fell over the $%^&*$! uneven flags on Derwent Grove

Alabama

this morning... flat on my face in the middle of the pavement; bleeding feet, knees, hands - the works! was probably pretty amusing to the residents though. There were two paving stones virtually at a right angle - am i supposed to notify/bollock the council or something now? or should i just watch where i'm going?

Does anyone know whether, from a financial point of view, is it worth making such a claim when no serious injury has been suffered, i.e. broken bone(s), sprained/inflamed joint(s), etc?

Note: I'm asking out of general interest, not trying to minimise the OP's injuries.

These claims take months or years, and to get involved in something like this drains precious energy, which should be put to a more positive feature in your life.

If you are crippled or damaged beyond healing then I guess you go for it.

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking more about reporting to council so that it gets fixed... i'll take a look tomorrow and double check it's as uneven as i remember! Felt a bit daft going into my meeting at work with scraped knees and hands though :-)

JoJo09 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking more

> about reporting to council so that it gets

> fixed...

If you go to Southwark's website, there's a link called Report it which has an option for reporting Street and Traffic issues. There's a form near the bottom of the page for street and road surface issues - I'd suggest filling that one in and seeing what happens.

I basically agree that legal action is not the way to go. Especially when it comes to council/government... it diverts resources and money away from public services. But it could provide useful leverage to ensure the problem gets fixed.

my god somebody falls over and looks around for how to make money out of it, i can understand the need to fix a pavement to stop it happening again and even the need to berate the council for shoddy pavements but to look at it as a financial gain oppotunity, come on.

it's a shame to get injuries when falling over that's a symptom of gravity and what you land on and how you fall.

was there an assumption that the terrain being walked on was as flat as kitchen lino therefore no need to pay attention to what the ground looked like and walk on it accordingly ?

insulation from reality is not possible but financial gain from the council's inability to provide it is.

people must be gutted when they find they tripped over (say) a kerbstone which is perfectly and accurately positioned and therefore they cannot sue anyone to make cash out of it.

KidKruger, I agree that a blame and compensation culture is destructive and detrimental to society as a whole, but I think you're anger is misdirected here.

Jojo didn't acutally say she (correct gender assumption I hope Jojo) was looking to make money, rather asked if she could or should report it. I took that to mean that she wanted to report it to the council so it gets fixed, which is what she has confirmed in her subsequent posts. This is a good thing since it stops other people getting hurt.

It was the replies to her post (at least one of which I read to be sarcastic) that suggested trying to get compensation.

Thanks and well said annaj! If i'd been elderly i'd definately have shattered a few bones! As it is i'm in tons of pain and look like i've been up to dodgy pursuits with scraped knees!

Applespider and Computed, that's really useful, thank you. I took a piccy yesterday and it's at least an inch off the ground. will report it now.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I basically agree that legal action is not the way

> to go. Especially when it comes to

> council/government... it diverts resources and

> money away from public services. But it could

> provide useful leverage to ensure the problem gets

> fixed.

Is compensating an individual for injuries sustained due to council negligence not a "public service?"

Domitianus Wrote:

> Is compensating an individual for injuries

> sustained due to council negligence not a "public

> service?"

If they're unable to work or get on with their daily life, then yes. If they've got a few cuts and bruises (not meaning to belittle JoJo's experience) then no, it isn't!

At least, that is my opinion. I expect you'll disagree.

Anyway, it's irrelevant, as JoJo is only trying to make sure the pavement gets fixed, in the interests of public safety.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Domitianus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is compensating an individual for injuries

> > sustained due to council negligence not a

> "public

> > service?"

>

> If they're unable to work or get on with their

> daily life, then yes. If they've got a few cuts

> and bruises (not meaning to belittle JoJo's

> experience) then no, it isn't!

>

> At least, that is my opinion. I expect you'll

> disagree.

>

> Anyway, it's irrelevant, as JoJo is only trying to

> make sure the pavement gets fixed, in the

> interests of public safety.

Oh, forgive me for having a discussion on a discussion board!

Whatever happens, folks, don't dare expand upon the original limited thrust of anyone's OP (even if the specific nature of the OP is not wholly clear).

Having spent a couple of years working in compensation recovery for the government I have seen the details of literally thousands of compensation claims for just about everything under the sun (worst repeat claimants were police officers and taxi drivers). I can tell you that many of them were for injuries/failings much less significant than Jojo's. Worst I remember was a girl suing a beauty salon for bruising she sustained where she had her bikini line waxed.

Would you really, Sean? Maybe I shpould put in a compensation claim for psychological injuries? Was merely makming the point that it seems somewhat contrary to the purpose and spirit of this forum to chastise someone from opening the discussion up a little - particularly as others seemed to have commented on the expanded theme.

Anyway, I thought you were Admin.

Of course I wouldn't Dom - I was (I thought) clearly joking - just thought your post was a bit precious

Admin, moi?? bless....

(for clarity that means no I'm not. Never have been never will be)

Anyway if you thought Jeremy was, in your words, chastising you, you are a more sensitive soul than I thought. He might be disagreeing with you but I don't see any chastising.

from Jeremy anyway. I, however, am in the mood....

It was the "irrelevant" comment that seemed to imply that the new theme of compensation was not appropriate whereas I thought it an interesting new angle. As my edited post reveals I have seen a vast array of compensation claims and am so desensitised that a claim for bloodied hands and knees from tripping on a loose paving stone or kerb strikes me as par for the course.