Jacks (cafe)

I love Jacks and though it is mildly irritating that it is often closed (last two Saturdays I've trailed down there on my way to the "Strip" only to find it closed due to lack of staff) I actually celebrate the fact that we have a successful cafe that is based on the "idler" business model rather than a more "the Apprentice" one.

Hear hear CitizenED. James is committed and I'd say pretty passionate about what he produces. It's a full on business to run but I respect the fact that he likes to have a bit of a life too. Don't think he's chasing the money and certainly not short of customers.

Jacks is brilliant but one of the key players has been poorly for a while, so I suspect this is what they are working around . When it's shut I just patronise some of the culinary surfeit of lordship lane which just makes jacks even more appreciated when it is open again.

That's very true, which is why I was lamenting their erratic opening times (and I am of course feeling suitably guilty now). The Mag, great pub that it is, is pretty poor for breakfast (I once ordered toast and they looked at me askance when I asked for butter to go with it, and said they didn't have such a thing!).

Maybe I need to venture beyond Pellatt Road!

the onion tarts are out of this world with onions caramilised and juicy. Lovely cafe au lait- wonderful juice mixtures (carrot apple and ginger is my fave) and yummy thick soups, sometimes cold pea and mint ones. The food is just jolly nice in an unpretentious environment. There's a little garden at the back.

Another wonderful caff if you can risk the parking (in brixton you risk a ticket even with a valid ticket)is the lounge in railton road opposite the wholefood shop... The paninis are transcendentally delish and it's very reasonable. They do those portugese custard tarts too. Sofas and plenty of airy space. Well worth the trip if you are stocking up on giant bags of luxury organic muesli/porridge across the road in the heroically and legendarily bitterly staffed wholefood shop .

Oh! and me and my lunching chums have started to go to the Frog and Bucket(?)if that's what it's called, the deli on that main drag that takes you from Morrisons to Nunhead. Again, nice soup and paninis, great salads and a bit of shopping while youre there- they do very nice organic suffolk beers at a very reasonable price too, a great accompaniment to this late evening tennis.

davidC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My only issue with Jacks is...... the grumpy

> staff! Apart from the owner.

>

I always thought most of the staff were pretty friendly, though it is true that recently there have been some who aren't very cheerful.

Whenever I have been in there I have always felt the staff can't be bothered. They can't even crack a smile most of the time. Theres nothing particularly special about it, apart from that big old cash register they have. thats quite impressive