Screaming (?) @2.30am

People have been murdered because neighbours heard screaming and didn't bother to call the police, or go and find out what was happening.

Not sure whether it's apathy or fear of embarrassment if it does turn out to be foxes or something.

Either way it's unfortunate.

last January I ran out in my boxers 'cos a girl was screaming at 2am HELP ME, HELP ME, I'm pleased to say that at least 3 of my neighbours joined me (in better attire) I'm less pleased to say the girl was paralytic and arguing with her boyfriend

Domitianus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Posters might be interested in the Bystander

> Effect, in particular the notorious Kitty Genovese

> case.

>

xxxxxxx

Yeh was going to mention that but couldn't remember the name, except I think it was in New York and she was murdered in a stairwell or courtyard overlooked by loads of windows, and none of the neighbours even bothered to call the police, let alone go to help.

does it not go on to say in the Wiki article about the Kitty case that in fact it was completely misrepresented by the press and in there were not as many bystanders as reported, the police were called and most of the witnesses that heard the murder couldn't see it. Further, that the case is still misrepresented in psychology books as an example to students.

Therefore not worth referencing.

except I think it was in New York and she was murdered in a stairwell or courtyard overlooked by loads of windows, and none of the neighbours even bothered to call the police, let alone go to help

It is worth noting that the incidence of urban foxes mating in New York is I believe low, whereas in East Dulwich it has seemed very high - so night-time screams of a particularly agonizing nature are a commonplace here without causing real fears - listen out for words amongst the screams is my advice, and call the police then. [And I really, really wouldn't like to be a vixen]

I was woken up at around 4am last winter to what sounded like a woman screaming. Lay in bed for the first 20 seconds with my heart pounding and trying to make out if, like Penguin suggests, there were any words. Soon realised that the screams weren't quite human. Then realised it could only be a fox (had only recently moved to this area so had never heard foxes like this before). Went to peek out the window and the fox was sitting in the middle of the road, on it's lonesome, making this horrible sound.

It prob was foxes, as i heard same noise again last night not really heard foxes before and certainly didnt know they sounded like human screams! Thanks for all your advice and if i think it is someone in danger then i will defo call the police in future. Thanks again

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> does it not go on to say in the Wiki article about

> the Kitty case that in fact it was completely

> misrepresented by the press and in there were not

> as many bystanders as reported, the police were

> called and most of the witnesses that heard the

> murder couldn't see it. Further, that the case is

> still misrepresented in psychology books as an

> example to students.

>

No idea. Do you think I read it?