new Shop on Melbourne Grove (Duplicate thread)

nico1

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, my name is Nick and I have taken over number 16 Melbourne Grove, formaly Petals. I undertand how important the local area is for you guys which is understandable. I am from East Dulwich and i thought communicating through the forum would be great way to get any suggestions or pointers from everyone. I know Melbourne Grove is a bit of a backstreet but i feel that with the right promotion businesses CAN work. The units which have been empty have all been taken so things can only look up. I am pretty nervous writing on here as i know some of you can be a little harsh but I thought this would be a good way to kick off. For those of you who feel there is a clothes shop saturation in E.Dulwich I am sorry but the unit will remain as a ladies clothes shop. I understand the previous closed but my shop will be different and different from all of the other shops in the area. It will be individual,edgy and reasonable,it will cater for all ages but have more of a "East London Vibe" (I hope that doesent sound stupid!). I will be telling you more info over the next few days but feel free to ask questions or make comments.

Nick

Good luck Nico, and remember to take what you read on the forum with a pinch of salt. People here can be flippant and can be cynical - but overall, this is a great way to get honest feedback from people living and working around you. Thanks very much for taking the time to let us know what you're planning for your new business venture.

When will you be opening?

I'd echo that. To be honest I don't bother looking in most of the clothes shops in ED - they just look like those places where an XL is a size 14.

I think in the year I've lived in East Dulwich I bought one skirt in white stuff (sorry, I know not "cool" by most people's standards) and nothing else. I've spent plenty of money elsewhere.

Nick,

Good start. Being upfront and saying you own the shop is appreciated round here - rather than try and pretend that you've "just discovered a great new shop" like some others have tried on here. You obviously did your homework before posting!

And good luck for the new business!

Nick, yay, this sounds brilliant.

I for one am a fan of the jumpsuit (or rompersuit as some will have it) and usually find the clothes around ED are a little too White Stuff for my tastes. Melbourne Grove considerably closer than East London for the Vibe - a most welcome addition to the area.

Hi - Taper's partner here (he don't shop). Great to hear you've taken over Petals, Nick, and intrigued by your concept. I wouldn't worry re fashion retail saturation in the area - there are definitely niches left. Most of the existing shops do some interesting-ish day and evening wear but we're pretty light on mid-range casualwear, quality T-shirts, denim etc and there's certainly nothing locally that could be described as 'edgy'. The other local gap, with the loss of Booteeki and Raisin is decent mid-range childrenswear, and though you might not be considering this, it may be worth thinking about. A very successful model you could look at is The Hub in Stoke Newington - v similar customer base to E Dulwich/Peckham. The Hub does (in a slightly smaller unit than Petals) a good range of mid and higher priced womenswear (bit of French connection, Hoss, Diesel etc) some denim, great hosiery - Falke and Wolford - some accessories, plus a little bit of Petit Bateau childrenswear (the preggie shop on North Cross Road stocks some Petit Bateau, but only up to toddler age, I think. Anyway v good luck with your venture - I will definitely be dropping in. When do you open?

I hope you would consider trying lingerie? I think if someone could provide good quality underwear ( with fittings) locally they might find it's quite a good gap in ED at the moment - esp. girls with bigger boobs who still like glamourous bras etc.

I'll look out for your grand opening and good luck!

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just to say there was a lingerie shop where

> William Rose the butchers is now and I think it

> lasted about 3 months. Good luck with your

> venture whatever you decide to do.

--------------------------------------------------

Yes & it looked like as much fun as a funeral directors.