Moving electric meter and fuse box

adelarks

I need some advice - as i am potentially going to put in a downstairs WC into a large under stairs cupboard.

I need to know what the deal is with moving electrics.

I realise that the mains supply unit and meter might have to be done by the electricity company - but i understand they charge something like ?800 just to move it a few feet across to make room.

Is this is the only way? If someone can help i would really appreciate it. Any electricians feel free to PM me.

Also - how much does it cost to fix a new fuse box - as i need to update the existing one, and may as well do this at the same time.

Please help people!

It is illegal for an electrician to move the meter. An electrician cannot isolate the main incoming supply and would be working with a live cable = very dangerous! I wouldn't thought any competent electrician would want to do this type of work.

An electrician can move the consumer unit/fuse board. Board might cost about ?75-100, labour, say ?200-400...

i have considered the cost of fitting WC etc... as that kind of goes without saying that i will have to pay for all that.

The charlatan cost of moving the power supply that EDF charges is the kick in the teeth. It's excessive, but as they have a monopoly on that part of the electrics you have no choice.

As for a toilet being near a kitchen - well loads of people have that and it doesnt open near a kitchen. And you can easily do a mulcher loo which means the piping can connect up with any other drainage system near the house, so not that bad. The whole kitchen and dining room is being rebuilt.

I just need a cheap electrician now who will do me a new fuse box and perhaps move it further away from the supply. That way i may be able to just box the supply/meter which would mean me not having to pay all that money.

Would that work?

I did exactly what you are proposing. Had to get EDF in to move the electric meter and fuse board. In the end the meter had to stay under the stairs but much higher up on the wall (Essentially 2 and a half feet from where it was!!). Then I had my bathroom fitter box it in. And it did cost a fortune. However in the end I disputed some of the costs with EDF. As they told me that it was a two man, two full day job, and on the second day they were at my house for an hour. Therefore I demanded a partial refund which I got. If I recall I had to pay upfront for the works. EDF provided me with the new fuse board and if I recall it didnt cost any more than I was quoted by an electrician at the time. Perhaps they can quote that for you. Also I had to go down the macerator route as there was not any other way to get a steep enough gradient. The hot/cold water pipes come from the floor above and were run in through the ceiling. In the end it was a success but an expensive one at that.