Festival Fair on Goose Green

Hi there. I co-organise the Dulwich Festival Fair on Goose Green, which this year is on Sunday 13 May. This year the fair is on for longer and we've got more stalls, more free children's stuff to do and live music as well as Blue Mountain doing the food (but bigger and better) and EDT providing the beer tent.

Did anyone come last year? What would you like to see at this year's Fair?

Festival Fair

I went last year (headed straight for the beer tent), and I thought it was good (I mean, I think I went, it was a long time ago....there was a beer tent wasn't there? And a bouncy castle?). Anyway, if I have crticsm, it would be with the layout...I thought the stalls were a bit packed together, so hard to look at, and the que for the bouncy castle split the thing in two! Could you use more of the green? (This is based on vague memories, maybe I should stay schtum!). Will the garlic/chilli people be back?

Crystal beat me to it. I'll be upest if the brighton chilli people don't return, I need to top up my supply.....must.....have.....chilli......

Of course, I can give it up any time I want.

Splat the rat is surely a must too. Could we have a cookery demonstration/curry off between the various LL purveyors?

Well I think you only need a sock, a drainpipe and a cricket stump.

Also up for consideration:

Badge Stall, Balloon Stall, Book Stall, Bottle Stall, Bubble Wands, Cake Stall, Cob of Corn, Cake Dance, Coffee and tea, Craft Stall, Donuts, Fairy floss, Fairy stall, Farmers Market, Fashion Parade, Flower Stall, Food Court, Free Dress Day, Gourmet foods, Hot Chips, Ice Creams, Lolly and sweet stall, Lucky Dips, Money Tree, Name the Plant stall, Pre-loved Clothing, School merchandise, Show Bags, Sno Cones & Shaved Ice, Soft drinks, White elephant/Trash & Treasure

How about sideshows such as...

Baby Animal farms, Bust-a-balloon, Cane toad/cockroach races, Chocolate wheel, Coconut shy, Disco, Ducky Pond, Dunk a local councillor, Face painting, Hair colouring, Hoopla, Jump Lotto, Karaoke, Ladder Climb, Laser Skirmish, Lob a choc, Lob the dunny roll, Lucky Socks, Money Tree, Plaster art, Poo Lotto, Ring a Bottle, Show Bags, Stick lotto, Sky Diving, Throw a Coin, Tombola

Yes, I did copy it from another internet site.... ;-)

I'm thinking about having an East Dulwich Forum space at the Goose Green Festival, so I would like to hear your ideas how to create the Forum on Goose Green? What about a Speaker's Corner? How about a debating competition? Question and Answer session with Quaywe, Huguenot, Snorky, DulwichMum and BatDog chaired by The Administrator? A blind taste-off between the different Indian Restaurants i.e. they all supply 3 types of dishes and people (ok, registered users) vote for the best ones. Then a drink-off where the local bars supply some of their beers and people vote for the best ones? Mud wrestling pit for the Mums? Stick the name to the face competition, a board with the faces of the users and you have to guess who they are? And an aftershow party somewhere nearby, I don't know where, but perhaps sponsored by Upstairs at the EDT?

Ideas please...

and don't forget to let Reluctant runner know what you would like to see at this year's Fair. As mentioned by others I'd like to see more space to walk round the stalls, the return of Chilli Pete and more food and drink stalls, the queues were massive last time for the few that were there.

(Just thought of an other Forum idea, a chilli eating competition, nothing to do with a forum but it would be funny)

Dear Mockney Piers,

As you are clearly a man who likes a ruby, I wonder if you have ever had a 'Kulwant' Curry on a Friday night? This talented Indian lady who lives in West Dulwich, emails a menu out on a Monday, you order by Wednesday, and she delivers to all the local school gates (or you can collect) on a Friday evening - from Dalmore Road. The food is just perfect.

Kulwant also does this amazing thing - whereby she comes to your house and gives a marvellous cookery demonstration and prepares the meal for your dinner party in the manner of a cookery lesson. Obviously you must provide your own au pair to load the dishwasher afterwards, but it is just about the best night in you can imagine. Kulwant has just done a 'pilot TV cookery show' for channel 4. You can join her mailing list on: [email protected] Why can't Kulwant give a cookery demonstration?

DM, that, I have to say, sounds bloody marvellous. I shall plonk myself on the mailing list immediately.

Ant, a step too far, with those five letters (well, 4 i guess as the e crops up twice) you are really scaring me.

I like some of those ideas Mark, especially the debate, sounds like a recipe for a good laugh, and forumites being who they are, I'm sure noone will resist some heckling.

A curry blind taste off may help settle a few minds on that score.

Maybe invite M&S's marketing people to lay that one to rest too. Any chance of getting representatives from the local estate agents to debate ethics, then we can put the least convincing in the stocks and pelt them with rotten (organic bradywine) tomatoes.

how about a pram smash up derby? that would be entertaining. addmitedly that game replicates the conditions on LL on most days anyway. in fact, even if the mums don't want to barge the empty chairs into each other we could always have a "test your strength" set up where you get to pick a pram at random in the crowd, fold it up and use it as a hammer to bludgeon the weight up to the bell!

DING!

I did think some live music would be good. I've seen some jazz in the church by the green and was thinking something like that would suit this, though I'm now wondering wether health and safety, or extortionate fees for live entertainment charged by the council might mean this is a no no......

Keef - I wish I was taking commission from Anna but alas, I am just a loyal friend who loves her cake and really wants her cake making business to succeed.

A suggestion about the layout of the stalls - I went last year and it was so crowded to get through the stalls - could they be laid out so that there is abit more space.

Cheers,

Beth

There will be some DJ's providing chilled music by the beer tent this year - provided by Elusive Wax.

Anyone who wants to apply for a pitch should go to the festival fair website we'd love to hear from you.

Another cake stall would be fantastic; send in the form.

Don't forget, we're all volunteers just trying to organise a day (with no money except for the sponsorship from William Rose, Push Studios, JAGS and Property In, which we've generated) for the ED community, so if you want a bash the rat/mud wrestle/pram smash up derby - great - but you need to pay for it/provide it/sort it...