famous people to help with the SLL campaign? Jo Brand?

R&A

Just had a thought - Didn't Jo Brand work at Kings when she was a nurse AND currently lives in Camberwell???

Do you think she could help us campaign to save the South London Line?

Are there any other famous people that could hopefully attract the attention of the media?

Especially as yesterday Boris was in his dream world again, suggesting that we could extend the bakerloo line (how are we going to pay for that boris? scrap all the buses? perhaps close a few hospitals?)

What he's promising and what he's doing seem to conflict somewhat. I'm sure the newspapers would like to know.... and famous people (unfortunate but true) get the media's attention.

Also Jeremy Hardy? that left wing guy off radio 4 - doesn't he live in the area too and will be affected by the scrapping of SLL?? he could drop in a few comments on the news quiz

This will help the campaign to keep BOTH the SLL and the East london line extension and not have to scrap one for the other...

Anyone actually know Jo BRand or how i could get in touch with her?

Shout me down if you think this a stupid/trashy idea... just came to me this morning after reading all of the empty promises boris was making yesterday...

Boris probably suggested the Bakerloo extension thing in order to quell suggestions that he is neglecting South London.

When the fuss about the South London Line dies down they will quietly conclude (once again) that extending the Bakerloo south is not viable.

Sly, nasty, underhand Tories... bring back Ken!

Boris is not suggesting anything that Ken didn't suggest, in terms of the Bakerloo Line. Boris, like Ken, is suggesting that we study it and consider it for post 2020, so perhaps completed by 2025 or 2030. That is the exact same plan as Ken. But let's not miss an opportunity to suggest it proves he's bonkers and callous.

The plan, and I'm sure you all read it and not just the (free) Evening Standard headlines, considers Peckham Rye a strategic interchange. Of course, it will pit Camberwell and East Dulwich against Peckham, but that's a blockbust film just warming up. Buy your tickets now!

And it is important to note, there are three routes for Bakerloo South. The third, and least favourite which is likely to fall off the map, would send it to Camberwell Green and south to East Dulwich. The two most popular will stop at Burgess Park, Peckham Rye and on to Lewisham. It's all part of making Peckham a strategic interchange.

Dear people, this will test your support of Peckham. As the master plan is that everyone else will have to make a strategic change on their journeys to Central London. The plan shows it serves more travellers best.

"This will help the campaign to keep BOTH the SLL and the East london line extension and not have to scrap one for the other..."

To make the point again. The South London Line is being removed due to the Thameslink improvements at London Bridge - not the East London Line. The proposed replacement for the South London Line - the Victoria to Bellingham service (which would not have provided a direct link to London Bridge) is not going ahead as the money is being used for ELL phase 2.

Dear Torben, don't talk such sense please. The ending of the SLL is because Boris supports North London and wants to see South London rot. That's the party line and we must not let facts blind us.

By the way, does Jo Brand use the SLL? Marvellous!

Peckham Rye is already much more important than ED as a transport link, because of the connections to Blackfriars and Victoria. Makes perfect sense for it to continue so.

Obviously, I'm not just saying that because I live in Peckham..

The first time that it was proposed that the Bakerloo Line should be extended was nearly 80 years ago in the early 30s, and a proposed extension to Camberwell was shown on Underground maps for some years, along with the subsequently abandoned Northern Line extension to Ally Pally and elsewhere. Since then other southbound Bakerloo extensions have been proposed but nothing has been implemented. So don't hold your breath.

Maurice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Torben, don't talk such sense please. The

> ending of the SLL is because Boris supports North

> London and wants to see South London rot. That's

> the party line and we must not let facts blind

> us.

>

> By the way, does Jo Brand use the SLL?

> Marvellous!

She has her own special carriage with reinforced suspension and its own buffet car. Sorry, that's mean.

Domitianus, Jo lives in Dulwich and it is quite possible she reads this forum so I think that is a really insulting and personal remark. If I were her I would immediately decide not to help out with the campaign even if it was one nasty remark on the thread.

Never heard Ken Livingstone described as "overtly nasty" before, that's a first!

>>The ending of the SLL is because Boris supports North London and wants to see South London rot. That's the party line and we must not let facts blind us.

Childish sarcasm I'm afraid. Let's get back to the facts. South London has always been the poor relation in terms of transport in London for a variety of reasons - one of which being certain people's continued snobbery. I'm sure many of us have encountered this - I certainly have.

