to the job.

KalamityKel Wrote:

>

> Tube drivers are responsible for many lives.

Yeah but so are the signallers, the train and track maintenance guys, the engineers. I know they are not seen as directly responsible for peoples safety. Passengers safety is being used a cover for the real purpose of this strike to keep the RMT in the limelight by flexing its muscles.

This driver opened the doors on the wrong side and some how it is someone else?s fault (f#cking blame culture). If I had set out some railway rack as I used to and the first train hit the tunnel portal in the morning, do you think I?d get away and say sorry I was a bit tired? I would have more self respect and go get a job in Subway (no pun intended)

snorky Wrote:

> the parasitic family of non productive, valueless,

> degrading, immoral so called professions, are the

> first to mouth off about people who drive buses

> and tubes for a living

They?re another issue. But tube drivers taking the piss because they are in a protected sector and have a strong union while people in real professions like teaching or nursing which have a much higher level of personal culpability, required level of qualification and skill get paid less and just have to lump it, that pisses me off.

Snorky... what a load of drivel. Tube drives get paid fairly well, for a relatively unskilled job. Users of London's public transport pay for a service, usually in advance. I think they have a right to question why they're not getting what they've pay for, without being accused of "daily mail lite" views.

Tube drivers are no more noble than the rest of us, they're just getting paid to do a job.

Brendan Wrote:

> snorky Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > the parasitic family of non productive,

> valueless,

> > degrading, immoral so called professions, are

> the

> > first to mouth off about people who drive buses

> > and tubes for a living

>

> They?re another issue. But tube drivers taking the

> piss because they are in a protected sector and

> have a strong union while people in real

> professions like teaching or nursing which have a

> much higher level of personal culpability,

> required level of qualification and skill get paid

> less and just have to lump it, that pisses me off.

I agree. However, the RMT would look like a bunch of fairies if the National Union of Teachers flexed its muscles.

Anyway, bring on full automation. Its pretty much been done on the DLR since the 1980's.

No one goes on strike for a trivial reason, it costs a lot of money, you don't get paid for a strike day unless the management is very stupid. I use the Victoria Line a lot and I think the people who work at Victoria station have an amazingly stressful and thankless task. I checked the Union's website and the dispute is a long running one partly over safety and partly over the right to belong to a trade union, both serious reasons.Incidently I am a teacher and I don't know why anyone would think we are poorly paid, we moan about a lot of stuff but pay isn't one of them. And the Union has shut down the Victoria Line only for 2 days, seems like the bloody management are always closing it down for the whole weekend.