Bird of Prey in ED

d803cn

Sparrowhawk it is, and a female by the look of it (though it might be a young male at a pinch). I think some of them live in the Dulwich Woods (you often see two of them sitting on the sight-screens at the cricket ground), but I've not yet seen an adult male. They kill pigeons in the woods, and you'll sometimes find crows finishing them off (suspiciously often, and I'd not be surprised if the crows weren't jumping the claim).

The other birds of prey we're supposed to have are owls, but I haven't heard one for ages. We get buzzards from time to time, too, though as they're about a mile upwards, and don't stop, I'm not sure they count.

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Could you post it to the ED Nature watch thread? - helps keep all our beasties together.

I'll put a link in that thread.

Here are some pics I took of the Gang of Four sparrowhawks that I saw hanging around the East Dulwich Hospital site in July last year. Not up to the same quality, but most of them were taken through binoculars.

Most of the time they just spent their afternoons perched on one or other window ledge or chimney, occasionally spreading their wings to move 20 yards to another one. Lazy buggers. I only noticed them after hearing lots of animated mewing from one of them after a strike on the neighbouring garden.