Rally at DMK Hill Station to save the line! - come along if your about

Save the South London Line between Victoria & London Bridge

Date: Friday, June 26, 2009

Time: 12:00pm - 1:00pm

Street: Denmark Hill

City/Town: Camberwell, United Kingdom

Disc.

Rally outside Denmark Hill Station to protest at the planned axing of the South London Line between London Bridge and Southwark.

Midday with Tessa Jowell, MP and Harriet Harman, MP 26th June 2009.

Come along and show your support!

Hi

I am not at liberty to discuss this, nor is this my station or company, Denmark Hill is serviced by Southeastern. These kind of issues are out of Station Managers hands, all we can do is listen and take the concerns back to our superiors

Sorry!

Barry

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm a Member of Kings College Hospital Foundation

> Trust and have been sent postcards to fill out

> about this and send off, to her. So I have. What

> does SMB Jones have to say about this - he must

> have an opinion one way or another!

alachlan Wrote:

> Nice choice of timing I see so most people that

> use it will be at work

I'm sure it gives an opportunity to people who work at Kings to be there during their lunch hour - but there is also far greater chance of it hitting more news slots with a midday protest.

> Nice choice of timing I see so most people that use it will be at work

i made this point to val shawcross (our local london assembly rep), and she mentioned that it was the only way of getting something done QUICKLY, and also to get some heavy-weights along (Jowell, Harman) and be sure to get a chance of decent press attention... on reflection, i think that's the right thing to do to raise visibility, rather than risk something watered-down and that could actually hinder the journey of the rest who are unaffected by the decision... i'm sure not everyone will agree, but i thought this seemed logical to me.

> alachlan Wrote:

> I'm sure it gives an opportunity to people who

> work at Kings to be there during their lunch hour

Errr nurses and doctors rarely HAVE lunch hourse. But it will be nice to see the managers, managers' managers, administrators and so on there. I'll be there if I can.

Plese see also the thread on the planned closure of the South London Line. This extract below from there is the answer on the timing of this rally which is the big (we hope) media launch dictated by things not under our control. But everyone can help all the time by distributing fliers and collecting signatures. Go to the SRUG campaign webpage to get the info and print them out. http://www.peckhamvision.org/brg/rail-cuts

The launch rally is being held at Denmark Hill station on FRIDAY 26 JUNE MIDDAY as that was when both local MPs Tessa Jowell and Harriet Harman could be here together locally, and draw the media to help get the campaign heard loudly. There are plans to have other media attractive events at several of the stations. These might be in the early morning rush hours so hopefully all who want to make their presence felt can do that then - come to the station a bit earlier and help collect signatures on the petitions. I will post details when they finalise. But also emails to the Rail Minister and the Mayor and to the local press are all realy important. Take a look at the SRUG campaign page http://www.peckhamvision.org/brg/rail-cuts for a summary of all the actions needed, and do them one by one!

In the meantime, you can download petitions and fliers from here http://www.peckhamvision.org/brg/srug/news Please carry them with you so you can talk to fellow passengers on the trains and the station when you travel, and collect signatures and encourage them to sign up to the mailing list or online at Facebook so we can grow a large number of well informed voices. We need to keep going and adding thousands of us to the lists.

KoolBananas Wrote:

> Is the rally really restricted to an hour?

That's the time the MPs and media will be there. It is in the open so we can continue talking but it won't be organised. It sounds from some of the posts that there may be some demand for a real rally meeting type of thing. Could people on here say if that is so and where such an event in their opinion, and day of week and time of day, be the best to hold it? Before that anyway the idea is to do some organised leafletting and petition signature collecting at the stations one morning again to catch media attention), so there will be that chance to join in with fellow rail users. But we will be glad to hear views on a rally/meeting.

Went down to this earlier, and think organisers did a great job of getting some heavy-weight local support along (Jowell, Harman, Shawcross, Linton), including representatives from all 3 main parties. Big thumbs-up to Eileen too for giving a strong and impassioned view on behalf of SRUG around why this is important to all of us.. Local media there in force, so check tonight's news if you were unable to make it. Definitely a big success, and hopefully the first of many.

Act now, people -- sign the petition and get engaged, else this service will go and it'll be too late to act. It's two minutes of your time:

http://www.peckhamvision.org/brg/rail-cuts