Car Crash-Lordship Lane

Hi,

Did anyone see the car crash early Saturday morning? It was opposite Somerfields with three badly damaged vehicles. One vehicle ended up in the outside seating area of the restaurant. All vehicles were near write off's . The bizzy's were there and quite a queue of rubber-neckers (must be from Crystal Palace)

Remains of shattered screens, oil etc. are still visible. Because no-one posted this crash I thought that it might have been a film set with the cast and crew nipping off for breakfasts.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

I was in Somerfields at about 9 am Saturday morning and saw no signs of anything unusual at all. If there been a bad crash there would have been some evidence I would have thought.

I might have been wandering past early that morning - just to prove it wasn't part of Libras imagination! In terms of leaving evidence, they did a great job of clearing it up quickly, but you'll notice Le Chardon is currently missing half of it's front railings!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3565535273_1e668d6cc6.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3366/3565535179_d743120503.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/3565535081_01f1b5d0d7.jpg?v=0

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Erm, what is this if it isn't rubber necking,

> albeit of an altogether more digital nature?

>

> Odd, very very odd.

i agree

RosieH Wrote:

> Erm, what is this if it isn't rubber necking,

> albeit of an altogether more digital nature?

>

> Odd, very very odd.

I can understand why you think this is odd (I think you mean slightly shameful), but this is no different to the pictures in newspapers or on TV news. We can be supplied with all the info we need in writing or verbally, but we have a basic human desire to use our eyes. In fact what you see here is a little bit of citizen journalism, bypassing the South London Press or the BBC. I guarantee you'll be seeing a lot more of this kind of thing in the coming years. So what you see here isn't "odd", it's the future.

Vince Wrote:

> RosieH Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Erm, what is this if it isn't rubber necking,

> > albeit of an altogether more digital nature?

> >

> > Odd, very very odd.

>

> I can understand why you think this is odd (I

> think you mean slightly shameful), but this is no

> different to the pictures in newspapers or on TV

> news. We can be supplied with all the info we need

> in writing or verbally, but we have a basic human

> desire to use our eyes. In fact what you see here

> is a little bit of citizen journalism, bypassing

> the South London Press or the BBC. I guarantee

> you'll be seeing a lot more of this kind of thing

> in the coming years. So what you see here isn't

> "odd", it's the future.

Surely you should be using your ability to see 'the future' and heading down to LL to try and prevent this event from actually happening?

Bic Basher Wrote:

> I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already,

> there was a crash involving a convertible and a 12

> Bendy Bus on Lordship Lane at the junction of

> Friern Road on Sunday afternoon.

it was and this one too see earlier posts

I'm down with the whole citizen journalism thing - why only last year I did a whole story on it (some years after the fact).

However, what I can't get away from the is the sense of repugnance I feel at someone's stopping to take several pictures of a car crash and posting them online for others' sport. Similarly a post commenting on the rubber necking of passers-by, followed by a commendation for the posting of crash pictures online.

It isn't the future, it's human nature. Just an ugly part that I'd just as soon have no dealings with. Hence I will leave you folks to your ghoulishness and seek entertainment elsewhere.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already,

> there was a crash involving a convertible and a 12

> Bendy Bus on Lordship Lane at the junction of

> Friern Road on Sunday afternoon.

Um, it was mentioned May 25th, third post on this thread. By me.

RosieH Wrote:

Hence I will leave you folks to your

> ghoulishness and seek entertainment elsewhere.

That's completely fair enough. If you're uncomfortable with a publication, don't read it. I don't buy the Sun for a similar reason. But this thread is News. Small-time News admittedly, but news I'm interested in because it's happening just round the corner from me. And I appreciate the fact that someone's volunteered to take and post a photo so I can see what's been going on. Thanks Nutty, by the way.