Driving to Teddington?

Anyone know any good routes from ED? It takes hours via clapham, wandsworth, richmond. All online route planners and sat nav systems want to take me that way with a quoted journey time of 32 minutes! It's all lies!

I've tried the method of getting my friends to move house, but they won't budge...help!

There is no easy way. I can't think of any reasonable route avoiding Clapham and Wandsworth, although I would suggest cutting down to Wandsworth Road/Lavender Hill asap, avoiding the Clapham Common one-way system. After Wandsworth I'd get on the A3 and then drive through Kingston, instead of going through Richmond.

I go in that direction a lot to see relatives and Clapham Junction to Wandsworth is always a nightmare. Going via the A3 instead of Richmond, as Jeremy suggests, is a good idea. If you want to avoid Wandsworth, sometimes it's faster to head to the Embankment instead and drive via Hammersmith up the dual carraigeway to Richmond and onwards. You have to make a judgment call as to which is going to be more trafficky.

It's a nightmare. One route which is longer but less frustrating, if not reliably much quicker, is Clapham South - Nightingale Lane - Burntwood lane - Plough Lane - Haydons Road - A238 all the way to Kingston, then over Kingston Bridge.

I can do it, by cutting out both Clapham & Wandsworth, all via back streets. I will try to see if I can plan the route on a map for you and put it on here. We went to Runnymede at the weekend, via Twickenham, if you're prepared to weave n wind, it's a breeze!

OK after many failed attempts I couldn't work out how to attach a map, but these instructions will get you from Lordship Lane to the A3. However, they cut out all the bad traffic at Herne Hill, Clapham & Wandsworth.

Having lived in Tooting for 20 years, unless you are travelling in the night, this really is the quickest way.

You're on your own from the A3 onwards.

Good Luck!

1. Head southeast on A2216/Lordship Ln toward Eynella Rd 115 ft

2. Turn right at Eynella Rd 0.2 mi

3. Turn right at Ct Ln 0.4 mi

4. Turn left at Carlton Ave 105 ft

5. Continue on Turney Rd 0.5 mi

6. Turn right at A2199/Croxted Rd 0.2 mi

7. Turn left at Guernsey Grove 0.1 mi

8. Turn right at Rosendale Rd 351 ft

9. Turn left at A215/Norwood Rd 0.2 mi

10. Turn right at Trinity Rise 0.3 mi

11. Continue on Upper Tulse Hill 0.3 mi

12. Turn left at Roupell Rd 0.2 mi (you cut across the Sth Circ here, cutting off the top of Brixton Hill)

13. Turn right at Palace Rd 246 ft

14. Turn left at Daysbrook Rd 0.1 mi

15. Turn right at Wavertree Rd 0.1 mi

16. Turn left at A23/Streatham Hill

Continue to follow A23 0.3 mi (past Streatham Hill Station)

17. Slight left at A23/Streatham High Rd 0.2 mi ( just follow A23, until the first available right, as below)

18. Turn right at Mount Ephraim Rd 0.3 mi (v bad speed bumps here)

19. Turn left at Woodfield Ave 0.2 mi (at bottom of Woodfield Ave turn left onto Bedford Hill and at the traffic lights at the end of the road, turn right into Tooting Bec Road as per 22 below))

20. Continue on B242/Bedford Hill 0.4 mi

21. Turn left toward A214/Tooting Bec Rd 0.3 mi

22. Turn right at A214/Tooting Bec Rd 0.2 mi

23. Turn left at Franciscan Rd 0.3 mi

24. Turn right at Derinton Rd 0.3 mi - At bottom of Derinton Road turn left, then immediately right into Ansell Rd (26 below)

25. Turn left at A24/Upper Tooting Rd 92 ft

26. Turn right at Ansell Rd 0.1 mi

27. Turn right at Fishponds Rd 0.1 mi

28. Turn left at Beechcroft Rd 0.6 mi

29. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto B229/Burntwood Ln 0.2 mi

30. Turn right at Ellerton Rd 0.4 mi

31. Turn right at Magdalen Rd 0.2 mi

32. Turn left at Heathfield Rd 0.4 mi (go past Wandsworth Prison here)

33. Turn left at B234/Earlsfield Rd 0.2 mi

34. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto St Ann's Hill 417 ft

35. Continue straight to stay on St Ann's Hill 335 ft

36. Turn left at Swaffield Rd 0.2 mi

37. Continue on Kimber Rd

Go through 1 roundabout 0.4 mi

38. Turn right at A218/Merton Rd (past a pub called the Earl Spencer??)

Go through 1 roundabout 0.3 mi (second exit from memory)

39. Turn left to stay on A218/Merton Rd 0.2 mi

40. Turn left at Lebanon Gardens 0.2 mi

41. Then turn right into Lebanon Road & turn left onto A3.

See easy peezy!

Damn how sad am I?

Wow thanks auracaught I'll be trying this one out when I have someone to read out the instructions just in case my full attention isn't on the road! I much prefer moving round windy streets than sitting still on a main rd.

I have tried by train then many a time but it takes well over an hour as said friend lives 20 mins from the train station.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let u know how I get on

ShinyShiny Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone know any good routes from ED? It takes

> hours via clapham, wandsworth, richmond. All

> online route planners and sat nav systems want to

> take me that way with a quoted journey time of 32

> minutes! It's all lies!

>

> I've tried the method of getting my friends to

> move house, but they won't budge...help!

32 minutes?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

It'll take you 32 minutes just to get out of Dulwich!

You have asked the right question for me as I have done it a number of times in the opposite direction. The best rule is keep it simple. Get on the A205 at Tulse Hill and stay on it until Clifford Avenue, Sheen. Then stay on the major road as the A205 turns right at the lights, go straight on into Richmond and then follow the little one way to the left and then you hit a mini roundabout with Richmond Bridge to the right. Turn right over the bridge into East Twickenham and left at the first lights after going through the little shopping street.

That leads to Twickenham centre via Marble Hill and St Margarets (about a mile), drive the length of it through a few sets of lights and the shops till you reach the main lights bang in the middle of Twickenham. Then you turn left which is the road following the river and will lead you into Teddington although when you get to the crossroads at Ferry Lane the right turn gets you into Broad Street which is the very centre of the shopping bit, but basically every road on the right beyond Strawberry Hill gets you into Teddington. If they're not digging up the road at Richmond it's not always bad but know what you mean, if you want to avoid it do as suggested and stay on the A3 at East Hill junction and use Kingston Bridge as it is a faster road although a bit further.

I'm sure I've repeated many earlier replies but as I can do the route in my head and see all the shops and junctions I hope I've added some features to guide you so you know you're at the right spot once you leave the South Circular.

I drove through Wandsworth yesterday between Ham and Clapham and was clear in the middle of the afternoon (there and back) for the first time in my life, and besides Clapham High Street I hit no traffic at all either way. I am still pretty amazed and hope you have the same experience.