Have to say I think a bakerloo line extension will not happen. Looking at a map of where underground train lines are routed through south london you will see a great void around SE - for a reason. Around these areas the underlying london clay contains porous and waterbearing sand beds. This makes tunnelling very very complicated and dangerous and therefore engineers would always advise against it. This was the cause of a major accident when the northern line was extended south to morden - and explains the kink in the otherwise very straight route. A lot of poeple were killed whilst constructing a tunnel in this material when it collapsed, so the line was diverted. There would be similar risks tunnelling at these depths in our area too.

The reasons aren't always just political.

Huggers Wrote:

> Domitianus, Jo lives in Dulwich and it is quite

> possible she reads this forum so I think that is a

> really insulting and personal remark. If I were

> her I would immediately decide not to help out

> with the campaign even if it was one nasty remark

> on the thread.

Catch a bl**dy grip. Ninety per cent of Jo Brand's stand up material for the last twenty years has been devoted to mocking her own appearance and fondness for food, booze and fags!

R&A Wrote:

> Great - so she may want to help as the Maudsley is

> served by Denmark Hill too right?

> Let's hope she does read this and steps in...

>

> pm me Jo!

> :)

Yes great idea. Jo if you see this - please PM me as well. The campaign group would be very pleased to hear from you or any other local based celebrity who uses the local rail services.

Ah yes. Everyone can remember where they were when they were first promised an extension of the Bakerloo line, whether that was in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s..

This explanation makes it clear that they don't care a fig about the daily grind of Peckhamites but are only looking at it as a wheeze to make more money from suburban commuters and extend the London megalopolis even further. By the time the trains got to Peckham they would already be full, no change there then.

This sounds convincing to me and leads me to believe that I may even see the Bakerloo line extended before I die, or at least around the time of expiry. I hope they will start running funeral trains for those of us who never got to ride on it in life.

The thing that irks me is the way long-distance commuters' needs are so often put before those of SE Londoners. The reason why the rush-hour service from places like East Dulwich (always totally rammed) is so infrequent is to allow space for trains from further afield.

We have no tube so surely we should have priority?

languagelounger Wrote:

> Ah yes. Everyone can remember where they were

> when they were first promised an extension of the

> Bakerloo line, whether that was in the 60s, 70s,

> 80s, 90s..

hi - you quoted from Skyscraper city forum. Can you give a lead on how to connect with this? I'd like to find out more. Can't track it down on Google.

• 1 month later...

Robyn0312 Wrote:

> Have to say I think a bakerloo line extension will

> not happen. Looking at a map of where underground

> train lines are routed through south london you

> will see a great void around SE - for a reason.

> Around these areas the underlying london clay

> contains porous and waterbearing sand beds. This

> makes tunnelling very very complicated and

> dangerous and therefore engineers would always

> advise against it. This was the cause of a major

> accident when the northern line was extended south

> to morden - and explains the kink in the otherwise

> very straight route. A lot of poeple were killed

> whilst constructing a tunnel in this material when

> it collapsed, so the line was diverted. There

> would be similar risks tunnelling at these depths

> in our area too.

>

> The reasons aren't always just political.

Thanks for this. I've heard similar reasons adduced; Stephen Halliday in his UNDERGROUND TO EVERYWHERE: LONDON'S UNDERGROUND RAILWAY IN THE LIFE OF THE CAPITAL mentions them only to contradict them, stating that blame for the lack of tunnelled railways in Southeast London is to be assigned to overground-railway proprietors in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, who combined to keep business competitors away from an area that they considered as theirs to exploit.

Politics, geography, finance -- at the end of the day, we don't have the Tube! I wonder, though, about which entities in which combination, and how proportioned...

Eileen Wrote:

> hi - you quoted from Skyscraper city forum. Can

> you give a lead on how to connect with this? I'd

> like to find out more. Can't track it down on

> Google.

Hello

Sorry didn't reply earlier - here is linkSkyscraper City Forum A few railway persons seem lurk there. (Tip if you want to find where some quoted text comes from - just cut and paste part of the quote into your web browser and it will probably bring up the source).

By the way I do wish you would stand for the council or parliament for Peckham etc (or it is too much to hope for anyone who seems so useful and hardworking to be able to do that? I suppose it would probably drive you bonkers)