Tabby cat run over on Barry Road

A tabby cat was killed by a car at around 10.45pm on Sunday night on Barry Road, near the end of Silvester Road. (A woman who saw it happen rang our doorbell to ask if it was ours and although it wasn?t, we agreed to deal with it as she was upset.) A very similar little tabby - though with extra white markings - was sniffing around a bit later as though possibly looking for its friend. Will put notes through doors locally and contact the vet with a view to finding out if the cat has an identity chip, but thought it might be an idea to put a post up here too - does anyone know whose cat it might be?

After seeing the poor creature in daylight, I?d say that it was not so much tabby as grey with black stripy markings. (By the way, thanks for the tip about that poster, MsDulwich - I did go to check it out but couldn?t find it.) Anyway, have now taken the cat to the lovely vet who deals with our own cat; she?s going to check to see if it has an ID chip. If anyone wants to enquire about it, they can contact the vet directly: A.J.M. Robson 020 7701 6452

Hello James, no, the cat wasn't wearing a collar. Size-wise, it was not a huge cat, but not sure I'd actually call it small - just an average, medium-sized cat. Ms Robson the vet (tel.020 7701 6452) could probably give you a give you a better description. The other cat that came over to see what was going on (tabby with white bits) WAS small and possibly lost - it rushed joyfully in through our front door, only to be sent packing by our furious cat. Does your missing tabby have any white markings? Anyway, I'll try to ring your mobile number. Hope your cat turns up safe and sound.

We had a pretty little tabby cat brought in last week, found sleeping in someone's garden in Henslowe Road. She is a very sweet honey coloured tabby, no white markings, very friendly, we think she's about 15.

I've attached a photo of her (currently named Willow by us and coming home to be looked after by me tonight)

Hi, the vets estimate age by various things (eyes, skin etc) but generally by their teeth I believe. She's in the vets at the moment and they looking after her there. They are normally pretty accurate, give or take a few years I think.

She is gorgeous, I've fallen in love with her! She doesn't seem that stray like as her fur is in good shape, and she is used to and loves peeople, although she is thin and her teeth are in a bad way. Old cats can often wander off and forget where they are, so it would be good to find her owner.

hi, unfortuanely i called the vets this morning and matched up numbers with the chip that had been scanned by the vet. the cats name was woody and we are deverstated about loosing him and so is his brother buzz. such a waste of live as he was not even a year old. we just want him back cos we are so upset about it. thankyou so much for putting this post on here which has allowed us to retrieve our woody and lay him to rest. and also for taking him to the vet. was extremely kind of you for taking him. many thanks. james and emma

It's a loss for any pet's demise, but fast traffic and pet's don't mix as pointed out by the amount of pet messages on here.

I do not have any pets but I do get cats crapping and lounging in my garden, one of which was a regular visitor which took over from all the others, it went missing for a week or two and I thought it was another statistic of fast traffic, and although I am not exactly pleased with cat behaviour I actually felt a weird loss at not seeing it.

So very sorry to hear that it was your cat Woody after all. Just glad to have been able to help you at least find out what happened. If it's any consolation at all, the woman who witnessed it told us that it happened very quickly - in other words, he didn't suffer but died straight away. But I know that despite that, you must just be feeling so sad and my heart goes out to you. Very best wishes from my partner and me.

So sorry to hear your sad news, James and Emma. Its so hard to lose a small furry friend who had become part of your family, even though he had only been with you a short while.I know how you feel as I have been there 4 times, all in different circumstances. Poor Buzz will be missing him too. Lots of TLC for him, I reckon. Thinking of you all.

thanks to everyone for the messages of support it is so kind of everyone. we are so upset about loosing him, me and emma just cant believe it has happened and we just want him back in our flat. buzz seems to be ok but is still at times looking for his brother. he has been showered with toys and is recieving so much tlc. poor lil man. again thanks everyone and so many thanks to pennydreadful for taking him to the vets and allowing us to know what happened to our little boy.

james emma and buzz

How sad, I'm really sorry James & Emma (& Buzz).

We had one of little pieces of paper put through our door from PennyDreadful and although it made very sad reading, it was so heartening that someone had gone to such trouble to find the owner and help out their neighbours. Thank you PennyDreadful. x

James and Emma -- it's dreadful to lose a cat. I am sorry for you.

Have you considered restricting Buzz to "house cat" status?

Our cats venture into a fenced garden only when we are there to watch them, and there they stay -- being older and more placid, perhaps, as well as a bit spooked by the neighbouring larger cats...

Indoor-exclusive cats do live longer. Good luck with enjoying Buzz for many years to come.

Since I was a kid, I have seen many cats over the years run over by traffic, both mine and others. Unfortunately nearly all cats have a roaming streak for food/ sex etc which unfortunately leads them into trouble with cars. I don't think there's much you can do really, I don't think confining the cat to the house is good for either the cat, or your house. Some cats do seem to have road sense where others don't. Whether this can be learnt/ taugh or not I don't know. Perhaps the best thing you can do is find some way of discouraging them from going walkabouts, ie have them neutered etc. Oddly enough, the oldest cats I've had were also the fattest. Ok, being fat is bad for the health but I think these cats were so well fed and lazy they couldn't be arsed going anywhere! I don't mean to sound callous here but perhaps turning ones cat into an obese moggy could be the secret to a long life?