East Dulwich in the New Statesman

Tanza

Oh god I was thinking of getting a papoose, is it an essential piece of ID for me to get into the coffee bar? Will there be a sign that says if you are lucky enough to look over 35 you will be asked for your ivf reciept? I'm having new dad angst. Perhaps this guy needs a slap from an east dulwich mum to knock the tongue out of his cheek but apart from that its a pretty harmless article.

The article is hilarious because it is totally true.

My mate who doesn't have kids refers to the mums who swarm ED as Lactating Brood Mares (LBMs) and he goes to Lucas to avoid them as it apparently isn't big enough for buggies.

The funny thing for us is that we're due to become parents in next two weeks and we're totally going to become LBM / buggie mom and papoose pop whether we like it or not (although we'll try not to nip ankles with buggies the way some people seem to). Our only fear is that we won't be welcome in the club because we have not got a bugaboo.

I'll need to ask my mate if he wrote the article....

Michael Hodges also writes a column in Time Out every week - I feel I should like them more than I do - he is witty but he tries too hard. He's no Ted Max or *Bob*

As for buggies/boos whatever on LL - people haven't got too much wrong in their lives if that's what they get upset about - there are whole swathes of the capital with nary a bugaboo in sight but you wouldn't want to live there

Poor Tulip

Did you think simply knocking out a pup would give you a golden ticket to a club where people become busom buddies (arf) regardless of age, life experience and personal circumstance?

Why would anyone who was 25 want to hang around with a group of people knocking-on 40 anyway? Or vice versa, obviously.

Come to think of it, why would anyone want to hang around with a group of random recent mothers anyway - unless there weren't any other options to fill-up the day?

Ooh, look.. we've all had a baby. We've got that in common at least. Let's meet-up for coffee and slightly uncomfortable conversation, make half-hearted attempts to be interested in each other's children and listen politely to varying opinion on sleep training.

I agree with what too few people have said on here, that the article is entirely true. I moved to the area only 4 or 5 months ago, just up from Nunhead Green, by the cememtery. Nunhead seems to be full of Irish and African people. Peckham Rye is a great mix of cultures, my personal favorite is the 'Irish-Jamaican Butchers'. But the first time I walked into Dulwich, I saw less and less Irish people, less and less African or Jamaican people, and more and more middle class white mums who seemed to be engaged in some kind of maternal arms race, its as though the fetish of oversized 4x4s has now spilled over into the world of pushchairs.

You're right. Clearly there are not enough Irish and Jamaicans in Dulwich. One can only pray this worrying population imbalance is rectified in the very near future.

It's amazing what kind of an impact fifty or so highly visible Bugaboo-pushers can have on a short stretch of street - whilst the other ten thousand are at work.