attempted mugging - North Cross Road

hey Boppers

Just a quick heads-up = about 20 minutes ago three guys attacked me and tried to steal my stuff! this happened at the corner of Hindmans Road and Uplands Road - difficult to describe the bastards as they all jumped me from behind and tried to stamp on my head, however they seemed in retrospect to be quite amateur as my screaming to high heaven and thrashing like a hooked trout seemed to have scared them off. I got lucky, very lucky as i was carrying valuable stuff and for what they did, compared to what could have happened was little more then a roughing up

Please, be careful when you are walking home at night - i was playing my music too loudly to hear anyone around me and so i think that was a factor - not trying to preach or anything, just take measures to make sure you are safe as you would a loved one

cheers

Myrmidon

there seems to have been a spate of muggings and attempted breakins, perhaps it would be useful if somehow there could be a greater presence of police on the streets, or just driving along the roads, just as a deterrent. Whilst muggings arent the serious of crimes, they can often go wrong and end up with disastorous outcomes!

hope you're ok

Hi all, thanks for your concerns - i'm alright, despite a sore jaw, dented ego and a username that needs serious reconsideration...

...emailed the Safer Neighbourhoods Team (thanks for the tip Shaw74) and am awaiting a response. I feel a little regretful that i didnt report it instantly as they culprits could've gone on to find more success last night and perhaps I could've done something straight away to prevent it

anyway, we'll see what happens with the sweeney.

Cheers

Arnold J Rimmer

ironic that i call myself 'myrmidon' and yet, when attacked, i certainly do not act like a one. Unless it was a myrmidon who didn't actually fight with Achilles, but stayed back on the boat and sorted out the admin -

"no no lads, you go ahead, i'll just ...er...hang back here, i simply have heaps on at the moment, after all, these tablets won't file themselves"

:)

In those bleak days before the Forum I believe just as many incidents occurred - the only difference - it used to be a yellow board that told you something had occurred. That is not to say that everyone should always be aware of their own personal safety as you would if you lived in a big city anywhere.

Sgt. Jackson and the safer neighbourhood team at ED Police would be interested in any crime/attempted crime, and have urged local residents to report to them. If 'crime' in an(our) area appears low, I believe police funding is diverted to areas which report 'more crimes' and ED could lose out in terms of police presence etc.

The Police can also follow patterns - where people are congregating in order to committ a criminal act, i.e. we had a series of muggings/attacks by a gang of teenage girls last year as reported by Forum readers, which were eventually reported to the police.

A friend in Sylvester Road recently reported the odd behaviour of a man who was acting very strangely in her road and was intimidating her elderly neighbours. May have just been someone a 'bit high' but he frightened her neighbours to the extent that they drove around the local streets for some while before atempting to go home in case the man was still hanging around.

i have tried to initiate a neighbourhood watch scheme several times on my street, with police never returning my calls, including safer neighbourhoods teams (passed me from peckham to east dulwich to nunhead back to east dulwich). i also tried to become a street warden for southwark... those requests also went unresponded to. i gave up in the end. am having an alarm system installed (for which we took out a second -- or is it third? -- mortgage).

as for being mugged... yeah, well, i am hyper conscious when walking alone at night (and i do walk alone at night). i ALWAYS wear sensible shoes so i can run, kick, etc. no high heels for me! hardly ever carry a handbag, never talk on my mobile or wear my iPod, and i move fast.

there's a lot you can do as an individual to prevent yourself becoming a target (though i accept some things are simply beyond our control), but i do wish that we were doing more as a community.

we are inviting all our neighbours round soon for a little get together so we know eachother, know who might vulnerable (older people living alone) and can look out for each other a bit. it's a start.

i have no idea whether the crime is getting worse around here, or it's just being mentioned more on this forum, etc. but i do know that crime tends to go up when the economy is bad.

I too wont carry a handbag if I'm just popping out say to a friends for a walk or to the shops .If I'm only going to be out for an hour or less I even leave my phone at home and just take a few pounds in my pocket if I'm just going to the shop.It always worries me when I see people on their phones or even just carrying them listening to music on their own and carrying a purse ,especially when its late or somewhere quiet.

I'm really suprised that people get so worried about stuff round here. I make sure i stay aware and do martial arts, but i rarely feel that i can't walk where i want or use my mobile, especially in East Dulwich.

Maybe people who are able, should think about increasing their fitness levels and doing some kind of martial arts. I'd hate to walk around being sacred all the time.

LegalEagle-ish Wrote:

> Maybe people who are able, should think about

> increasing their fitness levels and doing some

> kind of martial arts. I'd hate to walk around

> being sacred all the time.

Prevention is far better than cure though surely. And there is a difference between using your common sense and staying alert and walking round scared to death. If martial arts makes you more confident great, but I think in a situation that kind of response could make things worst.

But I feel spending too much time dwelling on these matters is often self-defeating.