Disabled Parking Bays / Seats....

My partner & I went to Sainsburys in DKH yesterday. We parked in a disbled bay & I put my blue badge on the windscreen. Juat as we were getting out of the car, a taxi drove into the disabled space next to us. The middle aged driver got out, he had no blue badge. I asked him why he had parked in the space, given that he wasn't disabled. His response was "Because I want to". When we got into the shop, we reported him at Customer Services.

When we had finished shopping, my partner went to the car, whilst I went to collect the bagfull of medication I need from the pharmacy. When I got back to the car, my partner told me that the cabbie had been ticketed & that he had to told him that we had reported him. He was, of course, not too happy. He questioned why I was entitled to a blue badge, which my partner refused to answer, as it was none of his business. Another lady joined the conversation, saying that she too was fed up with non Blue Badgers parking in disabled spaces and like me was fed up with having to justify to others her right to a BB as her disablity, like mine, is not immediately evident.

Additionally, on most trains there are designated seats for disabled people. I often have to ask to be given one, much to the evident annoyance of people sitting in them. It is embarrassing for me to have to ask. In some European countries, disabled people are issued with badges or armbands, so other people know. I have even considered buying a walking stick, which I don't need, just so other people will make some allowance for me.

Basically, I'm just asking people to be understanding, the parking bays and seats on trains are there for a reason. Looking at the individuals who have the need to use them may not always answer the question why they have that need. However, to stand on a packed train, having already let a few go through as they were too packed, and explain why I have that need is both humiliating and upsetting.

Nice one Aurocaught

just as an add - i am pregnant and have never once found an disabled/pregnancy empty seat on the tube or bus, nor have i once been offered one.

ironically it was when i was in the early stages of my pregnancy (no bump) that i really needed that seat.... i felt terrible and often had to get off the tube/bus just to have a break and/or let the nausea settle down

Telling people you're pregnant with no bump, didn't feel like an option

i have a huge bump now and feel great... typical

(I still haven't been offered a seat as yet)

R&A Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> just as an add - i am pregnant and have never once

> found an disabled/pregnancy empty seat on the tube

> or bus, nor have i once been offered one.

R&A, I think you have just been unlucky as I frequently see people giving up their seats on the bus. Can't comment on trains/tubes as I rarely use them.

At busy times you can't expect them to be left empty 'just in case' whilst all the fit and healthy types are standing squashed like sardines - the idea is that you give up your seat to someone who needs it more than you do. If your disability or condition is not obvious, just ask and have faith that most people are nice and don't mind giving up ther seat for you. You are always welcome to mine :).

I think people do give up their seats when they realise, it's just awkward sometimes to know if someone would be offended if you offer them a seat. I've often tried to peak over my book to work out if someone is preggers or just a bit podge, and if i'm unsure I leave it. It's the same with older people, you just don't know if they'd be offended or happy. I think if i ever had a bun in the oven I'd get a badge because it's also awkard to ask.

As for parking in the disabled bays, there is no excuse for it, and good for you AC for telling customer services.

..and I'm surprised, but very pleased, to hear that Sainsburys do actually ticket people parked wrongly in the disabled bays. I wonder how many of their own employees have been issued with tickets?

Sainsbury's parking tickets have the same status as any other privately issued ticket. i.e. None, unless you are pay up 'cause you don't know better. Which is bad - maybe the council wardens should be given powers to issue tickets for disabled bays on private land?

Sophiesofa: the pregnant/porky conundrum haunts me. Giving up my seat to someone who needs it more than me (whether old, injured, pregnant) puts a spring in my step for hours. But there's no way to play safe on the pregnant/porky conundrum. If she's not pregnant, she knows why you've given up your seat.

So, those who are expecting: ask with a smile and you will receive your seat with a smile in return!

When I was pregnant I was genuinely overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity Londoners in general showed me, particularly in East Dulwich. I was regularly offered seats on crowded trains/buses and people held the door open for me more. It went some way to restoring my faith in human kindness - there are really lots of lovely people out there as well as the less appealing individuals who get discussed far more on this forum!

Loz Wrote:

> Sainsbury's parking tickets have the same status

> as any other privately issued ticket. i.e. None,

> unless you are pay up 'cause you don't know

> better. Which is bad - maybe the council wardens

> should be given powers to issue tickets for

> disabled bays on private land?

>

> Sophiesofa: the pregnant/porky conundrum haunts

> me. Giving up my seat to someone who needs it

> more than me (whether old, injured, pregnant) puts

> a spring in my step for hours. But there's no way

> to play safe on the pregnant/porky conundrum. If

> she's not pregnant, she knows why you've given up

> your seat.

>

> So, those who are expecting: ask with a smile and

> you will receive your seat with a smile in return!

Thought as much (about the parking tickets that is). ANd for those who feel duty bound to pay a ticket no matter who the issuer is, but feel that it has been unjustly issued, is there an appeals process?

Perhaps Londoners have got more fed up recently. I'm with R&A here - I have never been offered a seat, even when wearing my "baby on board" badge (which I only pull out when feeling really awful to avoid the pregnant/porky conundrum, otherwise, I figure it's uncomfortable, but won't kill me to stand).

