Peckham Rye Fete Feedback.

boosboss

Well the day went by in a blur for me.

We had a great time running the fete and hope you had a great time attending it.

So what did you like or dislike about this years fete? What could we have done better and what would you like to see at next years fete?

Pasting a few replies below from the thread in 'What's On'

Posted by: PeckhamRose Yesterday, 05:48PM

Well done to Joe and everyone on the Friends of Peckham Rye Park Committee for yet another fabulous fete.

Really good to meet people, and I really enjoyed photographing the dogs (on my 127 Kodak Brownie black and white 127 roll film!) and the photos will either appear on here or maybe another thread to start.

And it did not rain!

Thanks PR, would love to see the photos. Ours may take a bit of time to get on here as I'm still waiting for them to be emailed to me.

Posted by: legalbeagle Today, 02:25PM

PR - would love to see any photos of the dog show. My very badly behaved pooch got 3rd prize in the "prettiest bitch" competition, which my 4 year old daughter took her in for, and is still talking about non stop!

Posted by: Alan Feedlebra Today, 06:06PM

we had to leave early. Does anyone know which dogs won which competitions?
I can only remember a few, but will find out more in the next day or so.

The cutest puppy was a Tricolour Rough Collie

Golden Oldie was a 14 year old Border Collie

Dog most like it's owner went to a mastiff and his deserving owner ;-)

and Doggy Fancy Dress was won by a dog wearing a tablecloth covered in plates with dog food and treats on them stuck to it. It was dressed up like 'A Dogs Dinner' :))

Best in Show went to a Golden Retreiver.

Hopefully the photos will give more info too.

Popped along for a bit... nice atmosphere, but to be honest there wasn't much there to hold our interest for more than half an hour. Probably because the dog show was the focal point, and we weren't really that interested. Also the food was quite expensive (?4.50 for a barbecued burger, if I recall).

I agree about the so called Hog Roast. it looked great but for ?4.50 what you got was mostly salad stuff and a few bits of the meat. Bit of a rip off I am afraid. The fire engine was a great attraction for the kids. There maybe needs to be more to attract other types of stalls. For example the Cheese Block would do well there if they had a stall.

But maybe as well as dogs and kids and food and a few running things, there could be more for adults to do too. A sort of grown up sports day? Even get someone to organise a small area of the park for a motorcycle rally. Just have lots of variety of things.

But really, it was fun and also nice to see neighbours and talk with them one doesn't often have the time to do!

Best of the Summer fairs I reckon. Pitched perfectly. Respect to the DJ: Dylan, the Eagles, The Searchers, even Shakey.

Summer's not over though: watch this space for information on the Warwick Wingding on Saturday 26 September (admittedly in Peckham's Warwick Gardens, but what's a post code between friends).

Our lot enjoyed the fair though it was rather smaller than I expected. But the kids loved joining in the fancy dress 'parade' (even though our little one was going a different direction to all the others) and the older one enjoyed the sack race (even though she was still on the first leg when everyone else had finished, bless her - thanks to the organiser who picked her up and helped 'jump' her back, otherwise we'd still be there now). The bouncy castle also went down well, of course, and we liked all the very well-behaved doggies. Fun to go to a more traditional fair for a change - thanks very much for organising!

Weird or not, I still think this is in the wrong section

From Wikipedia:

Peckham Rye is an open space and road in the London Borough of Southwark in London, England.

The roughly triangular open space, managed by Southwark Council, consists of two congruent areas, with Peckham Rye Common to the north and Peckham Rye Park to the south ... The road Peckham Rye forms the western and eastern perimeter of the open space.

... To the east is Nunhead, to the south is Honor Oak and to the west is East Dulwich.

Peckham Rye is a ward in Southwark, forming part of the Camberwell and Peckham constituency.'

Peckham Rye Park SE22

Peckham Rye Common SE15

Wiki being Wiki probably doesn't detail the boundary of E.Dulwich/Nunhead well enough. The border is the Night Walk from the corner of Homestall Road to Strakers Road and along to the junction of Barry Road.

Event organised by The Friends of Peckham Rye park and Common. So although the fete was held on the common it was indeed a joint ED/Nunhead/Peckham event and does fits nicely in this section. :)

Posted by: chichirara Today, 09:39AM

My first time with a stall there. What a lovely day. Well done. CHICHIRARA

So you'll be back next year? ;-)

Posted by: ???? Today, 10:35AM

Liked it...beer ran out earlyish

More beer next year (check) :)-D

Posted by: Jeremy Today, 10:50AM

Popped along for a bit... nice atmosphere, but to be honest there wasn't much there to hold our interest for more than half an hour. Probably because the dog show was the focal point, and we weren't really that interested. Also the food was quite expensive (?4.50 for a barbecued burger, if I recall).
We're always looking for new ideas and attractions as well as people to help organise and run them.

