Bike thefts in The Gardens

Hi All

Just a warning to anybody living in The Gardens or nearby, there is a gang of bike thieves working in the area.

My bike was attached by three locks to the railings outside my flat, they snipped one lock and undid the bolts on my wheels, leaving them in situ.

It's quite an old bike but in good nick, however without the wheels it will be a difficult sell for them.

It's a grey/blue Ridgeback Speed, 17" frame, Shimano Deore gears, mini computer, about 3 and a bit years old.

I know I'll probably never see it again but if you are offered it for sale I would like to know.

The guys who may have been responsible have been seen several times casing the area and they may be back. I have another bike locked out there as I have no space inside, hopefully this is locked more securely.

Just thought I'd let people know as there are some keen cyclists in the area. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else as it's a real pain.

Ben

Well this is my first theft in four years so I'm not too upset, plus they got my old bike which I was sentimental about but which didn't owe me anything and I had been trying to sell.

I've told the police and they've got back to me but not much hope I would imagine.

I used three Kryptonite d-locks but they only needed to clip one and then unbolt my wheels. My other bike is more securely locked with special wheel locks as suggested.

Bit of a bummer but could be worse. Now they've got an old bike with no wheels, you'd think it would be easier for them to just get a job as they will have to share the meagre profits with a five man gang plus their fagin.

Ho hum. Thanks for the advice though and believe me The Gardens is still a lovely little place to live.

Ben

Very sorry to hear about this - I have always been concerned that this might happen over there

I have Pitlocks but I prefer the look of yours, Mike. Where did you buy them?

...not sure if that was directed at me or not. I bought my set from London Bridge Evans and I'm pretty sure you can get a set that also includes a lock for your headset and seatpost.

bon3yard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Very sorry to hear about this - I have always

> been concerned that this might happen over there

>

> I have Pitlocks but I prefer the look of yours,

> Mike. Where did you buy them?

>

> ...not sure if that was directed at me or not. I

> bought my set from London Bridge Evans and I'm

> pretty sure you can get a set that also includes a

> lock for your headset and seatpost.

My budget alternative:

Superglue a ball-bearing into the allen key socket on anything on your bike that isn't the frame (obviously after you've adjusted it to where you want it)

Whenever you need to remove your seatpost etc you just need to apply superglue remover, wait about 10 mins and then it will have dissolved.

I saw your bike cover on the ground eca00cdy and hoped you'd gone out for a spin, what a bummer that they got your bike too.

Dulwichbloke - I don't actually know who stole my bike or eca's but there is a gang of 3-5 young men usually 2 on bicycles who are not locals but walk/cycle round during the day paying close attention to bikes, checking behind houses etc. I tried calling the police last time but without calling 999 it's difficult to get through to anyone who's interested. These guys are not strictly committing a crime, although I suppose you could describe it as loitering with intent.

I would love to think that there was a cast-iron way to stop bike thieves but there really isn't. Just keep your main frame and wheels locked with a decent set of locks in a place that is easy to keep an eye on, and if everyone keeps an eye out for everyone else that's the best we can do.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend any of us 'having a go' - if you see someone acting really suspiciously call the police and wait for them to deal with it.

There is someone who sells a lot of bikes on Gumtree from east Dulwich, a few bikes a day, they are all photographed outside in what looks like a garden, do you think this could be them or somone legit?

Dulwich Monkey, it might be worth checking if they are selling you bike on there....

The one problem with bikes becoming more and more popular is that the bike theves are on the up and they are getting better and better.... b*****ds!

mrs f Wrote:

> There is someone who sells a lot of bikes on

> Gumtree from east Dulwich, a few bikes a day, they

> are all photographed outside in what looks like a

> garden, do you think this could be them or somone

> legit?

> Dulwich Monkey, it might be worth checking if they

> are selling you bike on there....

> The one problem with bikes becoming more and more

> popular is that the bike theves are on the up and

> they are getting better and better.... b*****ds!

Google the number - if you get a bunch of other Gumtree listings it's a hunch it might be a thief.

Gumtree is rife with stolen bikes.

The Gardens Neighbourhood Watch is meeting this Monday 1st June 7pm at 45 The Gardens. We have recently been awarded funding to be used towards crime prevention in The Gardens. I spoke to the Peckham Rye Safer Neighbourhood Team today and they are interested in using some of this funding towards providing locks for bike owners to prevent future thefts. Please come along and find out more. Btw the Peckham Rye Safer Neighbourhood Team (who cover The Gardens) were not aware of these recent bike thefts so it would be good if those affected could come along.

I think Bike parks are the way forward and am surprised it not been picked up on as a moneyspinner by the local council yet. The only place I ever used to leave mine was outside the Dulwich pool and now thats closed its kinda scuppered my daily swim. The cycle parks outside Peckham Pulse have far too many locks without bikes for me to even countenance leaving it there.

bon3yard Wrote:

> I think Bike parks are the way forward and am

> surprised it not been picked up on as a

> moneyspinner by the local council yet. The only

> place I ever used to leave mine was outside the

> Dulwich pool and now thats closed its kinda

> scuppered my daily swim. The cycle parks outside

> Peckham Pulse have far too many locks without

> bikes for me to even countenance leaving it there.

If you leave a bike for any amount of time in London it will get stolen. Even a ?100 lock can be cut with an angle-grinder. It's about leaving thieves enough time with the bike to be able to do it.

Your bike isn't going to get nicked from Peckham Pulse if you lock it up properly with a decent lock and don't leave it overnight or something.

bon3yard Wrote:

> I think Bike parks are the way forward and am

> surprised it not been picked up on as a

> moneyspinner by the local council yet. The only

> place I ever used to leave mine was outside the

> Dulwich pool and now thats closed its kinda

> scuppered my daily swim. The cycle parks outside

> Peckham Pulse have far too many locks without

> bikes for me to even countenance leaving it there.

If you leave a bike for any amount of time in London it will get stolen. Even a ?100 lock can be cut with an angle-grinder. It's about leaving thieves enough time with the bike to be able to do it.

Your bike isn't going to get nicked from Peckham Pulse if you lock it up properly with a decent lock and don't leave it overnight or something.