The Castle

sb

Went in there last night with a friend as a stop off on the way down to LL. Its been tidied up on the inside, all clean tidy and wooden ploors and has new 50 inch flat screen tvs for sport. Seems fine. Good place to watch sport and play a game of pool I guess. Only a few "local" types in there though. Not a bad pub to have a quick pint in if going on elsewhere.

Which half do you want naked, James?

(Were your friends really racially abused? That's really disappointing if true as I know a good mix of people drink in there. Hope it was a rare occurence - it certainly doesn't represent the pub and the majority of it's punters).

Can def recommend the Guinness accompanied by an excellent cheese, onion and salad roll and a packet of salt and vinegar.

I have oft stuck up for the Castle and I will be going again, and would generally agree with Horsebox about a good mix of people in there but I was there last week when a bunch of semi-regulars were beyond racist to the illegal DVD seller

then they bought a shed load of DVDs from him

I'm not trying to pain the Castle or it's punters in a bad light - it's the first I have seen of it there - but I would find it very easy to believe James

The new incarnation looks good and is a great improvement. I like the little "fence" outside that marks out the drinking territory. (or perhaps hides the punters' beer bellies from passers-by. Maybe a if the Forum drinks reaches the CPT in the autumn we can give the Castle another chance and start off with a sly one there.

In the old days (pre marriage and kids) I used to spend many a Saturday afternoon playing pool with mates in dodgy pubs, waiting for the evening to arrive before going pub/clubbing, the Castle would be perfect for that. Think the only other pool table in ED is the Gowlett and as its at the other end of ED so you make your choice.

Castle's new TVs should be great for sport though. Its good to see an improvement. The people who go there won't change and to expect them to change would be unfair, where else would they go, builders have been hunted out of every other pub in ED so thankfully this pub has changed only in the decor.