walking home at nights. safe?

Josefa

I think it depends on what time of night it is. Walking along lordship lane I would say would be safer than the back streets, I keep to the main road as much as possible and avoid dark unlit streets if I can. Just be aware of what's going on around you, and dont listen to music/ipods on the back streets so at least you have your senses!

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nowhere is 100% safe but I have been walking home

> every night for 8 years without a hiccup

>

> My girlfriend walks home on her own as well and

> ditto

>

> You'll be fine - fear of fear is worse than what's

> potentially out there

i,ve been walking home every night for 16 years with manys a hiccup.

Hi Josefa...I moved here around four months ago and had the same reservations about walking home at night but have had no problems at all. In fact, i feel quite safe now. As everyone usually says, it's all about common sense and being aware of what is around you. Stick to the main roads as in any area and you'll be fine.

Have fun in East Dulwich!

we provided the The East Dulwich Police Safer Neighbourhood Team with 500 personal alarms for East Dulwich ward residents. I'd be amazed if you ever needed to use one in East dulwich but just knowing you have it to hand late at night walking home would probably make you feel safer.

Please do contact them if you'd like one: 020 8721 2447 or 07920 233912

There's your answer: it would probably make you feel safer. Probably. Feel. SafER.

I walk home through Rye Lane sometimes, and whilst always aware of my surroundings, if I walk positively and confidently and don't have my mobile or purse available in my hand to be snatched - I'm fine. probably.

I have been here 2 1/2 years and feel quite happy walking at night here - I do tend to stick to LL rather than the backstreets and wouldn't use an ipod / mobile, but then I would use the same precautions anywhere.

I have never felt unsafe here but am aware of my surroundings and ensure I do not stick out as a target!

Welcome to ED :-)

Thank you Councillor Barber - I like your information regarding the alarms. And I also think cycling is a great evening safety option. Of course, it is not for everyone, but, I think it is an excellent suggestion.

I personally feel very ill at ease coming back in the evening alone as I do live close to where there were some serious issues in the beginning of the summer. The bicycle clears my anxiety as I feel quite speedy and on high perception mode whilst on it. In fact, I sped home last evening very late without any concerns...

Had to laugh re the advice on avoiding the backstreets, as don't most people live in them?!

I've lived here on and off for twenty years, and in the off times I have lived in small places like Ditchling, Oundle and a farm near Leominster, and I can honestly say that I feel just as safe walking around at night here as I did there.

You have to be careful anywhere - as people have said above, hide your purse and mobile, walk confidently, know where you are going and be aware of who is around you and be ready to deviate from your planned course if that feels safer.

I never get round to it, but I do keep meaning to carry a spare purse with a fiver and a few old cards from closed accounts in, to hand over should push come to shove. Oh yeh and make a note of all the numbers on my mobile ......

The only time I have ever felt unsafe round here was a month or so ago in broad daylight, just as I had left my house, when a guy passed me and then kept turning to look back at me (not in a good way). I felt really spooked, and I actually turned round and went home, and waited twenty minutes and made sure he had gone before going out again.

Basically, better safe than sorry is what I say, which doesn't mean staying in all the time, just being careful and going by your gut instinct.

Agreed. Never really felt unsafe at all. I tend to stick to LL as well as it is well lit and busy. I also walk with a purpose and don't fiddle with my phone etc, etc.

The only time I have ever felt scared was walking back in the dead of night (4am after a party!), and was going down the side roads off Landcroft. It can be quite dark there.

I think as long as you use the common sense precautions you should be ok.

So far this all sounds pretty positive and I hope it reassures the OP - but:

If one or two people who have had unfortunate incidents happen to them posted on this thread would that make people reading it think "oooh it's really unsafe around here now"?

ie - on what do "we" (those reading and wondering perhaps) base our feelings of it being safe?

It?s only safe until the random hand of fate decides otherwise.

We are just fish in a barrel - someone has to be the next victim.

Past experience is not a reliable guide to the future where crime is concerned.

Personal safety should never be taken for granted.

• 2 weeks later...
East Dulwich has always felt safe over the last 11 years (am I allowed to call ED home yet?!), but the only road in ED that I would not advise any girls to walk along alone at night is Townley Rd. Such a stunning road by day (one of my favs), by night it's not well lit (The street lamps are far apart) and as it's only residential Lordship Lane end it just seems a long, dark, quiet road. A friend was mugged at knife point three years ago, she ran in terror to the police station but it was closed.

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It?s only safe until the random hand of fate

> decides otherwise.

>

> We are just fish in a barrel - someone has to be

> the next victim.

>

> Past experience is not a reliable guide to the

> future where crime is concerned.

>

> Personal safety should never be taken for granted.

Spoken like a good computer Hal. Surely you could come up with more accurate stats than the fish in the barrel concept though?