What shall I do? (things to show visitors around East Dulwich)

My dad and my two brothers are visiting next weekend - (one is only a teen...and it's not my dad). I want to show them what a great place East Dulwich is. So far, i have really only managed to get drunk in on LL on friday nights...so what can i show them? Where are the best places to go....and eat? (I will check out the numerous restaurant threads on the last bit but any new suggestions are welcome.) My dad is a bit boring and likes mainly English grub!

I want to show them a great weekend....am taking them to the British music experience at the 02 but it'd be cool to hang out locally too.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.....cheers!

Dulwich Woods is lovely for walking and perhaps a bit more interesting for the teenager than our parks (however punting at Dulwich Park does sound fab)

I agree with Dulwich Picture Gallery (bias as we got married there) however being not very arty/cultured i'm not sure how interesting I would have found it in my teenage years?

When my father in law comes to stay (he quite likes his wine) we always end up having nibbles and wine at Green & Blue as a late lunch option after brunch.

See whether Dulwich College Farmers Market is on as some nice food to take home?

I think the Herne is a great place for you to eat. Not too manic and Sat night pub like (if that makes sense) so your father will be happy taking your teenage brother there but a great atmosphere and lovely food. Locale is another great place. I think (and obviously this is only my opinion) i would avoid the pub/restaurants close to the bottom of Lordship Lane as that's where I'd go when getting drunk rather than having a nice meal with my family - please don't take offense anyone!!

I know not in East Dulwich but Borough Market is always a great option with a lunch there or by the South Bank?

Have a lovely weekend. Your father will just love it here and be very happy with your choice. Having been born and bread here I couldn't be more proud.

Horniman Museum (almost East Dulwich!) is always good (if it's the 8th/9th weekend they're coming that's the Jerk Cookout festival)

Go for a walk round Peckham Rye Park.

Nunhead cemetery is great to walk around and on some Sundays they have guided tours which are really interesting.

Peckham or Dulwich College Farmers' Markets.

Pizza in the Gowlett (think my dad was ready to move here after eating their pizzas), brownies in Green & Blue (and wine if they're into that), bit of sport in the EDT.

North Cross Road Market on Saturdays.

Hope & Greenwood sweet shop (my dad enjoyed it!)

Hoopers for a really good selection of beers (ales and Belgian beers in particular)

Ok, I might have deviated from SE22 a bit, but part of living in East Dulwich is all the great things nearby. So there's a few ideas off the top of my head!

How about showing them where V1 & V2 rockets were dropped on LL, go to the sushi lady outside Moxtons, check out the art work in the Palmerston & show them the spot where Oscar the cat was found. You could take a tour & introduce them to the angry bus driver on the 185.

If you want to go to the Herne at the weekend you will need to book. Or try Gourmet Burger Kitchen (OK it's not English but quite safe!)

Others have made some really good suggestions. I would second Peckham Rye Park. If you're early risers (and meat eaters) you can get a nice bacon sandwich at the cafe there. Also in Dulwich Park you can hire different types of bike including the 'recumbent' ones, where you ride in a reclining position.

Thanks guys...these are some really great suggestions...I'm feeling a bit less worried about it now! Will definitely do some park walking etc, but i was just a bit worried about this crappy weather we're having! I'm certainly going to do the sweet shop...my dad and younger bro will love that. (Dad has always had a not so secret tin of mixed sweets hidden away in the kitchen!) I have only been here for about six weeks and work loads so haven't got around to going to Dulwich park yet...but that's also on the list, the boys will love the puting. My dad is early 50s and a little bit stuck in a rut I think - music is his biggest love. I also haven't been to the Herne yet, so thanks for that suggestion and I'll be sure to book.

Any other gems let me know and thanks again all you great ED tourist guides!

Sally81 Wrote:

I also haven't been to the Herne yet, so

> thanks for that suggestion and I'll be sure to

> book.

xxxxxxx

Double and treble check your booking. They f****d up my sixtieth birthday do - a once in a lifetime event, obviously - which members of my family had travelled far and wide to. There were a number of kids, including my grandkids, which was the reason I chose the Herne (slide etc in the garden).

Despite my going down specially some time beforehand to discuss the details of the booking at length in person, and then confirming it (so I thought) on the phone a few days beforehand, they still "didn't have it in the book".

And tried to tell me it was my fault. Then the landlord told my partner "Your woman is doing my head in" when I got upset about the situation.

Not good.

Edited to say: I could have forgiven a mistake, if only there had been an immediate apology and an attempt to sort things out. Sadly this didn't happen until it was much too late. Very very poor customer relations.

For traditional English food I think franklins is the best restaurant in the area and as quids says the herne can get overrun with kids. Franklins is white table cloth type restaurant and not cheap but if you want something reasonably formal it is excellent food.

Has anyone seen the old east dulwich photo's in Haarts. I never knew there was an East Dulwich station....really interesting. And the fact that the V1 V2 history on that block - biggest drop in South London I read. v interesing. Pity they rebuilt such fugly buildings to replace the old ones :( Can't get much worse me thinks.....

You could also go to the Melange chocolate shop in Bellenden Road. Only a short walk from ED station. Isabelle, the owner is charming and you can taste her homemade chocolates and then buy some. She is also offering ice cream and sorbets, coffee and hot chocolate and you can sit outside

it's a personal preference but on friday/saturday nights, i think the bigger bars on LL (Bishop, BoHo, Adventure) leave a lot to be desired, a bit tarted up and looking for a fuk or a fight (or both), and perhaps not what you're best showing your dad... personally, i'd lean towards franklins and the mag and away from the goose green end, but very much a personal preference. The Herne has it's reviews above.

Don't think you've said if they're london based themselves, but if not then a 50-50 split of ED as a place and how accessible places like the south bank are might work - sort of why we're all here, after all! Otherwise, speaking from experience of visiting friends and rellies in new areas, just have ideas in yor mind, not a military timetable of showing off your new neighbourhood - they never feel relaxed and are very aware of the tense smile of expectation across your face ;-)

Don't know if this is relevant but when my partner's niece and her boyfriend (both just 18 at the time) came to stay, the pubs around here were very hot about asking their ages and getting proof before they sold them alcohol (they look younger) which their home town doesn't do. Might just be worth remembering if your teenage brother is around the drinking age 'cusp'.

Oh, here we go...

Get a sense of humour Cate & Anna J. And I didn't think there was such a thing as discrimination against horrible housing stock, unless buildings count as human beings. Get off your high horse!

I think you will find that the residents of the Aylesbury would agree with me anyway. Most of them want it demolished!