Food waste in Dulwich?

chrisz

Southwark Council waste centre is at Manor Place near the Elephant & Castle. This is a very constrained site with a railway line through the middle of it.

Last Tuesday Southwark Council granted planning permission for a new integrated Waste Management Centre to be buuilt where the old gas works on the Old Kent Road used to be - more or less opposite the junction with Commercial Way.

This site will enable recyclnig to go above 50% and a whole host of other recycling options.

But for now the East Dulwich cllrs have allocated Cleaner, Greener, Safer to support the SNUB team creating a local food waste scheme largely focused on Lordship Lane businesses. Fingers crossed the pilot is a huge success.

I?m appalled at how much food is being thrown away.

Last week I saw a box of apples and plums just past their best that a street trader had left on Peckham Rye for collection. I asked if I could take the fruit and he nodded. I felt like a tramp but I hate to see good food go to waste, especially when so many people are going hungry.

I now have several jars of yummy apple and plum jam and a year's supply of applesauce! (The box also contained two oranges whose peel provided enough pectin to set the conserves nicely.)

A few weeks ago I rescued two dozen red bell peppers that had wilted slightly and now have a couple of months? supply of delicious roasted peppers in my freezer.

Last month another street trader threw away dozens of boxes of imported white grapes but I only got there after the bin men had started taking them away. Most were still edible.

A friend who works at a local supermarket tells me that it?s company policy to bin hundreds of pounds worth of food every day rather than sell it off cheaply to staff or customers or give it away to charities.

Aren?t there any charities that collect unwanted food from street markets and shops for distribution to the needy?

Somerfield has a gallery of cheapness, that is often now, not proudly displayed on the gurneys near the poultry pen as it used to be, but is on the bottom left of the Clover, Flora, marge enclosure.

Bit hole in the corner it seems to me. Mind the aforementioned trolleys are always taken up with bread that judging by its toughness of crust is left over from the Last Supper.

Also most of the gallery is given over to quarter-priced microwaveable hamburgers. Sometimes 53 new pence a kick.

But like Simon & Garfunkle's The Boxer, sometimes I felt so lonesome I took some comfort there.

Though of course S&G's The Boxer was of course taking comfort with a whore from Seventh Avenue. And even accounting for inflation probably cost a sight more than 53 new pence.

And really in my case it was more about being a bit skint before payday and not being arsed to open one of the many Lloyd Grosssman pasta sauces that I've collected and boil up a pan of water.

And I wouldn't hold Paul or Art responsible for that.

Though I do have quite the glut of Grossman pasta sauces, which I hold Somerfield partly responsible for with their 'twofers' which I was drawn into buying when flush but never got round to using when flushless.

I may leave a coshel of them on my wall, please take and enjoy.

Though I give fair warning the tomato and chilli isn't LG's finest hour, if indeed he spent that long on it.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> they actually make it inedible so that people don't

> come and raid the bins for cheap food.

We don't even let the poor eat out of trash bins!

What does that say about the kind of world we live in?

• 1 month later...

I would like to say a huge thank you to Monica and everyone else involved with SNUB who have organised the pilot scheme with Aardvark for the food waste recycling. We signed up a few weeks ago now, and as a result of this, we are proud to say that 97% of our waste is recycled, 80% of this directly and the remainder via a single weekly bin collection which is then used at the SELCHP Energy Recovery Facility in Deptford to generate energy.

The final step in this amazing achievement has come about by being able to send our waste cooking oil to be converted to Bio-diesel and 100% of our food waste being collected by the Aardvark Recycling scheme (as mentioned above). The food waste is then used to produce high quality compost for use by local community groups and individuals for allotments, green spaces and gardens, which I think is really wonderful.

I know that several other business in East Dulwich have signed up to this scheme and believe it is making a huge difference to them too.

So back to the start, thank you Monica for this incredible initative.

Sue James

www.suzannejames.co.uk

Yes there is an organisation that collects food: http://www.fareshare.org.uk/

For our local Camapign***If anyone knows of a resto in East Dulwich that would like to recycle its food waste please have them contact me. We are looking for 4 more interested restos in East Dulwich for our Food collection scheme. So far we have Franklins, Palmerston, ED Deli, Pretty Traditional and Vintage Pretty. Many thanks.

If they don't there goes their profits..food waste is food loss which costs money..usually smaller shops have smaller profit margins..its the larger players that can have very large losses. The good thing about food collection is it gives you a weekly/monthly profile of the weight/volume you are throwing away..therefore giving you a graph to use to change that loss..figure out where its coming from etc..just like what we do for changing energy use or water use.