The East Dulwich Hunt..... (foxes)

hintza

I am at my wits end! Does anyone else have problems with foxes - or rather, does anyone else have problems with the wretched noise they make from sunset to sunrise... There is a colony of the pestinential flea-ridden curs around where I live and they spend most nights fighting each other. I can only imagine that the sound they make is comparable with that you'd experience in an Essex nightclub watching two chavettes battering each other to death...

Having researched potential disposal methods I've reached the depressive conclusion that, short of a nuclear holocaust, there is nothing doing. You can't poison or trap the disease laden vermin, ultra-sound devices don't work and the only legal disposal method is shooting the wretched creatures... which in a built up area is, apparently, a bit of no no...

Suggestions most welcome.....

Have you tried contacting Ricky and Jimmy "the pest controllers" as was on BBC TV very recently. If you google for them, am sure they can come and deal with your problem. Shooting the little blitters may result in a visit from the fireaems squad (SO11 I thinks)!!!!!and you really wouldb't want that.

p.s excellent thread title

It's the time of year, innit.

Fox yoot asserting themselves and seeing off rivals.

I think.

Edited to say: Also at this time of year they dig holes, parents teaching cubs how to dig, so I've read, could be a load of b******s of course.

Most foxes get run over sooner or later but, failing that, it is still legal to hunt them, provided you don't use dogs.

Unfortunately, forming a hunt is a tricky prospect. Horses are scarce, and those I've seen in the area wouldn't suit at all. They may be able to clear a stick on a bucket, but a succession of garden fences would be beyond them. As for pogo-sticks and microlights, both come at the price of collateral damage.

In any case, external support is unlikely. The formation of an East Dulwich Hunt was raised with our MP a few years ago, but she declined to lend support or even acknowledge the problem - presumably our foxes, though noisy, cannot be heard in Tufnell Park.

Hunting is not the only option, however, as foxes are predated by bears and wolves. We have, close by, a useful tract of ancient forest, and a dynamic Wildlife Trust that's keen and eager to increase biodiversity. Perhaps someone should have a word.

Sue wrote:-

at this time of year they dig holes, parents teaching cubs how to dig, so I've read, could be a load of b******s of course.

Foxes actually eat worms, often the small (and very annoying) holes they dig in lawns are to find them - larger holes are also dug to store food in (i.e. bits of chicken they scavenge from bins) but these will be back filled.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue wrote:-

>

> at this time of year they dig holes, parents

> teaching cubs how to dig, so I've read, could be a

> load of b******s of course.

>

> Foxes actually eat worms, often the small (and

> very annoying) holes they dig in lawns are to find

> them - larger holes are also dug to store food in

> (i.e. bits of chicken they scavenge from bins) but

> these will be back filled.

xxxxxxxx

Really? They dug a very large hole in my very small back garden - I don't have a lawn - didn't store any food in it and didn't back fill it?

:-S

Really? They dug a very large hole in my very small back garden - I don't have a lawn - didn't store any food in it and didn't back fill it?

That's odd - normally fox holes (as living burrows) are dug into banks/ under sheds etc. Maybe they were digging/ trying to dig something up (previously buried perhaps?). If they were 'play digging' burrows, you would have thought they'd be trying somewhere sensible - but fox cubs are very playful - hence the plethora of stolen shoes around here.

sophiesofa Wrote:

> hence the plethora of stolen shoes around here.

> That reminds me there's a large beige suede loafer

> in my garden at the moment. If anyones missing

> one from near Blackwater street/Lordship Lane PM

> me.

No-one's going to own up to that surely?

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Really? They dug a very large hole in my very

> small back garden - I don't have a lawn - didn't

> store any food in it and didn't back fill it?

>

> That's odd - normally fox holes (as living

> burrows) are dug into banks/ under sheds etc.

>

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is a sort of bank - on a slope, anyway.

They didn't live in it, as far as I know, just exposed all the roots of a shrub.

I haven't seen any foxes in the garden lately, but there was a huge one a year or so ago, apparently terrorising a cat, or possibly vice versa. When I went into the garden it leaped over the wall.

We had a fox in our front garden yesterday evening,he was resting under the front hedgeminding his own business and far from being a flea bitten mange ridden thing, he seemed to be very healthy and had a very beautiful coat that looked very well groomed, whilst I accept they can be a bit noisy at this time of year, it is for just a short period of time over the course of the year, and the rest of the time they seem to go un-noticed. I for one like the foxes, they have every right to rub along with us in the best way they can and I think we would be much worse off without them.

perhaps a cheap set of foam earplugs would help you and a little tolerance for natures much put upon FANTASTIC MR FOX!