We have been approached by other food vendors, too late for this years fete, but maybe for next year. I think the Hog Roast went down well and there was very little left at the end. The BBQ which was run by The Cafe on the Rye used it's regular suppliers which meant that the quality was assured.

Posted by: PeckhamRose Today, 10:58AM

The fire engine was a great attraction for the kids. There maybe needs to be more to attract other types of stalls. For example the Cheese Block would do well there if they had a stall.

But maybe as well as dogs and kids and food and a few running things, there could be more for adults to do too. A sort of grown up sports day? Even get someone to organise a small area of the park for a motorcycle rally. Just have lots of variety of things.

But really, it was fun and also nice to see neighbours and talk with them one doesn't often have the time to do!

I'll note your suggestion of The Cheese Block when we invite the stall holders next year. Sports day theme. good idea! Just need volunteers to organise and run it. Offers? ;-) Will have to check re insurance for Motorcycle rally and Parks Dept willingness.

Posted by: taper Today, 11:01AM

Best of the Summer fairs I reckon. Pitched perfectly. Respect to the DJ: Dylan, the Eagles, The Searchers, even Shakey.

Summer's not over though: watch this space for information on the Warwick Wingding on Saturday 28 September (admittedly in Peckham's Warwick Gardens, but what's a post code between friends).

Thank you, date for the diary :)

Posted by: tiger ranks Today, 11:02AM

did attended it was not that much there really and got a parking ticket from them horrible traffic wardens for parking on the road leading into the park!!!! how stupid are the traffic wardens
Unfortunately the road is governed by highways and their rules apply. If you were parked on the broken section of double yellow lines, appeal it. If it was for having wheels on the pavement which most logically did, I think you're a bit stuck. I did have a word with the Park Manager today to find out if the pavement was parks, but it's not.:( We discussed having an area set aside on the common for next years event, but again stewarding it is an issue. We will still encourage most people to try to come by foot or public transport if possible. :)

Posted by: redjam Today, 11:06AM

Our lot enjoyed the fair though it was rather smaller than I expected. But the kids loved joining in the fancy dress 'parade' (even though our little one was going a different direction to all the others) and the older one enjoyed the sack race (even though she was still on the first leg when everyone else had finished, bless her - thanks to the organiser who picked her up and helped 'jump' her back, otherwise we'd still be there now). The bouncy castle also went down well, of course, and we liked all the very well-behaved doggies. Fun to go to a more traditional fair for a change - thanks very much for organising!
Although we try to introduce new things each year, we also are aware that to maintain the atmosphere we have to not grow too big either. Still room for improvement though. thanks :)

We came along about 3.30pm - managed to catch the Punch & Judy show which was fun, enjoyed by the kids and myself! Was pleased it was was still done the "traditional" way - a Punch & Judy show wouldn't be the same if it didn't involve beating things with sticks :)

Enjoyed what we saw of the dogs, really nice to have an event where dog owners and children owners could mingle, lots of really beautiful dogs on display and very friendly dog owners. Nice atmosphere.

A bit disappointed there weren't any cakes left, but I guess we were a bit late - they must have been nice given there were only crumbs left!

No Jeremy, but thanks for that. I didn't realise the subject had been broached before. I'm supposed to be decorating the kitchen today but as you can see I'm doing everything I can to avoid it.

So just to be clear, is Peckham Rye in East Dulwich or does it just border it? Perhaps the clue is in the name.

silverfox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No Jeremy, but thanks for that. I didn't realise

> the subject had been broached before. I'm supposed

> to be decorating the kitchen today but as you can

> see I'm doing everything I can to avoid it.

>

> So just to be clear, is Peckham Rye in East

> Dulwich or does it just border it? Perhaps the

> clue is in the name.

It is already clear. boosboss explained it perfectly well. You're just being argumentative and annoying.

Well Jeremy it's not my intention to be annoying but I don't see why accepted wisdom shouldn't be challenged.

I shall say only this on the subject. Boosboss is correct in saying that peckham Rye Park falls within the SE22 postcode area and this is backed up by the map you referred me to. A postcode isn't a place: it is an artificial convenient way for the post office to carve up the country into areas or zones. To quote Wikipedia again:

'SE22 is the postcode for East Dulwich, the southern portion of Peckham Rye and the northern edge of Honor Oak in the London Borough of Southwark.'

Wikipedia has stated this conjunctively. Thus Peckham Rye Park is not in East Dulwich. It is a separate but contiguous area which shares the same postcode.