Banfield's Wood Yard Site, Underhill Road

Does anyone know what's happening with the derelict wood yard site? It looks like it's been broken into a few times and if someone gets in there and happens to start a fire it could cause serious damage to the property around it.

His kids just didn't want to follow him in the woodyard business, so when retirement time came the place just folded. I was told (could be wrong) that he locked the gates and walked away. Nothing there to sell off really.

Guess there isn't the demand for enterprises like that as there used to be. Shame.

I used to buy timber from him for many years and his son started to carry on with the business. But in 2007 he put a notice up stating that he could'nt compete with the other local suppliers and he would close at Easter. I assume that he sold the site to a developer and made some good money for himself. A smart dael for him, but what happens next?

It is my understanding that he did sell to a developer just before the slump in the market and did very nicely from the deal so could have a very comfortable retirement.

I would imagine that who ever bought it are either waiting for planning permission or holding on till the market picks up.

The guy who owned it was a really nice bloke. I hope he is enjoying himself.

Mr Banfield has sold the site with planning permission for six houses.

When I last spoke to him he wondered wether he should put a note on the gate apologising to the neighbourhood for the state of the place since he sold out.

As there was nothing he could do about it, as he has no access it seemed a bit pointless.

It is quite correct about being uncompetetive, he could not compete with Merton Timber in Grove Vale if you wanted a lorry load.

They are going to put a little shopping centre there i have heard, 2 stories, little shops like the one's that sell mobile phone stuff and a little news agents, a small chemist is also looking to move on site but is trying to do some needle x stuff so that might be rejected.

Very simple to answer, go to the Southwark planning portal, you will see permission has been granted for 6 x 4 bed houses. However, I have been informed a further consultation procees is underway with ARHAG Housing Association to look to fund this with the Developer and change the use to a large hostel/ short stay refuge for thier vulnerable residents or asylum seekers. Will be an interesting time for all those invloved! Bring back Banfields!!

The one you refer to is privately run. ARHAG are a social registered landlord - www.arhag.co.uk. They operate these sort of schemes across London with varying degrees of success. I don't know if local public opinion would be suffcient to persuade developer or ARHAG to reconsider thier scheme. Even if the revised scheme is not actioned, as the build is being funded by Arhag, they could retain the current planning and house thier residents anyway.

The guy that brought that site aranged a loan with the bank to build six flats to sell at ?600000 a pop went back to the bank when sale completed they told him they had changd there mind that was some months ago he has now got the finance but will have to reduce the price to ?500000.

Bob S