Catholic Secondary Schools in Southwark

Amelie

Declan

A friend asked about Catholic schools in the area, I wouldn't dream of asking anyone about their reasons for believing in their particular faith. It would be presumptuous, arrogant, bigoted and above all INCREDIBLY RUDE!!!

Moreover, to whom I speak and what I speak to them about is absolutely none of your business.

Fine Amelie

you got enough answers as it is without me putting my oar in. Just wonder what sort of a friend it is who you can't converse with regarding their beliefs. But like you say it's none of my business if you insist on not being INCREDIBLY RUDE.

I can't think of anything more political than religion, and I can't think of any more political religion than catholicism.

As Declan mentioned, it's a poor friend if you can't ask them what particular benefit they believe a catholic school is going to bestow, nor why they believe that indoctrinating their child is a reasonable thing to do.

I should be honest with you, asking for a recommendation for a catholic school on a public forum is INCREDIBLY RUDE. It's like asking recommendations for places you can get away with drink driving.

Absolute nonsense Huguenot and Declan.

This was a perfectly reasonable question to ask. What is it with your bile and hatred on this matter? Is Amelie supposed to interrogate and cross-examine a friend because you don't like/agree with Catholicism/religious schools?

Go hang your heads in shame both of you.

(edited for typo)

Hmph.

*folds arms*

There are plenty of things that have seemed socially acceptable at some point that don't bear up under scrutiny. Paedophilia was popular pre 15th century, just because everyone was doing it didn't make it right.

Just because some people think religious indoctrination of children is reasonable doesn't mean it is. We're shocked when we see it at Waco, but miss the abuse in our own backyard.

Having said that, Catholicism has no reputation for child abuse at all.

There are plenty of other beliefs that are part of the community that the forum represents that have no natural right to be expressed - such as racism, sexism and paedophilia. I see no reason why religious bigotry can't be included in that list.

However, as you say: according to current mores it was perfectly reasonable to ask, and perfectly reasonable to be challenged.

Not perfectly reasonable to suggest that being asked a reasonable question is INCREDIBLY RUDE. She even goes on to say that asking the question is presumptuous, arrogant and bigotted. The huge irony being, of course, that saying someone can't challenge religion is actually presumptuous, arrogant and bigotted. These are some of the many crimes of religion that say it has no place in a reasonable society.

She's only being hoist by her own petard ;-)

Blimey, all the OP did was to ask for the names of Roman Catholic secondary schools in the Borough - she wasn't even asking for recommendations! Whether or not people approve of faith schools, they are a part of our education system. If people of a particular faith choose to send their children to a school which seeks to provide an education appropriate to that faith, that is their business and their right. What is not anyone's business is to ask another person to justify their religious beliefs, and I really don't understand why Amelie should be expected to challenge her friend on her religious beliefs.

Personally, I am an atheist and the last thing I would ever have wanted was to send my daughter to a faith school of any kind, but I would NEVER be so offensive as to challenge the religious views of anyone, whatever I thought of them, any more than I would expect anyone to challenge my views.

To get back to Amelie's original post, depending whereabouts in the Borough your friend lives, s/he might want to consider Bonus Pastor School, which is in Downham.

I don't think Declan was being offensive or interfering with someone else's business - he was just observing that with such a shortage of Catholic schools, if Amelie aske her friend why this specfic type was required it might allow them to expand the pool of schools meeting their critera.

As for 'none of your business' - that's the kind of snotty domineering tone that you're accusing others of.

I think if you're going to ask people favours, common decency requires that you treat honest enquiries with respect. That's part of the 'social contract'.

I can only imagine that we've had that kind of aggresive response because there aren't any acceptable reasons for indoctrinating children, and so the zealots are going all defensive on our ass.

I think it was quite reasonable to assume that Amelie's friend is of the Roman Catholic faith, in which case, I think the reasons why they would want to send their child to a Catholic school would be obvious. Surely you would only send your child to a faith school if you were a believer in that particular faith?

Growlybear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it was quite reasonable to assume that

> Amelie's friend is of the Roman Catholic faith, in

> which case, I think the reasons why they would

> want to send their child to a Catholic school

> would be obvious. Surely you would only send your

> child to a faith school if you were a believer in

> that particular faith?

Sorry but that's a load of bolloc*s.A belief in a god has to come from within not from your bloody parents.