6am bin collections - Friern Road and surrounding area

I was wondering if anyone else has an issue with the 6am bin collections that happen on a Saturday morning on Friern Road and the surrounding area. I've lived on the road for 3 years now and have taken to sleeping in the spare room on a Friday night to avoid being woken up on one of the only days I get a lie in (well till 7:30 when the children wake up). I complained to Southwark council about it a couple of years ago and for about 6 months they came slightly later but it's been early again for a while now. I'm thinking of writing again and would definitely do so if I discovered I am not the only one who is disturbed by this. I do remember a thread on this a while ago but couldn't find anything in the archives.

The trouble is that whatever time of day they go past it's probably disturbing someone. Night workers would probably be disturbed if it was in the middle of the day, for example.

At least you only have it once a week - we have the Royal Mail vans speeding down our road at 5am 5 days a week! But as the alternative would be to get double glazing or something we just live with it. Although I can recommend ear plugs - they make quite a difference!

Yes - have ear plugs and also only single glazing. I guess it's just what you have to put up with when you are a light sleeper. I suppose at least it's predictable (unlike the moterbikes/scooters that seem to joy ride round our street around 3 in the morning some nights).

Ignore the sarcasm - 6a.m. (sometimes even earlier) is far too early for a residential area. I suggest you call the Veolia depot in Croydon first and complain directly; this helped for a few weeks, but you may need to keep on the case with them and with the Council! Can't find the Croydon depot number, but got it by calling their main number: 020 7812 5000.

I've lived here for many, many years. First we had the Sunday am collection and then it changed to Saturday's, some times at 5.30 am. Years ago, the Council told me that they review/rotate the collection days/time every two years, but nothing's changed.

About time that the residents around bellenden Rd got the saturday lie in for a while for a while - we've had the early bin sweep for ages now. Time to share. Actually the bin men are as quiet as they can be and do try to make as little noise as a huge dump truck can make.

Before I moved from Friern Road I had developed a reaction to the binmen that was positive. As i had been woken up by them I knew it was a Saturday and didn't need to go to work - so I would go back to sleep with a smile on my face. Some strange Pavlovesque reaction I think.

• 2 weeks later...