Im thinking of moving to East Dulwich road, by Peckham Rye Park. Is it a nice area?

peckham Rye Park and ajoining common are lovely open spaces. The park has had lots of money spent on it and is a great place to walk and picnic. It is well used by local families, dog walkers (majority responsible cleaning up after their dogs),kids playing football and people jogging.

I prefer Peckham Rye Park to Dulwich Park which always feels a bit claustrophobic.

I moved to Peckham Rye in November with my boyfriend and we love it here. We don't have a garden so it's so nice to be able to go out to the Common. Gets lots of use - adults and kids organised sport, sun bathers, dog walkers, families, picnickers etc but never feels crowded. Personally never used the cafe because either far too busy or haven't had cash on me but think it's good that it's there. Doesn't feel dodgy at all to me, though I probably wouldn't cross it at night.

Peckham Rye is great for access to buses, Peckham Rye and East Dulwich stations, the useful shops of Peckham such as Boots, Smiths, Morrisons and the interesting shops, bars and restaurants of Lordship Lane.

You are thinking of moving by what I call my front garden. I have lived here 26 years.

Nunhead Cemetery is my back garden.

This is a precious and beautiful place to live and we like to keep it to ourselves.

The park - even more so since it benefiited from the ?million of Heritage Lottery Fund to do it up - is absolutely beautiful.

But no, stay where you are. ;)

dv1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No - it's horrible. Stay where you are.

>

> And if you read this forum, you can see what a

> venemous, complaining, angry, unahppy bunch live

> in the area

Venemous and unhappy enough for you to bother to sign up and pipe up on here, eh? It's great in SE22 near the actual Rye.

I guess you're looking at somewhere near the Tesco express (ripoff but handy). I've lived in a few spots in SE22 and like any eejit, will proudly say whichever street I am on is the best in the area... But seriously, it is the best in the area! When I was just off Lordship Lane, we hardly ever bothered going to the park (Dulwich or Peckham) even though both were just a 5-10min walk away. But living on the actual Rye, we roll into the park much more often. If you want to go to the bars and restaurants you?ll always make the effort, but if it?s a lazy day you?re after then the couch always seems a suitable alternative ? not so with the Rye so near. Love it. Can feel a little ropey very late at night, but I?ve never felt truly unsafe.

ssturges Wrote:

> Is the park especially dodgy? What Is the Area like? Thank you !

Hi ststurges - you may have noticed that some replies refer to the Common and the Park. It's an important distinction that local residents carry from generation to generation, unlike Council officers who generation by generation try to obliterate the distinction...

Peckham Rye Park, opened in 1984, is the enclosed land south of the caf? in the middle of the expanse of green, and where part of it is laid out as an Edwardian park, and recently restored. The whole park was created on the land formerly occupied by the Homestead Farm.

Peckham Rye Common however has for centuries been open ?common? land for the recreation of the general public. This stretches from the edge of the Park (where the caf? is, which is on the Common itself just outside the boundary of the Park), all the way to Peckham Rye Common North, across East Dulwich Road to the northern tip of the green land which ends at Nigel Road. Hope that is clearer than mud!

Huggers Wrote:

> and lovely new benches on Peckham Rye, plus the

> mysterious fenced bits have now been unfenced to

> reveal two lovely wildflower meadows full of

> poppies.

(which someone seems to have picked a few of - there were a lot more poppies about 2 days ago and I'm sure they flower for a lot longer than that!)

lenk Wrote:

> > reveal two lovely wildflower meadows full of

> > poppies.

>

> (which someone seems to have picked a few of -

> there were a lot more poppies about 2 days ago and

> I'm sure they flower for a lot longer than that!)

My poppies do usually flower for less than 48 hours so maybe it was a natural disappearance.

There wasn't that many poppies to start with. The meadows are quite disappointing as the ground cover is very sparse and there are a lot of stones where there should be more grasses. A good effort and idea but not quite what was planned for .looks a bit scruffy.

I live very near the bottom of the park (towards the top of Forest Hill Road + Honor Oak) and can say that I find it a lovely, peaceful and calm place to be. The neighbors are friendly and most people I meet are very polite. My only reservation about the whole SE22 thing is the slight inconvenience of the transport links. As long as your a patient type of person who doesn't mind a bit of a commute (and can hack it when your friends and colleagues boast about their uber-speedy journey times), you'll reap the benefits. There's loads of great pubs and foody places in the area and, of course, loads of green space. Perfect for summer. Plus you can park without needing a permit (mostly!).

ssturges Wrote:

> Is the park especially dodgy? What Is the Area

> like? Thank you !

Daft question, course its a nice area,lovely open spaces and some nice period properties.

Curiosity where are moving from?

Can't recommend the area enough. But you always get your bad apples no matter where you live.

Good luck and welcome to East Dulwich.

I've lived in this area as a single woman for 5 years. I love it and I frequently go to the park alone, the cafe is a great place to mooch and eat on your own without any hassle. The Rye Hotel is a great pub. I've got the cheapness of living in Peckham but all the amenities of Lordship lane a stone's throw away and Peckham Rye park and common are just as nice as other parks in the area, rather a hidden gem.

Enjoy

what a great thread. I can add that my wife and i have been in ed 8 years and we love it and if you ever have kids they will love it too. A great place that has something for everyone. It is still small enough to feel like a community. Mick.