Afore ye shop in (shop)

A trusted friend of mine gives up some free time to act as a mentor assisting refugees to settle in London - and I don't mean Lauren Hill in case anyone was wondering.

The woman who's receiving assistance from my friend works at a (a supermarket), not the ED one but that doesn't matter for the sake of this tale.

Occasionally she turns up for work work to find out they need her to work in a different branch that day. (this supermarket) don't pay her whilst she's travelling to their other shop so she earns less that day and (the supermarket) save themselves an hours wages even though they asked her to travel.

Nasty (supermarket)!

I was never a fan but now I'll steer clear.

ap

(apologies, the supermarket's name has been removed, just in case. We are awaiting a reply from the supermarket involved to see what they say - the Administrator)

Crikey!

AP I have just finished a bit of a contre temps with the Administrator about accusations of illegal behaviour on the part of shopkeepers.

What is alleged here is definately illegal; the company should be paying for both the time and the expenses, and if the journey covers a lunch break then probably food too.

Over to you Mark

UC

So how about in a regular job... how about I am told to go to the US for a couple of days, but it is company policy to travel out of hours and I have to spend most of Sunday on a plane... I don't get paid extra for this, or does this just apply to temporary workers?

alachlan a company can no more have a policy of asking you to travel out of hours, than could a pub have a policy of not providing toilets. The law takes precedence; and as I understand it employees have a responsibility to travel and report to their normal site of work; everything else must be reimbursed.

a job with the level of compensation, responsibility and challenge which requires the odd short-notice trip abroad is surely one which factors in the need to do so - ie you're already paid good money in a decent job

People (temporary or not) on bare minimum wage should surely not be expected to do the same - that ?6 makes a big difference to your weekly budget if you are on minimum wage. PLus the reason they are being treated so badly is so that the likes of us on good money can enjoy our luxury juice/soap/whatever at lower prices.... doesn't make me feel good anyway...

Thanks UC - I was interested just in whether there was a distinction. Appreciated that this is part of what I do and am not whining about this in the least, but I think its important to establish that in theory at least there is a level playing field.

alachlan -

dunno what you do but i also have to travel for work a lot and get similarly shafted re: travelling on Sundays etc - in fact, they even once made me stay in Houston for three extra days after a conference to save money on "stay-Saturday-night-discount" airfare (i naturally did my best to eradicate any savings to the company by going to the most expensive restaurants I could find and putting it on expenses)

however in my contract, it is made explicit that I will sometimes have to work outside of the normal office hours. So I can't really complain. I imagine this might be the same for you? Whereas it won't be for a supermarket worker.

Indeed it is contractual... Maybe you work at the same place! That said, I think most contracts, as well as the outside of office hours on an "occasional" basis clause, will have a place of work clause which will states a place within a certain mile radius of your central office/original hire location as being allowable... so maybe the supermarket worker does have a similar condition, if not necessarily covering the travel time part?