batey mineral water/ginger beer factory goose green

Does anyone have any info about Batey - the factory that produced bottles of mineral water/ginger beer? I understand it was somewhere overlooking Goose Green/on East Dulwich Road and was still there in about 1914.

My small son and I went beachcombing beside the Thames near the Tower of London, and among our haul of animal bones, clay pipes and oyster shells was a bottle stopper from Batey, of Goose Green.

I know there are often posts from local historians on here, just wondered if anyone

had any info to share.

Tanza.

I don't know for sure about Batey, but does that fact that the R Whites factory was still there on E D Rd until the late 60's, shed any light? Was one a continuation/expansion of the other?

For what it's worth the R Whites factory was between the swimming baths & the Church of Scotland Church (now the sheltered accom on the corner of Worlingham Rd.) & went back up away from ED Rd as far as the current boundary of the Goose Green Trading Est.

Two entrances, one at either side of the site's frontage on ED Rd ... but afraid no idea of the layout inside.

All demolished to be replaced by the Council offices & the trading estate.

you have probably already looked Tanza, but just in case I found this on knowhere

"Firstly, I'm mightily impressed by the responses I've had - thanks to all. Next, for Joan, I now know that the factory at Goose Green was (in 1914) the premises of Batey & Co., and described as a mineral water works. The firm was on the East Dulwich Road, immediately opposite the Green and next to a church which has long been demolished. It could well have been occupied by 'Whites' at some time, I suppose. Thanks now to Jim, I've sent for an old map of the Albany Road area and hope to be able to report back on that tomorrow. That will also give me a view of the Bianca Road site, assuming it existed in the early 1900's (thanks Gemma - you obviously suffered no ill effects from drinking vinegary lemonade - may have gone better with chips). And finally, Rose - you can be my next best mate if you like! Your tip relating to mis-spelling could well be the reason I've drawn several blanks when looking at the 1901 Census - plus the fact that no-one seemed to be called by their given names, ie I've searched for an Edward who finally turned up as 'Tedie', an Ellen, who the family always called 'Nellie' and, more strangely, a Janet Elizabeth who I spent ages searching for as Dolly because that's what the family told me it was. Turns out, when she was born, someone said she looked like a little doll and the name stuck - but not to her birth certificate!

Enough! More later perhaps. George<< less "

This is fascinating. I think a visit to the local history library, (wherever that is) in order as I'd love to see a picture of the R Whites building, it's clearly the Batey mineral water building. I think Coca-Cola tried to launch a mineral water business out of Sidcup a few years back too, and Del Boy and Rodney out of Peckham in Only Fools and Horses - must be something in the air/water down here.

It was amazing. - I think the Museum of London are doing a few beachcombing expeditions this week, if you look on their website for details. I have a feeling there's one on Thursday. Not sure which bit of the Thames they use.

The one we went to was an organised session on the beach right under the Tower of London, (which was uncovered by the tide between 11.15 - 1pm) but I imagine the stairs leading down might be locked otherwise. There were archeologists on hand to explain the finds. It's a yearly event, the details were on Time Out. It was astonishing, there was so much to find, we were all stumbling across so much interesting material. They said that since Roman times people just used that stretch of the Thames as a rubbish dump, so I imagine that would be the case along the whole Thames. So as a result loads of oyster shells (that probably came from Whistable according to the experts) and bones from sheep and goats, dumped by butchers, lots of broken pottery and lots of clay pipes.

The section of foreshore (both Banks, but North being better as a bit less developed.) either side of the Wobbly Bridge is quite a good spot & easily accessible via large steps.

As you say Tanza lots of bone, oysters, pottery & clay pipes.

I was intrigued that you can date the pipes by the size of the bowl.

Smaller (when tobacco was rarer & more expensive) = older.

With some examples being found dating back to Elizabethan times.

You can use this link to see when the tide will allow access.

An hour either side of low tide usually does it. Giving plenty of time for a rummage.

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0113&PredictionLength=7

Tue 28 Jul

LW HW LW HW

01:12 07:08 13:14 19:13

0.2 m 6.9 m 0.8 m 6.8 m

Wed 29 Jul

LW HW LW HW

01:44 07:51 13:48 19:58

0.5 m 6.5 m 1.1 m 6.4 m