Getting to Croydon Ikea from ED

cate

The most direct route but it does take you through the tollgate and over lots of speed bumps in the Village:

[edited once]

edited to change it to Croydon IKEA, sorry I didn't initially see the IKEA bit. Embedding the map doesn't seem to work now but here's the link http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=East+Dulwich,+Greater+London,+UK&daddr=51.432929,-0.059052+to:CR0+4UZ&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&sll=51.41475,-0.0925&sspn=0.103207,0.209255&ie=UTF8&z=13

I definitely wouldn't go through Croydon, as mapped above. I usually go S Circular to Tulse Hill, through W Norwood, up Knight's Hill and then right at the traffic lights which brings you down to the A23 by Streatham Common. Turn left there and keep on the A23 through Norbury and on to Purley Way - turn off when you see the IKEA chimneys.

Hi I live in Croydon so I would suggest through Crystal palace, then down to Thornton Heath taking route to purley way, Dont cut through Streatham its a nightmare. I know a couple of shortcuts from Mayday hospital, but way too complicated to explain on here.

It's terrible during the day too. The one and only time I drove to Ikea from here I used AA route planner which took me through Streatham High street. The road markings seem to be badly laid out as well; the lanes don't seem to link up on either sides of pedestrian crossings. You'd drive through a crossing and find yourself straddling two lanes. The return drive I went via Knights Hill and it seemed to be a better route although it was very slow too.

I go Lordship Lane, Sydenham Hill, Crystal Palace Parade, straight on down Queen's Road, left down South Norwood Hill, right onto White Horse Lane, right down Thornton Heath High Street to the clock tower, left past Thornton Heath Station to the end of that road, right to Thornton Heath Pond (a few yards on from where you turn right), turn left there then straight run through to Ikea.

Not forgetting to call at the Chinese supermarket and/or Wyevale's (bit further on where the old Purley Way swimming pool used to be).

Edited to add: Gone this route loads of time, never had any problems

Edited again to add: I've been to Ikea on a Friday night and it was virtually empty

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is an alternative: don't drive but take the

> train from Forest Hill to East Croydon and then

> take the tram to IKEA (Ampere Way). It's a

> doddle.

xxxxxxx

Don't drive?!

You obviously don't end up at the checkout with a zillion bags full of stuff you don't really need but it's all so cheap but you end up spending enormous amounts of money and no way could you get it back on public transport.

:))

Actually you can get there fairly quickly (by london standards) at about 7:30 pm. I always go south via turney road from dulwich village, then aim for knollys road and valley road, which parallel the A23, until streatham common, then get on the a23 until am there. Ok, is quite bad traffic through streatham etc and there may well be a better way, but the last time I went it took me about 30 mins, at about 8pm on a thursday eveining, if my memory serves me right.

I've just done it this morning as it happens. It took me 25 mins to get there and 25 back.

After Crystal Palace follow Church Rd to the lights, Right onto Beulah hill then immediate left down Grange Rd, all the way down onto Whitehorse Rd, right at a big junction onto Windmill Rd all the way down to Sumner Rd, brings you out on Mitcham Rd just at the big roundabout onto Purley Way.

Very little traffic and pretty much straight all the way.