southwark life

My 24-page Southwark Life magazine has just plopped through the letter box - full colour, nice paper and high production values to the tune of 12 staff plus designers, printers and distribution.

It tells me that we have a library, that the police want Southwark to be safer and that Southwark is a great place to be gay. It is completely free of paid for ads.

I know I'm a misery guts but who the hell reads this, needs this information, wants to pay for it in their council tax? I used to work on magazines and they cost bundles to produce believe me.

I have never understood why these publications drop through my door, knowing the costliness of these magazines.

Can we opt out of this scheme?

Southwark could divert the money to something useful or more important.

I once engaged in an hour-long conversation with someone regarding this very publication. It must have been five years ago, though time flies and I'm not sure that it wasn't 1956. Anyway.

She admitted that it wasn't at all aimed at me. Instead, it was aimed at those who live in Council owned housing and use Council services above and beyond the basics, which translates into the poor and 'vunerable'. She explained that they do not have access to computers and tend not to purchase local newspapers. Thus, you will always see the stories skewed toward services like job training, literacy, etc. and a lot of news and information on housing.

I make no judgements. I simply recount my conversation.

Maurice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> She admitted that it wasn't at all aimed at me.

> Instead, it was aimed at those who live in Council

> owned housing and use Council services above and

> beyond the basics, which translates into the poor

> and 'vunerable'. She explained that they do not

> have access to computers and tend not to purchase

> local newspapers. Thus, you will always see the

> stories skewed toward services like job training,

> literacy, etc. and a lot of news and information

> on housing.

Exactly. Most of the people it's aimed at don't have the luxury of sitting in the garden phoning the council planning department every hour on the hour over a bottle of chablis I'm sure.

Anything that I don't approve of, or can't see the value in is a complete waste of money.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Ive always found it quite boring, about other

> parts of the borough and out of date

What's wrong with finding out about other parts of the borough? There's a whole life universe outside of the warm, fuzzy ED bubble you know...

Forget about the ethics of the magazine being nice, warm and supportive to the vulnerable / socially deprived / poor.

Ask the question - is Southwark Life delivering anything of benefit to the vulnerable / socially deprived / poor?

If it is - good news. Let's see if the same can be achieved for less (a question all public services are going to have to tackle over the next 10 years).

If it isn't - bin it and either save the costs or deploy the money to something more useful.

Marmora Man Wrote:

> Forget about the ethics of the magazine being

> nice, warm and supportive to the vulnerable /

> socially deprived / poor.

>

> Ask the question - is Southwark Life delivering

> anything of benefit to the vulnerable / socially

> deprived / poor?

>

> If it is - good news. Let's see if the same can be

> achieved for less (a question all public services

> are going to have to tackle over the next 10

> years).

>

> If it isn't - bin it and either save the costs or

> deploy the money to something more useful.

I'm sure they could employ a heavyweight designer, features editor, Quark expert etc, crowd-source their editorial content from a Twitter cloud....etc... which would cost even more money.

As with a lot of council things - it's a comprimise.

Peckham native Wrote:

> I think you'll find the 12 people mentioned only

> spend a small amount of their time on Southwark

> Life. The rest of their time is spent on other

> brilliant/rubbish* (*delete depending on your

> viewpoint) communication projects for Southwark.

....such as the 'good luck in your exams' billboards which someone on here was HORRIFIED they were spending money on a while back.

parsnip-io Wrote:

> KalamityKel Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ive always found it quite boring, about other

> > parts of the borough and out of date

>

>

> What's wrong with finding out about other parts of

> the borough? There's a whole life universe

> outside of the warm, fuzzy ED bubble you know...

May I suggest you dont stereotype EDF users to only be interested in East Dulwich and East Dulwich only. I just don't happen to find reading continuously of news and events on the further side of the borough particularly interesting. Give us news of Peckham, Elephant etc rather than Surrey Quays and the likes too tis all I'm saying.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> parsnip-io Wrote:

> -----

> > KalamityKel Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Ive always found it quite boring, about other

> > > parts of the borough and out of date

> >

> >

> > What's wrong with finding out about other parts

> of

> > the borough? There's a whole life universe

> > outside of the warm, fuzzy ED bubble you

> know...

>

> May I suggest you dont stereotype EDF users to

> only be interested in East Dulwich and East

> Dulwich only. I just don't happen to find reading

> continuously of news and events on the further

> side of the borough particularly interesting.

> Give us news of Peckham, Elephant etc rather than

> Surrey Quays and the likes too tis all I'm saying.

'Tis true.