The Palmerston (Lounged)

FoodStories

Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a while but this is my first post. I've just been discussing The Palmerston with another ED resident who e-mailed after seeing my review here http://helengraves.co.uk/?p=821 to say that she agrees with the points I made. Are we the only people who think The Palmerston is a rip off? The portions are ludicrously sized for the price I think. Does anyone else agree or am I being unreasonable?

Honestly, my crab starter was the size of a canape for ?8 and the monkfish (?17) was four measly slices on some peas. That is shockingly bad value I think. Considering that you can go up the road to Franklins and get much more generous portions of quality grub for the same price...

Let's start again, Helen.

"Hi, I'm Helen Graves.. I'm an aspiring food critic, and I've written a review of The Palmerston on my website, which I'd like you to read (if it interests you) - so here's a link"

As you were. On we go.

I've never eaten there Helen but I must say those prices seem high. I would have chosen dishes similar to yours and I must say they look tasty from the photographs. But let's face it no one likes meagre portions. I would be interested in what others think if they have been there. I'm sure for some it is worth the money.

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Shameless plug for your blog?

I don't quite get this. East Dulwich local posts comments about ED restaurant and invites further comments from other local people for balance and/or confirmation. Not sure how this is different from what lots of other folk do, without getting shot down in flames like this.

For myself, I've always found the Palmerston to be pricey but the meals have been amazing and worth it IMHO. I haven't been there for a while though, so standards may have changed.

FoodStories, i'm afraid I have to agree with you. One look at the menu and I feel rough with all those dodgy things mixed together, i'd rather get an extra value meal at McDonalds! Oh and BTW, dont take offence to the at best cynical and at worst mildly offensive attitude of some of the crew on here, I think it is a case of dillusional feelings of grandeur.

*love and huge*, welcome to the forum, mwah!

Louisa.

Glad to hear some of you agree with me. I really was annoyed after my meal. I've heard the same people own The Herne but that it is much better value or is it completely different? (I've never been)

Bob - are we friends now? ;)

Louisa - thanks very much for the welcome.

Hi FoodStories and welcome to the forum, already had a taste of the sharp end of the tongue?, so to speak.

I love The Palmeston and it's not beyond reproach but, along with Franklin's, it has helped put east dulwich on the map. The Village is still a gastronomic desert but the Lane leads the way. I don't think the butchers or the great bakers we now have, would exist without these restaurants. The crab and all of it may be expensive but it sets a standard that others need to follow to compete. To critise one meal does not look at the whole picture.

EDOldie - Yes it seems I have! I agree that Lordship Lane is now full of successful food shops and I'll take your word for it that places like The Palmerston helped this to happen (I've only been here 2 years), but the fact remains that The Palmerston are taking the mick and if they are doing it because they recognise the fact that they helped to start things off and have somehow 'earned' the right to coast along giving people poor value for money, then that is even worse I think.

????, ah the good old days, a bag of pork scratchings and a pint of the black stuff. Then the Putneyites invaded with their expensive continental half lagers and child portion meals.

I remember those Lasagne meals too, Iceland are still selling them!

Louisa.

I've eaten there plenty of times but fortunately never paid the bill. It is over priced and hyped. Oh, and they charged me 3.70 for a pint of staropramen last week !! . And i thought beer tax was up 2p at whole sale source. That equates to almost ten p on a prev price of 3.30 . Says it all really. The owner drives a nice beema i think tho !

FoodStories Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bob - are we friends now? ;)

But of course.

The first time I ate there for a full sit-down (three or so years ago?) the food was impressive. We were in the back room, which has a pleasing ambience. Not cheap, but all things considered, the experience was a good one which I'd heartily recommend.

Second time (a few months back) the food was less impressive, we were in the main room (less pleasing) and the bill seemed high and undeserved for the quality of stuff on the plate.

I can also say the same for The Herne, which was great when it launched, but was seriously underwhelming a few weeks back, perhaps verging on 'poor'.