Essential shops (other than food) needed in ED

There is a jewellery shop too isn't there? Nina Christie or something similar?

Not sure if she does repairs but she has an excellent reputation. There is some comment in the archives on her work if one uses the search tool.

So essentially ED needs neither of your suggestions....

Next.

I love Nina Christie, I have bought some lovely jewellery for presents etc from her which were a bit unusual and reasonably priced too. Plus she has also repaired a few things for me really well and I think she does commissions and engagement rings as well. I would definitely recommend her.

If I could have one shop we don't have I would like a branch of Hobbs. Totally not essential, and it would never happen, but would be nice.

A good perfumery wouldn't go amiss. Though just being in the same town as Liberty and Selfridges has been enough to create a large drain on my finances and a full drawer of different perfume.... so maybe not!

The White Company. Said it before I know, but I quite like their stuff. Only in the Sales though.

Surprised they've not opened there since LLane is so like Marylebone High Street in so many ways...

Come to that, a Patisserie Valerie and a Tattoo parlour would be good.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Boots the chemist

Boots or Superdrug would give the LL chemists a kick up the backside, to be sure.

, Gap and a TK Maxx please.

>

> The indie shops look pretty, but I would like a

> couple of decent chain shops as opposed to ones

> which sell overpriced ornamental tat.

I'd disagree that local shops sell only overpriced tat. In recent years I've bought a few frocks and skirts (maybe six frocks and four skirts in total) from the ED shop on North Cross Road and from Celestial (in both cases this stock is at the back of the shop, so not apparent from the window/door). The skirts were all 30-40 quid and the dresses 40-75 (mostly around 45). They have all been my favourites. I'm wearing one of the skirts now. All are from small labels and more stylish than anything from the chains, and the prices were not more expensive. (When I took a look in The White Stuff recently the prices for tops and skirts seemed higher and their stuff is somewhat tat-ish and certainly ordinary.)

While Gap is absolutely great for plain wardrobe staples like jeans, jumpers, or black jackets, or jim-jams, there rarely seems to be anything fun or really interesting and stylish in there.

I love betting and would like to see some sort of premises where I can do this.

I also really like buying those birthday cards with an old-fashioned photograph juxtaposed with a hilarious 'modern' caption, often implying something rude!

I'd love a shop that sold these to open in ED.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to think that a record shop was

> essential...............

Dream Machine used to sell them but it was unclear what was for sale and what was part of their front room.

Opening a record store in a suburb is basically suicide these days.