window knocker

we had a man knock at our window just now (23.30) asking for ?45 to get his car from the pound, he'd parked on double red lines - could have been genuine, but just felt odd as he knocked on the window rather than the door.

happened to anyone else recently? very curious about this....

STRANGE!!!....we had the same thing happen last night..it was about 11pm ish, he knocked on the door followed by a knocking on the window (which woke our little one) said he was new to the area (couple of doors down) his car had been parked on double red, had his keys & wallet in glove compartment of the car & needed to get his car from the pound - did we have ?10???.

Thought it seemed odd as we know our neighbours & we definately didn't recognise or know him....

Of course it's not genuine!

Where is the nearest double red line?

Where is the nearest pound?

It only costs ?45 to get your car back? Yeah, right.

Why doesn't he go to the cash machine (or just use his credit card at the pound)?

If his wallet was in the car (ha!) why doesn't he ask a friend to help out, rather than knocking on windows?

It was in Copleston road...

My instinct was to think it was a scam which is why we said 'sorry but no cash on us...'... but the guy didn't sound like he was winding us up, he actually sounded very genuine.... however the situation was odd.

It freaked me out a bit as we had the window open as it was a hot night and I was alone (female) in the room when I heard the knocking - which obviously scared me a little bit as you don't expect to get knocks on the window at that time - or any time for that matter... thankfully my boyfriend was in and he came into the room and went to the window..

First it was ?10 then ?45 was mentioned later... he said he'd parked on double red lines in Stockwell.Anyway he said he had just moved into the flat 2 doors down... so i guess if it is genuine we will soon find out

Bluebrick - do you also live in Copleston road?

Keys locked in the glove box?

How many people keep their car and house keys seperate and lock the house keys in the glove box?

Ask yourself, if the same happened to you, would you call a friend, speak to the police if you were genuinely unable to contact anyone or get into your house, or just start knocking on strangers' windows.

Poppy-bees....it hasn't happened for sometime but we had MANY callers late at night or in the very early hours of the morning, requesting cash for all kinds of reasons, always claiming to be a neighbour. One said her mother was a neighbour of ours and lived at 38, we live in the 200's! Apparently she (the neighbour) had a heart attack and was taken to Guys Hospital, caller needed cash for a cab. Kings is by far our nearest hospital. When I called at 38 the family who lived there confirmed for me that it was indeed a scam. Just go with your gut instinct....

More holes in that story than swiss cheese with extra holes.....

So he walked from Stockwell to ED to knock on random windows for money? If he showed up to the pound and said the cash was in the car they were going to tell him to bugger off? And as AlfieNoakes said, who leaves their keys and wallet in the car anyway, generally if you go somewhere in your car you'll take your wallet with you when you leave the car.

If he turns up again tell him to come back when he has a better story.

how would he know where the pound is?? is there a ticket?? How can there even be a ticket?? where were these red lines?? this story has more holes than the condom i prepared for my dad, when i wanted a lil brother/ sister.

I'd pretend that i had a girlfriend who was a cop & phone her in order to "help him get off" his ticket, ask for his details & enjoy every moment while he squirms & trys to get out..

Andystar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> this story has more holes

> than the condom i prepared for my dad, when i

> wanted a lil brother/ sister.

lol, that's so much better than my 'more holes than...' analogy

*tips hat to Andystar*