How long does it take to get to City Airport in the morning?

I'll be flying from City airport next month and wonder how much traffic I should expect going there early on a weekday morning (travelling alone with a baby and a suitcase so avoiding bus/train/DLR etc... will take a cab). At what time should I leave if I need to be there at 8am?

reetpetite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you are going by cab they would be able to tell

> you .

They often add lots of time to the estimate to make sure you're there on time. I obviously want to be careful but was wondering what's realistic...

I would budget more than 45 minutes myself. I drive from ED to East India Dock (on the A13 about 2 miles shy of the airport) every morning. I leave home at 7.20 and get to work at 0800. That's on an average day with no problems.

On Thursday last week the same journey took an hour and a half because someone had broken down in the tunnel.

I'd budget some extra time for heavy traffic.

PS Which way do people who think it can be done in 45 minutes go? I'd thought I'd found the quickest routes after 6 years of trying!

I often get cabs to City airport but for early flights like 7.30 since you have to get there early I'm often in a cab by 0545-0600 and it takes 25-30 mins that time of day.

Later though the masses are up and about and you need to allow a lot of time.

Beware the cab firms that charge 'waiting costs' for collection at City airport because of the 'holding area' for waiting cars where supposedly they pay to wait somewhere for you to arrive.

I'd get there early - the restaurant area of the waiting lounge has high chairs and is generally relatively baby friendly. We've done an early flight from City a few times with baby in tow, and getting there in time to stuff breakfast in him worked quite well.

45 Min's. Has been done via Rotherhithe Tunnel & Lime-house Link.

Arrive at Jamaica Rd/Rotherhithe Tunnel from Southwark Pk Rd, rather than from Surrey Quays/Lower Rd.

Blackwall is just to erratic, always with a huge queue.

Only me! Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Arrive at Jamaica Rd/Rotherhithe Tunnel from

> Southwark Pk Rd, rather than from Surrey

> Quays/Lower Rd.

The problem with going via Jamaica Rd is that at some point you have to do a right turn onto it, which can be a real pain. I often go around the top of Rotherhithe. It's longer but there's never on ounce of traffic and you whizz right into the tunnel. Keep that nice and quiet though - it's a secret :)

I'm still dubious about being able to get to the airport for 8 am in 45 minutes!

Thanks for all the replies. Circumstances changed and I will now fly at 1pm so I won't need to worry about morning traffic. Think I'll leave home 2 hours before the flight, allowing 1 hour to get there (too much) and 1 hour to get through security with a baby (too much as well). Stress free and not a ridiculous amount of waiting hopefully.

Thanks for the tip about the route, will ask the cab driver what (s)he thinks...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes but you have to get to Lewisham first and the #185 can take ages especially in lunchtime traffic. I have never understood why it so difficult to get to City Airport or Docklands from East Dulwich or Forest Hill, both of them should be put on the East London Line so that you can change at New Cross Gate.

In fact if I had my way, and BoJo's guarantee of action, I would put all the mainline railway stations and City and Heathrow Airports on the Circle line so that you could travel to any of them without having to change lines as you do at the moment. If we have to have Crossrail it should come into Marylebone not Paddington, which already has umpteen Tube lines, so that people travelling in from the High Wycombe etc part of Buckinghamshire don't have to change twice just to get to Central London.