Barry Road closed (June 27th)

SueJ

Hi

I am in work today and it is all very quiet outside, Barry Road has been closed from junction with Upland Road since around 12.15pm

I heard that air ambulance had been called but nothing else

Anyone know what has happened?

Sue

It was a serious collision between a moped and delivery van at the junction of Whateley Road / Underhill Road and Barry Road. Although the air ambulance crew were on the scene, the moped rider was taken to hospital in a regular ambulance.

I was involved in a large accident at that junction in February. The one when the wall was knocked down - that was me. Well, it was the taxi who flew out of Underhill without even slowing down, let alone stopping and taking a look. He ploughed into my car and sent us both flying into the wall. Not a good advert for private hire cabs!

I saw another one a couple of weeks ago at the same junction. Something really needs to be done.

Underhill Road has no marking at the junction (on the north-west side) and I wonder if this has been a contributing factor. Surely a junction should have markings! There is a pedestrian crossing yards away from the junction. Maybe they could make it into a proper crossroads with traffic light control.

How many accidents do there have to be before the council take some action. Or does it require a fatal accident before they get off their backsides?

You forgot to add that there is a bus stop near the juction as well. You know its bad when even the police use the road as a rat run. I was there yesterday just after the accident. I want to say massive well done to the two young women who comforted the young moped rider before the ambulance arrived.

I am not a fan of speed camera's or traffic lights but I think something should be done - there is too much going on at that junction.

Riding down Friern / Barry / Upland on a motorbike, you find yourself craning your neck round junction corners, because so many cars just bop across the intersecting roads with gay abandon. Anything more than 20mph round them there parts is asking for trouble.

Using the crossing at Goodrich Rd/Barry Rd it's evident barely any drivers take notice of the speed limit - often seeming pretty narked to have to slow/stop to let someone cross. Don't know what would work but agree some actions needed.

I live reasonably close to this junction and my husband gets annoyed when I go out of my way to avoid it (which is not always possible). I should think after this last accident a serious review of the junction should be done by the police and the road authorities (is this the council?). In the meantime, I really hope the moped driver is OK. Not sounding too good if helicopter was called. Poor lad.

I used to live on Friern and was being driven around by my aunt who didn't know the area, she flew straight across the junction with Underhill/Barry without even stopping. I have never been more scared in my life, she didn't even see it till she was half-way across. Bad driving, but seems to be an recurring issue.

I felt bad about the reason for it being there but the kids loved the chance to see the helicopter land etc. Thought the crew were great, letting the kids get up close - I saw some sitting in the doorway. We had to leave before it took off but just hope there weren't any tears when it had to go!

nunheadmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I felt bad about the reason for it being there but

> the kids loved the chance to see the helicopter

> land etc. Thought the crew were great, letting

> the kids get up close - I saw some sitting in the

> doorway.

Rubber-necking at such a tender age.

Bless.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

>

> Rubber-necking at such a tender age.

> Bless.

No, simple innocent awe at a helicopter in real life - ours certainly didn't comprehend really why it was there. And it was parked up doing nothing long enough for ours to finish lunch, go see it and get bored and decide an ice-cream was more appealing. Not quite such cynical rubber necking, I'd say. More the crew taking the chance to do some PR to pass the waiting time.

You're probably spotting the red HEMS chopper more often, because Kings is in the process of becoming a trauma centre like the Royal London.

It's an ongoing process, but the ambulance service and HEMS having starting bringing trauma patients to Kings instead of the nearest hospital, because Kings has (or will soon have) the services set up to deal with major trauma. So, an increase in sightings of the helicopter doesn't necessarily mean an increase in accidents or crime in the area.

Oh come on Anna, you expect us to belive such a sensible answer from someone close to the facts? We all know tha it's because SE22 has a stratospheric crime rate and the drivers on Barry Road are all in their own version of Deathrace 2000