New vegetarian cafe (Bellenden Road )

Just to tell everybdy that a new vegetarian cafe has opened in Bellenden Road on the corner of Danby Road - called New Grass Roots Wholeffods. We have only been for Coffee so far but will return for a meal and definitely looks worth supporting in this vegetarian desert.

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...

we went in last weekend and were disappointed the food took ages to come out even though the cafe was not busy at all and when it arrived (with 10 minutes between the 2 dishes) both were lukewarm. While paying my husband mentioned this to the staff and was met with blank stares and shrugs.

it's really sad as we were excited at the prospect of a vegetarian cafe. Hopefully it was just growing pains but we probably won't be back until we hear better reviews from friends.

i now its not that nearby, but there's a fab vegetarian restaurant/cafe in forest hill opposite the library/swimming baths (dartmouth road i think). its called Provender (I think that's how its spelt!) admittedly i only pass through forest hill a couple times a year but its hard to resist that place.

also read on this forum that there's a good veggie restaurant somewhere in crystal palace.

I called into Grass Roots earlier in the week for a take away sandwich. I was the only customer and it still took the two staff (one started to make the sandwich and the other finished it off) over 10 mins to produce it. They got the order wrong and used diff bread to what I asked for (slices rather than baguette). Almost lost the will to live waiting for it and couldn't face complaining and waiting for a fresh order. It wasn't that nice either as they used some sort of long life pesto rather than fresh. They also tried to over-charge me and I had to point out the correct price.

Apparently, the guy in the kitchen is related to the previous owners and hasn't learnt from their mistakes of dreadfully poor service.

Also noticed the cold drinks fridge wasn't working / switched on.

i popped in with my mum a couple of weeks ago. we ordered ice cream which was very tasty, however i can also confirm the above waiting times. i think it took around 20 mins... luckily it was a hot day and we didn't mind. i'm not a veggie so doubt i'd go regardless, but i do wish them well.