zippo circus - anyone been?

I went to the circus this evening and was totally blown away. I haven't been to the circus in the UK for years. Gone are the manky costumes and sickly looking animals. This was brilliant. I'm still in shock after watching the sexy Colombian, Chico's death defying leaps on top of some huge spinning see saw thing. Went with a friens of mine who'd never been to a circus and he's hooked now! Did anyone else know that the modern circus is so good?

Might have to go and check them all out now! I had a great time. Haven't laughed so much at clowns before either. They dragged three guys up to do a ballet dance competition. Was funnier thanit probably sounds, my head was hurting from laughing so much. My moody ten year old loved it too. I'm now a circus convert!

Did anyone see the protesters outside the entrance yesterday? Is it true they were there to liberate the budgies and string up ringmaster Norman? If so they have my full support as the budgies are rubbish.

On the plus side, the horses were brilliant. Their disposition and appearance reflects the excellent care they receive.

We were at the same performance as you LegalEagle-ish. I love the circus and cannot get out of going every year as my kids pester me about it until I give in.

I agree with Mrs TP that the budgies are the worst part - although my 5 yr old thought they were hilarious - so at least someone loves them as well as Norman the Ringmaster!

We went today, third year in a row. Kids loved it, I really enjoyed it - the bit at the end was fantastic! Agree that the budgies are a bit rubbish... older kids seem to enjoy them but my two lost interest at that point. Didn't really see the point of the woman (the tall one, seemed to do a bit of juggling, bit of stuff with the clowns and not much else) but everything else was great.

Yes, that lady was very strict. I saw her at the interval still looking strict and cross selling something or other. Zippo's makes me laugh because all the performers can be seen selling the programmes, light up sticks, chips, candy floss etc before the performance starts and during the interval. They don't get much of a break.

Also meant to say that the 'Circle of Death' was fab. Well worth a visit.

Did the high-wire guys fall off during the standing-on-each-other's-shoulders routine? They did with us - one was left clinging kneeling on the wire, and the other hanging from his hands. It was very dramatic - so much so that we wondered if it was rehearsed.

Oh, yes, got me too (I found the whole high wire thing terrifying!) My 4 1/2 year old daughter loved the budgies though, she thought they were hilarious!! - I guess it really does fulfil the something for everyone criteria! Think we'll be going again next time the circus is in town.

In the early 1980s I had the displeasure of attending the Moscow State Circus, in Moscow, with all the animals who clearly had to have been cruelly treated to do some of those awful dreadful tricks they were made to do, involving a bear on stilts juggling a cat. I Kid You Not. I took loads of photographs of them, too. I was so traumatised by what I saw I vowed never to go to a circus ever again. Ever.

And now you make this posting. It may be about time I had a Good Circus Experience!

I must say that although the palomino horses were spectactularly beautiful and looked pretty healthy, I found their tricks a bit strange and unnatural-seeming. If anyone has concerns about the treatment of the animals, there's a poster up in the foyer talking about their animal policy, including liaison with animal welfare groups.

I think the horses are treated well. The night I was there one of them obviously had a stiff off hind leg, but he was confined to a few full circuits and then taken out while the others did lots of tight turning displays.

They are superbly trained if even the Ringmaster (not a natural) can get them performing. And it seems to be on a reward based system - the whip never touches them.