Plant theft from Peckham Rye Park

Someone has been stealing plants from the oval and the sexby garden. One of the plants from the sexby garden was memorial rosebush and the people that donated it are very upset.

The other plants go to make up the display at the oval.

Please keep your eyes open and tell anyone that you see stealing them not to!

thanks.

This is so dreadful. We do need to watch out for this, as I remember hearing a few years ago that the culprits are often terribly nice ladies from Dulwich who consider that as rate payers the plants belong to them anyway.

But we shall all be village-ant...

I was walking through the Sexby last night.

There were some French guys in there drinking wine and taking photos of each other .

Crazy times.

Didn't see any missing plants, mind you that's quite a knack if you knew what plants were there to realise they were missing.

I wonder at the kind of people who steal plants. My mum had 2 large potted plants stolen from the front garden in the middle of the night. They would have been quite heavy to carry away. What do these people do with them? Care for them lovingly in their own home? How much money can they make to sell them on? Who would buy?

also the bridge in the japanese garden has been completly dismantled and destroyed by boring vandals, luckily a member of the public saw them doing it and chased them...stupid kids ran to their home and were thus caught! Not much will happen to them though as too young...doubt if they were descerning enough to steal ornamental roses though!

With the continued fall in the price of electronic consumer goods, mature and unusual plants could be targeted by thieves as a more profitable alternative.

I accept they may be harder to offer around down the pub though.

Sensing another smacking opportunity, Brendan?

When the park was done up a while back there was immediately some vandalism of the new flower beds (which were then swiftly fenced off) and a couple of the benches in the corners of the Sexby were also trashed. But since then and until now things seem to have been left well alone.

If the culprits are caught, perhaps half a day as Pure collectors on the Rye would be fitting. Or Brendan could just smack them to death, of course.

On the east side of the lake, sorry 'pond', there are two benches by the proper seats, that were the lintels / tops of the 'Girls' and 'Boys' entrances to the old school, and they look so good being sat on by older girls and boys! An imaginative idea to re-use them thus. Would be amazed to see those being carried off, but sadly would not be surprised!

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On the east side of the lake, sorry 'pond', there

> are two benches by the proper seats, that were the

> lintels / tops of the 'Girls' and 'Boys' entrances

> to the old school, and they look so good being sat

> on by older girls and boys! An imaginative idea to

> re-use them thus. Would be amazed to see those

> being carried off, but sadly would not be

> surprised!

They would look fantastic in my rockery, you got the GPS coordinates?

reetpetite Wrote:

> Well I've seen it all now and unless there is

> another explanation the three new benches on the

> Rye by the One o'clock club have gone!!!!

they're now elsewhere on the Rye on the path that cuts from Barry Road to the corner of Nunhead Lane one the other side, keep your wig on.

Polmoche Wrote:

> Very sad. There's another bridge that's been

> destroyed as well. Looks like all the top bits

> were simply pushed off into the stream below. The

> last time I looked you could still see the bits

> all flung about the banks.

This happenedto the bridges sometime ago now , thankfully the new construction will start shortly.

The Park is BEAUTIFUL. We are SO LUCKY to have this park. I always thank the worker/gardeners when I see them.

This is my front garden you're all in, by the way! I'm in the third floor flat! Pic just taken on mobile in sun so couldn't quite see what I was looking at, but not bad....!

file.php?5,file=5088

About 18 months ago, I saw 2 kids aged about 12-15 years old, they had bin liners & were quite bold & open about filling these bags with plants. I asked them what they were up to, but they just mumbled something about helping a friend!!!

I called the police on my mobile, I waited but nobody showed up. The following day I saw 2 guys patrolling the park & told them what I had seen. They said that some of the kids are actually stealing to order for adults!!!!

What to do? In my experience when you are brave enough to stand up & be counted, everyone else just looks the other way & pretends that they have not seen anything. Unfortunately, that is the society we have become. Societies tolerence of these lowlifes has enabled them to feel untouchable.

Unfortunately reetpetite is correct. Those benches have been stolen. The other ones on the common are brand new.

This seems to be part of a spate of thefts in the area. The allotment owners at one tree hill have had sheds (!) and other equipment stolen as well.

Please be vigilant and report anyone trying to sell any of the above to you from 'the back of a van' etc to the police.

The police have been informed of all these latest criminal acts.

thanks