Ah yes, i have been the victim of 3 incorrect pregnancy seat offerings (not for a long time thankfully) - when i put weight on it goes straight to my belly, and to be fair it could look like early stages of pregnancy. Although they had the best of intentions it did leave me feeling completely crap, expecially when everyone else on the tube commences staring at said belly. I agree with Loz, just ask for a seat and you shall (hopefully) receive!

Loz Wrote:

> Sainsbury's parking tickets have the same status

> as any other privately issued ticket. i.e. None,

> unless you are pay up 'cause you don't know

> better. Which is bad - maybe the council wardens

> should be given powers to issue tickets for

> disabled bays on private land?

>

> Sophiesofa: the pregnant/porky conundrum haunts

> me. Giving up my seat to someone who needs it

> more than me (whether old, injured, pregnant) puts

> a spring in my step for hours. But there's no way

> to play safe on the pregnant/porky conundrum. If

> she's not pregnant, she knows why you've given up

> your seat.

>

> So, those who are expecting: ask with a smile and

> you will receive your seat with a smile in return!

Just had a thought. If council wardens were to issue tickets for parking offences on private land, where would the fines go - the council or the land-owner? I for one would be a little hacked off at the council using private land to generate public sector revenue.

People should, of course, give up seats, but as dukesdenver said, you can't expect people not to sit in them if there is no one needing them at the time, just so long as these people are then willing to give them up.

An interesting point regarding identification of disability. Visually Impaired people, particularly older people with macular degeneration or cataracts, will often be issued with a "symbol cane", which, as the name suggests, is there simply to show other people that there is a visual impairment, rather than to be used as an actual mobility aid (as these conditions will usually leave enough residual vision, that mobility won't become a problem). The problem with this, as with a badge or arm band, is that it can make a person appear more vulnerable which can be off putting.

I am partially sighted, so I get a freedom pass, and I can't even have it in it's orange card holder, as I just don't want to advertise the fact that I am somehow "disabled" to anyone, as I don't look at myself that way, I just can't see as well as most. That is of course, my personal choice, and I would never judge anyone who chose to "advertise" their disability, particularly when it benefits them in terms of members of the public being more helpful to them.

Going back the the OP, good on you for reporting the guy. A pet hate of mine is people parking in these bays without the badge. Another, even bigger, hate is when people use a badge that may belong to a family member, for their own use, when said family member is not with them!

A police force in America once targetted drivers who abused disabled bays in supermarkets.

They stopped them once on the public highway and found the majority were driving cars that were illegal in some way,usualy insurance ,license or unpaid tickets.

The rationale the police used was that people who flouted minor rules and abused facilities often thought that the law was only for others to obey.

I wonder if this would apply to the Sainsbury 'bay bandits'?

An interesting point regarding identification of disability. Visually Impaired people, particularly older people with macular degeneration or cataracts, will often be issued with a "symbol cane", which, as the name suggests, is there simply to show other people that there is a visual impairment, rather than to be used as an actual mobility aid (as these conditions will usually leave enough residual vision, that mobility won't become a problem).

Ahhh! I've seen people with white canes that don't look like they are really using them. That explains it.

Well it may explain it. If it's a think, straight cane, only 70cm - 1m long, then it is probably a symbol cane. I have, however, seen quite a lot of people with "long canes", which are designed as a mobility aids, not really using them, which always begs the question of why they are carrying them.

When I was pregnant I nearly always got offered a seat, if needed on the train, though usually there were seats available anyway. I think what helped is that I tended to travel on the same train every day, often with friends, and so other regular passengers would hear us talking and therefore knew I was pregnant, even in the fairly early days before it showed much (the benefits of living where you get scheduled overland trains rather than tubes eh!). I think it is really hard for people to know whether to offer you a seat or not unless you are clearly pregnant, and of course it is the early days when you're not really showing when you need the seat the most (typical).

I don't think you should every be afraid to ask for a seat if you need it. A simple "sorry to bother you all, but I'm pregnant and really could do with a seat on this train" would usually bring a good result, if only because you've shamed people into taking notice.

I have also been offered a seat when travelling with one or both children, which I think is really kind of people, and also nearly always given help with my buggy getting on and off, up steps etc. I reckon there's more good than bad people out there. I reckon it's often other parents that jump to help first though of course!

Molly

Well done to the OP for reporting the moron.

Not sure I like the sound of these "Blue Badgers" much though!

(if my name was *Bob* I would knock up an image of a blue badger, but unfortunately some of us have jobs...)

I reckon it's often other parents that jump to help first though of course!

A really nice post spoilt by an unnecessary final line. What do you base this fine judgement upon? Do people "look" like they have kids, even when there is not an anklebiter in sight? Is it a smell? Hairdo? Secret handshake? Or do you just think people without kids are somehow less helpful members of society and therefore wouldn't interrupt their day to help you out?

Sheesh.

very well said, i have a disabilty, not visable, and i am very embarresed to tell ie police,(as i can not wear a seat belt) parking attendance of it, it took me 12 years to get my blue badge, (this was due to a hospital blunder, to which as made my life hell to live with now,) just so i could go shopping with out having to risk more scarring on my disabilty, should we have to advertise our disability? because we look ok on the outside where others can not see visably,i got stopped in blackheath last week asking why i wasnt wearing a seat belt, i explained to the officer, and said i have proff if he wanted to see it, he said no i belive you, then after i told him my reason why, he replied i should know better,for god sake i never ask for this to be done to me, so i just gritted my teeth and went on my way, do we have to advertise our disablilty.