vegetarian options for lunch?

I can barely tolerate a carrot but Mrs ????s is a veggie. Today, we have a lunchtime break from 2p and 10p, and so are looking for the best local venue for veggie choice (although one where I can eat animals and drink beer too). Any ideas? Ideally with sun.

Cheers in advance

Not a lot of choice locally, but my vote goes to the Rye Hotel - amazing veggie roast, as well as good carnivore options. Else, Ganapati caters well for both if you want curry. Avoid LL, where Franklins, Palmerston etc rarely venture away from fried-offal fayre..

To be honest - I think that all of the places on Lordship Lane serving Sunday lunch do a veggie option, this includes Franklins and the Palmerston. Quite a few places seem to think that toad in the hole is an adequate veggie option - I'm not convinced, but sure lots of people like it as its offered so widely. I think that the Magnolia does a good Sunday lunch and its a lovely bright restaurant too. Last time I went it was really busy so I'd call in advance to reserve a table.

Rye Hotel is pretty good for veggie. If you like Greek, (which might be nice on a sunny day like this) there's a place in Camberwell that I like. I'm veggie and when I've been, they have always been really helpful in subtituting more veggie options into the Meze. Mrs bloke is a meat eater, so that often works out a good option. Here's a link with details. There's a couple of negative reviews, none of them are mine, but I would be one of the positive ones had I done a review!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=greek+restaurant+camberwell&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&view=text&latlng=14665726733374217051&dtab=2&ei=akciSvfeDKC8jAew48WuBw&oi=md_reviews&sa=X

But... my recent favourite by miles is this place in Crystal Palace.

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/restaurants/domali-cafe-review-43345.html

It's called Domali. It is almost exclusively veggie, so does really nice tasty stuff - not just basic afterthought non-meat stuff to allow veggies to go along. Because their stuff is so tasty, even my committed carnivore missus liked it a lot! Also, they do stuff like fish (smoked salmon etc) so its not strictly veggie.

Oh, and the waiting staff were really nice and friendly and helpful (and that's all I'm saying because Mrs Bloke uses this site as well!). The whole place has a nice atmosphere and serves booze as well, which is great for a long weekend all day breakfast.

the Toad's Mouth in Brockley is really good too. they have tasty options of both the vegetarian and omnivore variety plus a sun room and garden out back(both surprising since the main dining room is in the basement)

and really nice coffee and a ton of different teas

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can barely tolerate a carrot but Mrs ????s is a

> veggie. Today, we have a lunchtime break from 2p

> and 10p, and so are looking for the best local

> venue for veggie choice (although one where I can

> eat animals and drink beer too). Any ideas?

> Ideally with sun.

>

> Cheers in advance

Please don't take this the wrong way, but with your tastes how did you ever hitch up?

Moos, while you may have your own views, I am not a wind up merchant.

Most people tend to find people something like themselves. Most of the women I know who are ale drinkers are with men who are ale drinkers, dance music lovers find dance music lovers, etc. I love both.

While I have had a neighbour who when invited to dinner did bring her own cheese made of potato, I would think twice about making dinner again for - let alone live with - someone unable or unwilling to differentiate potato from cheese. You may be right, and the world may be full of such people, but most people I know tend to aim for likes that are at least to a degreee similar.

Louisana, didn't you say on another thread that you drink but your partner doesn't. How is this different to a veggie with a non-veggie (I know plenty of people like that - they happen to be together for love).

Back to the question, I am a meat eater who loves veggie food and often struggle finding something good locally. Will definitely try Domali!

louisiana Wrote:

> EDmummy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Louisana, didn't you say on another thread that

> > you drink but your partner doesn't.

Ah, my partner doesn't drink coffee generally after a meal - but then neither do I, mostly (unless it's offered at someone's home).

Lorraineliyange, while your relationship is commendable and olbviously exactly as you wish it, I'd venture to suggest that many non-smokers will tend to prefer non-smoking partners, owing to the smell of smoke not being so appetising to non-smokers (plus if their parents etc. have died from lung cancer - which is surprisingly often the case as many people used to smoke - this tends to leave a major mark, and such people will tend to seek non-smoking partners.) I suppose it depends on your time of life too...

louisiana Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I can barely tolerate a carrot but Mrs ????s is

> a

> > veggie. Today, we have a lunchtime break from

> 2p

> > and 10p, and so are looking for the best local

> > venue for veggie choice (although one where I

> can

> > eat animals and drink beer too). Any ideas?

> > Ideally with sun.

> >

> > Cheers in advance

>

> Please don't take this the wrong way, but with

> your tastes how did you ever hitch up?

My missus also HATES sport, thinks gambling is the work of the devil and reads the bleedin' Guardian....

true love does indeed work in mysterious ways