Take a virtual tour of the new Harris Academy

Want to know what the new boys academy (being built next to Friern Rd/Peckham Rye) will look like, inside and out? There's now a virtual tour complete with Sarah Beeny music here...

http://www.harrisdulwichboys.org.uk/information.asp?l=2&p=6

The school opens in just three months time, though from the blurb it looks like Langbourne Primary school (near Kingsdale) is going to be the temporary base with boys being shipped across by minibus from the Harris girls school each day. Anyone out there have a son starting in September? Can you tell us more?

Wow it looks fantastic hopefully the standard of education and opportunities that are on offer for these childrens futures match the high quality of this wonderful new facility - well done to all involved, i think that you can all be very proud. I am sure the children of East Dulwich and the surrounding areas will really benefit

What about a decent school for ED proper and the type of professional families who are now progressively dominating this area.

ED seems to have 1) Academies (aren't these aimed at deprived areas?) and 2) Private / fee paying schools, but there appears to be little or no quality state schooling for those in the middle. Happy to be corrected.

unfortunately most of the "professional people" you speak of" have no loyalty to the area and move as quick as they outgrow their 1-2 bed flats and move to the likes of tunbridge wells, there are plenty good schools around but maybe not good enough if they're not frequented by a true dissection of the population

" What about a decent school for ED proper and the type of professional families who are now progressively dominating this area.

ED seems to have 1) Academies (aren't these aimed at deprived areas?) and 2) Private / fee paying schools, but there appears to be little or no quality state schooling for those in the middle. Happy to be corrected."

Er ......it is state schooling ? I am slightly lost for words , what do you mean 'professional families' ......? You'll be ducking eggs if you carry on like that .....

Well , it all looks lovely inside but where do all the kids go at break. Is there much in the way of outside space? Is there a gym? can't see where the space is for them to go out at breaks etc.. Or, is the idea that they all tip into the park opposite?

Reg Smeeton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Want to know what the new boys academy (being

> built next to Friern Rd/Peckham Rye) will look

> like, inside and out? There's now a virtual tour

> complete with Sarah Beeny music here...

>

> http://www.harrisdulwichboys.org.uk/information.as

> p?l=2&p=6

>

> The school opens in just three months time, though

> from the blurb it looks like Langbourne Primary

> school (near Kingsdale) is going to be the

> temporary base with boys being shipped across by

> minibus from the Harris girls school each day.

> Anyone out there have a son starting in September?

> Can you tell us more?

Thought it was 2010 !

reetpetite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Reg Smeeton Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Want to know what the new boys academy (being

> > built next to Friern Rd/Peckham Rye) will look

> > like, inside and out? There's now a virtual

> tour

> > complete with Sarah Beeny music here...

> >

> >

> http://www.harrisdulwichboys.org.uk/information.as

>

> > p?l=2&p=6

> >

> > The school opens in just three months time,

> though

> > from the blurb it looks like Langbourne Primary

> > school (near Kingsdale) is going to be the

> > temporary base with boys being shipped across

> by

> > minibus from the Harris girls school each day.

> > Anyone out there have a son starting in

> September?

> > Can you tell us more?

>

>

> Thought it was 2010 !

Nopoe, first intake is this September but they're scheduled to be based at Langbourne for the first year, then starting at the new site in September 2010, Langbourne's a small school though from memory, now sure how they're going to fit all these extra boys in, one of the reasons I didn't choose this school for my son.

My concerns (not sure about negative feelings) is what it will be like teaching 900 boys on a site previously used to teach 350. All the plans bout rotating breaks and using other schools' sports sites seem a bit fragile.

Ok, yes, I understand that and it seems like a legitimate concern.

But on this and previous threads about it there does seem to be something more than that. A real negativity or a feeling that this school can do nothing right. Am I imagining it?

Previous threads have expressed similar concerns to mine, and also some people seem to be cross about the permission being 'forced through' - I don't know whether it was or not so I can't comment on that.

And the idea of 900 young men between 11 and 18 pouring out of its gates en masse into Peckham and ED at 3.30 every day? I do get the feeling that some residents are nervous about that, to put it politely. Others (like me) with growing young men in their homes, are hopeful that it will solve an educational problem in our area.

Anna, I think the main concern people have expressed is the lack of play area. As others have pointed out above, there's almost no playground, and the fields of Peckham Rye opposite will be out of bounds. They promise 4 hours of PE and sport per week, which is the boys being bussed out to Herne Hill. But there will surely be days when boys don't go out into the fresh air once between 8.30am and 3.30pm. I hope I'm wrong.