getting to Canary Wharf from East D/Nunhead

emc

Hello - I live in Nunhead but will be travelling to work in Canary Wharf in Oct - have seen some threads about parking in the cinema for free at Canada Water (or is it Surrey Quays?) then jumping on tube? Anyone know if this is right?

Three options:

Train from Queens Road Peckham to London Bridge, then tube

Lazy version, if you don't want to walk 10 minutes to QRP: train from Nunhead to Peckham Rye, change to train to London Bridge, then tube

Or train from Nunhead to Lewisham then DLR

Can't imagine why you'd want to drive anywhere in the morning.

A few choices, none that are much fun... as already mentioned, train to L Bridge then Jubilee line (average 55 mins door to door for me from East Dulwich) - it's hell but you get used to it (eventually...) Boat is lovely but extra cost on top of travelcard. Train from Peckham Rye (or Nunhead) to Lewisham and the DLR up is great as you're kinda going in the "wrong" direction, train nearly empty, get on DLR at first stop (takes about 40 mins station to work). Annoyingly though in the morning there is only the 8.35am from Peckham Rye which doesn't work for a 9am on the dot start. If you want to throw it out there you can get the 78 bus from Nunhead to Tower Hill and get the DLR in that way.

We need a bridge from SE London to the Wharf, to be able to get a bus or to cycle there directly would be great. Even with the East London Line extension (eventually) it will be hell trying to squeeze on an already packed Jubliee line at Canada Water...

Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf bridge was originally proposed by myself and Alastair Hanton when I chaired Southwark Cyclsits to Southwark Council and Sustrans.

This was then explored by Transport for London and aAlthough the business case looked good Boris Johnson has canned this project citing the recession.

Others have suggested he has priorities in other parts of London and self inflicted money pressures from his electoral pledges - cancelling Western congestion zone, etc.

Other London bridges has been funded by a collection of sources so TfL saying straight no was very premature but importantly eliminated confidence from other potential funders.

njc97 - the train is fine (and quite reliable) but the Jubilee line sucks in rush hour. Saying that, back when I worked in CW, I used to do it in around 45 mins, starting near the Plough. When you say "Can't imagine why you'd want to drive anywhere in the morning"... ED to Surrey Quays shouldn't take over 20 mins, but of course that would scupper any impromptu boozing!

chica1 - The 381 is a very slow route (aren't they all??), I would avoid it.

alice - if you're going to cycle to Bermondsey, why not cycle all the way?

Train from Nunhead to Lewisham takes about 5 minutes and is always half empty (plenty of seats). DLR to Canary Wharf is 15 minutes. Again, there's usually seats on the DLR. So all very relaxed and only 20 minutes travel time. Nice.

The only small issue is that there's only one train that gets you in before 9.30am and it leaves Nunhead at about 8.40am, getting you into Canary Wharf at about 9.05am.

On the way back it is better (trains from Lewisham at 5.54pm, 6.41pm or 7.06pm).

I like this route because it is very slightly quicker than going to London Bridge and then Jubilee line but more importantly is much much lower stress.

How about drive down to Lewisham to do your free parking then hop on the DLR to CW

I've driven down to Lewisham during rush hour to drop off a rented car and via New Cross (from ED) it would take about 25 mins... but perhaps there is a quicker road trip to Lewisham? Another alternative is to jump on 185 bus (how ever long that takes?) then grab the DLR to CW.

jumpinjackflash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I drive every day to Can Wharf via Rotherhithe

> Tunnel - do it in 20 mins but then I do have to

> start at 6:30am! I park in Billingsgate for ?382

> per quarter which beats Waitrose car park who

> charge ?313 per month!

Yeah, that's alright. Back in the day, you could park at the West India Quay cinema for ?5 a day. Or in the big muddy car park for the same.

It's all changed now, though.

Not that I go there much these days.

This thread is a classic example of the piss poor public transport system that exists in this cess pit of a city. It is less than four miles yet it takes 55 minutes, to quote one poster. How much would it cost for a return journey there?

Train fare to London Bridge: is it ?4ish return?

Two tube tickets on oyster: ?3.20 (about that anyway).

Total ?7.20.

Chance of a seat: zero.

Most people can walk 4 miles in about 1hr 10. Such a distance would take about 20 mins on a bike.

Conclusion: in this city we have a shit, over-priced, overcrowded transport system, which for many people, myself included when for what ever reason I am forced to use it, turns an average working day into one of dejection and misery.

Incidentally, it is also staffed in the main by a bunch of rude, arrogant, boneheaded morons.

Advice for the original poster, ur gonna have to either:

move house,

get a push bike,

or get a motorbike / scooter

if you don't want you daily working life to be made a misery at the hands of TFL, the station staff and the 10,000 other pillocks trying to travel in the same direction.

Hmm, eater - how often do you actually use public transport?

FYI this morning I did the Nunhead->Peckham Rye->LB->CW route. It cost me about 4 pounds (on a monthly travelcard), took my 40 minutes door to door and I had a seat for all 3 legs of the journey. Alas I'm going to have to rely on my job to turn my day into one of misery.