Suspicious activity - Underhill Road (reported to police)

ruthmct

Very odd event this morning. I arranged with the council refuse service to pick up some bulky rubbish this morning ( actually 2 terminally broken mobility scooters), and as requested put them out in the front garden last night.

My elderly neighbour told me that this morning about 7.30am, she saw a white lorry outside our house, looking much like the one that the council use for such pick-ups, and two men wearing reflective jackets got out, and one started taking photographs of our house.

The scooters were actually picked up by the council this afternoon, and when I spoke to someone from the environment dept on the phone they said there was no record of them having been round in the morning. I've reported it to the police. I wondered if these guys were "casing the joint". Has anyone else seen anything like this?

We also by the way got 3 separate rings on the doorbell from guys with vans wanting to know if I'd like them to take our "scrap" away.

Ruth

hmmm strange . I had some furniture on my doorstep a few weeks ago that I was going to put on EDF. as i left my house there were 2 guys in reflective jackets getting ready to carry it away - they said " we've come for the furniture is that right?" not 100% I thought, but save me the hassle. Disappeared in a white van.

There where these guys acting really suspicious outsie my gaff the othher day. Unloading planks, turning round hitting each other with the planks, accidentally ducking and missing them, the odd custard pie. They then jumped into a pretty ramshackle old looking car, whose wheels fell off when the one with the spinning button hole tried to start it

ruthmct Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My elderly neighbour told me that this morning

> about 7.30am, she saw a white lorry outside our

> house, looking much like the one that the council

> use for such pick-ups, and two men wearing

> reflective jackets got out, and one started taking

> photographs of our house.

This is only a possibility but the council workmen might have been moonlighting. They turned up early to see whether the 'scooters' were worth selling to a third party (hence the photographs) but either decided they weren't worth the trouble or couldn't find a buyer during the course of the day? The other three callers might have been scrap dealers contacted by the council workers, who were trying to cut them out of the deal?

We also by the way got 3 separate rings on the doorbell from guys with vans wanting to know if I'd like them to take our "scrap" away.

They have a value to the scrapmen for the batteries and possibly the motors, I would have told them to help themselves if you had wanted to be rid of them, maybe if they come back ask how much they will give you for them you might get a fiver or so, but the council will give you nothing.

I dont think anyone is casing the joint the council man who took the photo was probably sending that to the scrapmen so they new which door to knock in the road.

Tell them you want a tenner for them or the council can have them, you might get a bottle of drinkable wine out of it for negotiating.

We also had someone knock on the door this week. The first being a young boy of approx 15 asking if we wanted our hedge cut (roughly 9.45 in the morning) and yesterday a man in his 30`s at lunch time asking if the bits we have stacked in the garden were scrap, He was told to help himself but he didn`t take a thing.

I think the photographs are normal council procedures as I've noticed them doing this when they've picked stuff up from us in the past. I assumed they wanted to cover themselves in case it's alleged they took away something they weren't supposed to.

Hi,

Various Council departments and utility services do take photo's of properties and I believe you should challenge them for their identification. Also taking photo's are private investigator's and Bailiffs to prove that they have attended the address. The photo is sent with the report to the bank or finance house so that they may take a decision whether to pursue the debt further or place a charge on the property.

The simple advice is always take a description of the person, vehicle and importantly the vehicle registration mark, this will help either the police or council to identify the department and the reason for the photo.

And finally..... Burglers do not take photo's as the camera has probably been stolen and they have already sold it.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

Hi,

Just a note that if the person taking the photo is a burgler, he may have a crowbar or other implement to hand, this would then bring your own safety into question and becomes confrontational.

We have a good Police force and we have a council that have direct access to the DVLA give them your information and do not get involved, let them make the enquiry via the registered keeper.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

I don't really think that prospective burglars are going to turn up in a van, wearing reflective jackets and drawing a lot of attention to themselves! Why on earth would they take pictures? Unless you're living in a mansion with a sophisticated alarm system that needs getting past.

Bit of paranoia here I would say.

As someone pointed out, pictures are taken of rubbish left out in case any prosecution is required for dumping. Perhaps that is the case here, council departments not talking to each other - wouldn't be unheard of.

Steady Eddy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is not a crime to take photos that must be

> realised, but when you look at the circumstances

> as a whole, in this case, then this has to be

> questioned what the actual purpose was. It is also

> the right of the owner to have a say in who takes

> photos of their property, therefore it works both

> ways of the freedom to have a say and how someone

> feels.

>

> I am a non-professional photographer that does it

> as a hobby and love some of the building

> architecture, so I would point out, as my personal

> opinion that in this case it does not show to be

> for arcitectual art purposes.

That may be so but a few weeks ago on a thread about someone taking pictures of peoples' children many on here took a very different line..."don't be so precious about your sprogs", being the main one, where are they now when it's property?

Scene:

Burglars driving down the road, stopped by cops

Cop 1: hello my lad, can I ask where you are going?

Stripy Shirt 1: just collecting scrap guv?nor!

Cop 2: Mind if I look in the cab?

Stripy Shirt 2: (starting to sweat on upper lip) Err, no, what for?

Cop 2: What's this digital camera for then?

Stripy Shirt 2: Ain't mine!

Cop 2: Is it yours? (Points accusingly at Stripy Shirt 1)

Stripy Shirt 1: Yes it's mine.

Cop 2: Mind if I look at the smudges?

Stripy Shirt 1: If you must.

Cop 2: why so many pictures of houses on Underhill Road?

Stripy Shirt 1: (slight stammer) er, I?m, a student of Victorian vernacular architecture ... and it's for my MA

Cop 1: C'mon lads, you're nicked!

Stripy Shirt 2: What for?!

Cop 1: Going equipped to steal.

Think that?s how it works, would stand corrected by any legal out there

Eccentric