Which road to buy on (Court lane or Woodwarde? )

Exactly KK. I mean this thread has got to be a wind-up. Are they referring to the quality of tarmac? The intensity of passing traffic? The 'calibre' of the neighbours (barf! vomit!)? The average number of bricks per house? The percentage of houses that have been re-mortgaged to finance a conservatory? The likelihood of a stabbing victim fleeing down it?

Perhaps the term "better" (which is a 'comparative deletion') does not refer to the other possible road at all! Perhaps it means "which road is better than a house in France?" "...better than a ticket for the men's final at Wimbledon?" "....better than diarrhoea?" "....better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?"

In the words of Austin Powers: "Whoop-ee-do! But what does it all MEAN, Basil?"

Really, siomss, ask a sensible question and you might get a sensible answer. This must be up there for the award for 'The Dopiest OP, 2009'.

Now now people, envy is one of the seven deadly sins...

But seriously, sionmcc, assuming this isn't a wind-up (which actually I don't think it is) I think you're unlikely to get many helpful responses. If you think about it, though, can you see why asking which is the "better" of probably the two most expensive roads in the area, during a recession, when most people can't afford to buy at all, might be a little unpopular?

It wasn't the financial aspect that was 'unpopular' with me, AnnaJ, it was the sheer stupidity of the question. Cross my heart and hope to die, I didn't even recognise either of the two roads in question. Now that I know there is a pompous snob element to the question as well, it makes me despise the OP even more.

Siomcc, keep on keeping up with the Jones's, dahling. It REALLY IS all about appearances (if you want a materialistic and vacuous life!)

I mean, why not just find a house in a nice road, that suits your needs and buy the damn thing. If you are looking at street-name kudos or status first there is something very wrong. And just in case anyone says "maybe they are looking at it as an investment - hence kudos being important", investments are all about where value goes from where you start, NOT absolute value. And 'fashions' can change. Remember Lady Bracknell vowing it would be possible to change which side of a certain London street was the "fashionable side"?

I?ll go out on a limb here and suggest that you buy the house that you prefer. If position means that much perhaps you should consider sleeping rough in St James Park. It?s a bit fresh in winter but you can?t beat it for location.

Court Lane has a lot of through traffic, and speed humps, and sunny days at the park would mean on street parking is full; but you may get a driveway in Court Lane so may not matter. Woodwarde is a lovely street, would be quiter, but depends if you think the postcode matters, and if you've got children whether there are any school catchment boundaries to consider?

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I?ll go out on a limb here and suggest that you

> buy the house that you prefer. If position means

> that much perhaps you should consider sleeping

> rough in St James Park. It?s a bit fresh in winter

> but you can?t beat it for location.

Well said. Mind you, the neighbours are a bit dodgy (foreigners, I believe! German and Greek!)

er, both very nice! I prefer the houses on Court Lane but then the traffic is definitely heavier (albeit not exactly heavy) and depending where on the road you are you will more than likley get people parked outside for the park.

If you have the kind of money that these roads require, there are lots of nice roads in this vicinity, I like the houses on Eynella Road, although there is the same Park parking issue. Not much traffic though!

Some/maybe all (?) homes in Court Lane are part of the Dulwich Estate as leasehold properties. Personally wouldn't want to have a leasehold if paying that much for a property. Not sure if this is the case with Woodwarde or not. Worth looking into though.

I wish I was in a quandry about whether to buy on Woodwarde or Court Lane - very nice! Court Lane is probably a bit busier in terms of traffic, although I guess that's not a big deal if you get one of the houses set back off the road with off street parking. Weekends it's pretty busy with traffic for the park and the village, people tend to park on Court Lane. Woodwarde Rd is lovely, seems much quieter, although as others have pointed out it's SE22, not SE21, so it depends on whether postcode means anything to you!! Definitely worth considering school catchment etc. if it's relevant to you.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. This thread isn't a wind up, I'm from out of the area and don't really know. I did not mean to offend or upset and yes we have children and as it is a massive outlay for us in what is a recession we wanted to get views from you guys who are in the know before we buy. I see this is a delicate subject but it looks like Court Lane has it pipped by the responses.

Don?t worry I doubt you?ve actually offended anyone. The facetiousness is just a built feature of this forum and one not to be taken too seriously.

Personally I would say that they are so similar to each other that unless there is a school catchment issue it won?t make much difference.

Yes ignore it! Both roads are lovely and you can't go wrong with either!! Definitely visit on a weekend though to check out the traffic / parking situation. The traffic isn't that bad but there are definitely a lot more parked cars at weekends - not really a problem if you have a driveway which I think most of the houses do :-)