Community orchestra in ED?

I was wondering if there are any adults learning an orchestral instrument, or who may have one lying around that they haven't picked up for a while, who might be interested/already know of a community orchestra in the area?

I do a little bit of music teaching, and also work in community music for an orchestra doing lots of family and children's music projects, and I've been thinking a bit about what's available for adult learners in South East London.

An adult I teach, who's about grade 4 standard, mentioned to me that she was finding it near impossible to find musicians to play with in a community orchestra/chamber group. All the local amateur orchestras (and there are a lot of great ones) demand a pretty high standard and a lot of time, so I was wondering if anyone knew of/would be interested in some sort of community orchestra, or even just chamber group 'matchmaking' service for adult beginners/intermediate players in South East London. There are some groups at Blackheath Conserveratoire, and also some at Morley College that I know of, but I was wondering if there'd be any interest in something locally?

The East London Late Starters Orchestra (http://www.ellso.org) is a great example of this sort of thing, although they've been going for years and it's quite a formidable operation! I'm imagining some sort of low-pressure rehearsal orchestra where we could tackle some interesting and fun repertoire, have the odd casual concert and just enjoy playing in an orchestra every fortnight or so. It could be a jumping board to some of the more serious groups around London, and also a chance to meet musicians to play chamber music with?

Perhaps there's already something in operation, if so it'd be great to find out! If not, would anyone be interested in something like this? I've done some conducting in the past so would be happy to wield a baton and dig out some music to start us off, and if it was popular and could muster some subs, we could find a music director to help out? I guess we'd just need a good cheap venue and some enthusiastic people?

Sorry, long posting! Any thoughts?

Hi - I would be very keen to get involved with this! I used to play flute to grade 6-7ish, but it's been in (fictional) mothballs for the past 6 years or so. Used to play with a city orchestra, but preferred the songs-from-musicals stuff I did in the school orchestra. Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction to get playing again!

Also looking for a flute-something exchange or at least cheap tutoring! Can proof-read, provide essay-writing help, and general language skills :) and I bake AMAZING chicken pie.