To woman force off road by coach on Grove Vale (Aug 10th)

You'd just passed Champion Grove, and ridden past the first bus stop on Grove Vale going towards Kings when a coach, travelling too fast, forced you off the road. I was riding about 20 meters behind you and witnessed it. I tried to speak with the driver by Denmark Hill station, but he would not respond. I have his registration and all other details and intend to complain to his employer. Please get in touch as we can probably get him sacked for dangerous driving if you complain as well.

Email me at [email protected] if you read this.

Andystar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> wow kudos to you treetoad!!!

Yes - well done you treetoad - most people wouldn't bother. Hope something comes of this. BTW, it wasn't "Clarkes Coaches" was it? I've had a couple of problems with their drivers too whilst I've been on my bike. It seems as though their drivers aren't very cyclist aware - and drive far too fast/too close without due regard to cyclist safety.

I've twice been frightened by Clarkes Coaches on Perry Vale in Forest Hill while on a bike - once one went really close to me, and the next time, I heard a coach behind me, and pulled into a gap before it whizzed by, very close. So I'm interested to hear that others have this experience with them. My experiences were a couple of months ago, (I don't cycle very often, bike currently waiting for a puncture repair...) but if I notice similar from them again, I will write to their office.

Thanks to everyone for the support. I'd point out to those suggesting that I call the police that, technically, I am the witness. The woman who was in danger was ahead of me. I've not heard from her. Clarke's have come back with a "we will take vigourous action" email. I feel somewhat cynical about this, but it is marginally better than being told "f-off you Lycra lout". This is the fourth incident I have either witnessed or been involved in in the same number of weeks (including the last death at the Oval). I'm thinking about petitioning Tessa Jowell to get The Met to some high-profile traffic enforcement in the area. Would anyone care to join me in this?

treetoad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks to everyone for the support. I'd point out

> to those suggesting that I call the police that,

> technically, I am the witness. The woman who was

> in danger was ahead of me. I've not heard from

> her. Clarke's have come back with a "we will take

> vigourous action" email. I feel somewhat cynical

> about this, but it is marginally better than being

> told "f-off you Lycra lout". This is the fourth

> incident I have either witnessed or been involved

> in in the same number of weeks (including the last

> death at the Oval). I'm thinking about petitioning

> Tessa Jowell to get The Met to some high-profile

> traffic enforcement in the area. Would anyone

> care to join me in this?

If you are doing a petion Treetoad I will support you! There are some nutters around here unfortunately who do go too fast and don't allow enough room when over taking and it can be a little scary at times.

They have mystery travellers.

Dangerous driving requires an immediate phone call to a special phone line.

I actually did this twice when I was one.

Otherwise, various aspects of the driving are noted as part of the comprehensive assessment of the service we had to do.

Some bus drivers, not all - I have to say - are horrendous drivers.. I am not a cyclist, because I dont like what I see half the time - I would be scared!!

I was on a bus one day, and this lady got on, now she was very elderly, the bus pulled off really fast and the lady wasnt holding on to anything as she was walking to towards a seat, she fell over on the bus!! The driver had no reason to drive so abruptly from the bus stop - I was very upset over it all!! He didnt stop or didnt apologise, he kept driving..

muffins78 wrote:-

..the bus pulled off really fast and the lady wasnt holding on to anything as she was walking to towards a seat, she fell over on the bus!!

This used to be known as 'granny bowling' and was considered quite a sport by drivers - mainly of the small 'hopper' buses where they could appreciate the fun more readily. There was a scoring system if you got your granny right to the other end of the bus before she stopped. (no really, I'm not making this up - it was certainly discussed in Oxford which had a number of competing bus lines and hence 'raced' each other between stops - although I never saw it myself).

I'm thinking about petitioning Tessa Jowell to get The Met to some high-profile traffic enforcement in the area. Would anyone care to join me in this?

Yep! Definatly, I'm a cylist and am often shocked by the lack of cosideration shown by other road users, which is terifying considering we are the most vunerable road users (padestrians excluded).

I have also had several incidents with Clarkes Coaches, one included me nearly being squashed on the left hand side (I did NOT cycle down his left hand side, he drove around me) as he continued to drive to the left with me on the inside on the E&C round about (I now take the lovely cycle bypass instead). He then blamed me and shouted at me (persumably with people in his coach) for cycling 'too slowly' (thankfully I took no offence seeing as he was 20 + stone) but what a horrific example for your buisness to set!

Let me know where to sign the Petition Treetoad, anything to make our roads safer is a possitive thing...