Best Place/Area/Road to Live in ED?

I'm moving down to London in the next few weeks. Looking to move to the ED area.

Is there anywhere in ED that you would recommend over others taking distance from ED station & LL (the closer the better) aswell as safety into account?

Thanks

Look at the Met Police crime map - it breaks 'East Dulwich' SE22 down into Wards (i.e. South Camberwell, Peckham Rye, East Dulwich, Village), and also breaks each of those SE22 wards into sub wards. It seems crime levels are low right across SE22.

http://maps.met.police.uk/ (put SE22 into Search box)

For distance to train station best use the map for guidance.

The crime/ safety thing it really just to help me narrow down a home search. I didn't want to have two properties to choose from, and to choose the one in a 'unsafe' part of town, when a quick question on the forums could sway me to the 'safer' place.

From what I can gather, theres is no area safer than the other, but I'm sure there are roads where you think "don't go down there after xx:xx".

EDIT:

After looking at the crime maps for the area, I'm looking at the numbers and types of crime (which are amazingly low for London btw) and am I right in saying alot of the reported incedents seem to be your average problems when you get a lot of pubs/bars in the area.

>> From what I can gather, theres is no area safer than the other,

>> but I'm sure there are roads where you think "don't go down there after xx:xx"

Nah I don't think it's that kind of area where certain streets are out of bounds late at night. You could also check out Google Maps to get more of a feel for individual roads. Personally I'd want to live 5 to 10 minutes from East Dulwich train station, and on a quiet street which for me would rule out anything on a bus route.

I live in Barry road which has seen two murders in a month and I have dwelt in this road for 7 years and have had no problems with any violence mugging etc.

I might go out tonight and get set upon by care in the community nutters or be mistaken for a drug dealer and get shot. You pays your money.................................even in the richest of areas including St Johns Wood, you take your choice.

Best of luck with a property bargain you should stick the boot in on price at the moment.

Im on Ferris currently (about to move to oakhurst) and I find that part of ED great as I am right in the middle of ED or Peck Rye stations so I have more choice of transport (which includes buses) rather than primarily being closer to the one of them and still only a 5 min walk to LL..

Hope you find the right spot for you!!

I don't think there are any "bad" roads.

In terms of safety, i think its a case of looking at each house and considering what it would be like getting home late at night - ie how close to the main roads, well lit etc. As you mentioned, crime is low in ED but it is still prudent to be careful and use the same amount of common sense you would anywhere.

I am on Goodrich which works well for me (and I have never felt unsafe), I have the Barry Road buses a couple of minutes in one direction, the LL buses a minute in the other direction, I can get to both Dulwich park and the busy part of LL in less than 10 minutes and it takes me 15 minutes to walk to the station!

In a perfect world the station would be 5 minutes closer (and go direct to town with no stops as the crow fly's - oh and not have packed commuted time trains) but then unless it was the station that moved the park would get further...... so actually on balance it's pretty darn good!

Oh and we have a very friendly corner shop that sells pretty much everything within a minutes walk!

move to Nunhead instead, and then you can fashion all the bundles of ?50s you save into a lovely comfy armchair.

Then when you get bored of sitting on that you can go and spend them in the Man of Kent, Nunhead's premier nitespot/brasserie

Msgee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> move to Nunhead instead, and then you can fashion

> all the bundles of ?50s you save into a lovely

> comfy armchair.

>

> Then when you get bored of sitting on that you can

> go and spend them in the Man of Kent, Nunhead's

> premier nitespot/brasserie

BRILLIANT!

sigh

If I were you I would live as close to Lordship Lane as possible. That way you will be on the doorstep of the groundbreaking Adventure Bar, the atmospheric Magdala, the chav free Bishop and the countless organic bookmakers and take away restaurants. You'll have to pay a premium for your house but it's definately worth it.

we live just off the south (ish) end of LL, past the Magnolia. 10 mins from the station, 10 mins from dulwich park, 5 mins or so to the 'middle' of the hub of LL, 10 mins to peckham rye .... only problem is we are so close to LL and the busses are noisy but apart from that a great spot...

If you search most roads in ED, you?ll find a thread on here moaning about some attribute of said road ? from firework displays to rude van drivers, bloodied drive-by gangland slayings to child-abducting clowns.

The area sound positively horrible going by this ? you?re best off sticking a pin in a map.

I'd say avoid roads with carparks, carwashes, estates, those clogged with estate agents cars, known for street parties, have businesses backing on to them, have mad ppl as residents (i.e. those always intoxicated, clinically have a few screws loose), have badly behaved noisy children(young and teens)... anything else?