Waitrose.........wait for it.......are looking at "Dulwich"

Had the inside track on Saturday from a property type who has recently been asked to source a suitable site for Waitrose in Dulwich........Alas he feels an appropriate site does not currently exist - but hey - at least they are looking. Its a start, so we may not be limited to double doses of Somerfields for too much longer.

The impression he gave was that it would be a bigger Waitrose not a Somerfield size - hence will prob not be Lordship Lane.

If they are only at the looking stage its a few years away I guess.

But at least we can feel the upmarket aura of being on their wishlist. That means lots (doesn't it).

You lot love your independent shops and then do backflips at the slightest mention of another supermarket coming to town... what's it to be?

Because another alpha male supermarket on the lane will definitely impact on all the beloved independent shops in the area.

They've been looking for years. SE21 & SE22 are two of the most affluent areas in south London. The surprise is that they are not here already. I heard that other locally located supermarkets were so worried they might buy the Crystal Palace Morrisons site that it was bid way over the odds to keep Waitrose out, but who knows, eh?

Wouldn't shed too many tears for the local traders, look how the Lane has changed since Sainsburys opened in Denmark Hill. There is a lot of retail evidence to suggest that far from destroying local shopping centres supermarkets can attract shopers from other areas who come and use the local shops. Also look how much better the produce and shopping experience (sorry) is with local shops than the supermarket. But the supermarket is relatively cheap and convenient. Like France and the massive hypermarkets with thriving shopping centres nearby. Rates and rents are the real enemy of small shopping centres.

I'd welcome a Waitrose or M & S to give Sainsburys, Somerfield, and to a certain extent Tesco's, a run for their money and, not least of all, to save me the 20 min drive to Beckenham every weekend.

Shopaholic Oldie