Councillors - what are they for?

We are one of the families caught up in the primary school places row. I can see no evidence of the Peckham Rye councillors campaigning for us - they have not got involved in this forum nor have they contributed to the Facebook page even though one of them is a member.

I am not party political - but I am interested in local democracy working for us. I see Councillor Barber's thread is very popular but have no idea who the other two councillors for ED are and what they do earn our votes.

I just wonder what the point of the council is if our councillors are invisible from one election to another - ie every four years!

They're really not invisible.

I am not a councillor but I have had use of mine now and again and if you look in here or on the websites (Southwark) you'll find them. You can always remind them that you are a voter. Some are not good but some do work hard and have full time jobs. Most people don't need them I suppose, but when they suddsenly do they expect them to be there for them at the click of their fingers. Go to your local Community Council meetings (info on Southwark Website) and raise your concerns there along with other interested people. They don't know to look for you!

James Barber. Jonathan Mitchell and Richard Thomas are all East Dulwich Ward Councillors - all are very active within the ward. They hold their surgeries in the East Dulwich Community Centre, they are seen at the Dulwich Community Council.

James and Richard have young families and full time jobs. Jonathan - is also a full time worker. All three of them take their civic role seriously, and are extremely approachable. Jonathan has been very helpful in obtaining information from Southward Council Officers in connection with a couple of organisations I belong to.

I've made a concious effort to join in the East Dulwich Forum milieu. I joined a coupleo f years ago but felt inspired to engage as the East Dulwich station manager had.

I've had some really helpful challenges, gained some casework where I've been able to help residents and also acquired some useful insights. Some of the dialogue has also been really helpful.

I would'nt expect my two East Dulwich ward colleagues to duplicate me on the East Dulwich Forum. They concentrate on other areas I take more of a back seat. In this way I hope we make more things happen.

For example tonight at the Overview and Scrutiny Committee 7pm East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road you'll see my ward colleagues CllrRichard Thomas taking a very active role in examiniing the Primary School admissions problems of this year. We've both spent time investigating and discussing ways forward.

Hello, I?m Victoria Mills and just last week I was selected as one of the Labour candidates for Peckham Rye ward for the next elections.

I live in the ward, on Ivydale Road, and am really keen to prove to you that councillors can do an important job for our area. I think councillors who speak up for their local community do get some important stuff done ? for example Cllr Fiona Colley?s works tirelessly and has helped make sure that tonight?s OSC meeting will look into Primary School places.

I?m really sorry that Don Quixote thinks otherwise but after attending Nunhead and Peckham Rye Community Council meetings, knocking on lots of doors and listening to residents? concerns and also spending a lot of time getting frustrated about a myriad of different local things, I decided that trying to represent my local area on the council would be the best way to try to make a difference. So here goes!

I think most people on this forum want to live in a good area with the best possible services and facilities so let?s get our voices heard rather than talking down one of the ways we might be able to do this ? through our local representatives.

Please do contact me and my fellow candidates Gavin Edwards and Renata Hamvas on [email protected] if you think there are things we could be doing, post on here, pm me or check out our blog Peckham Rye Labour

Equally, I?ll make sure that I?m active on this forum

And we'll all be at the primary schools meeting tonight. Please do come and bother us!