Article on East Dulwich's food scene

foodmag

Hello,

I live in ED and am writing an article for a national food magazine on the local area and its thriving food scene. I?d welcome any comments from Forum users on why the area is a good destination for a London-based foodie weekend, why it has such a large amount of good independent food shops (and new places keep opening in spite of the recession), great neighbourhood restaurants and a small but growing food market. What?s special and unique about the area? Or has ED lost any of its traditional food shops and local restaurants as it?s become more gentrified? Are there any interesting community-based food/ grow your own/ farmers' market food schemes around?

It would be great to get locals? thoughts, tips on interesting local characters/ chefs to talk to, favourite food buys etc... If you?d prefer to send me a private message please do.

Thanks

I would say the area is covered for "decent" and "ok" rather than "great" local restaurants. Only Franklins and Palmerston stick out as places I would recommend people travel to from, say, North London

The rest are somewhere between, "not great but good people and ok food, always happy to have an evening there" to "hmm?. "

Food shops, we do better on. You will, I'm sure hear from people on here who take their daily life's pleasure in laughing at anyone willing to, god forbid, stand in line for a decent cut of meat but between Sparkes van, the two William Rose butcher shops and the several expanding fruit and veg shops, we are pretty spoilt for choice. How many can sustain the business for the next critical year or two I'm not sure

The area didn't have most of these shops when I moved here 10 years ago, so it wasn't what attracted me to the area but I did notice the one or two shops already focusing on this market doing very very well indeed. I suspect quite a lot of people who have moved in since then noticed similar.

I think the bar culture which has taken root in the area attracts people with different interests however - it remains to be seen if those punters are as interested in foody culture

To be fair, the geezer is still there with a lovely young lady, and the covered market does sell good fruit and veg, like SMBS, Pretty Traditional and the Franklins deli. We do have an amazing plethora of shops so I daresay the Foodmag will have plenty to write about. Dont forget Il Mirto on Melbourne grove, great Pizza and very reasonable.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The geezer in Zenoria Street, last time I shopped

> there which was a while ago, was just that - one

> geezer. Not a competitive market or what I call a

> market.

xxxxxxx

Things has changed, PGC :))

ClareC Wrote:

> Locale worth a mention, Ive alwasy had good

> service and food there. They do winemakers dinners

> which too which are really good.

xxxxxxx

Not everyone would agree with you about Locale, I think

Sue Wrote:

> ClareC Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Locale worth a mention, Ive alwasy had good

> > service and food there. They do winemakers

> dinners

> > which too which are really good.

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Not everyone would agree with you about Locale, I

> think

Not everyone would agree with anywhere.........

If you're going to mention butchers, it would be criminal not to mention Libretto's on Woodvale. The best in the area and predates the development of ED's 'thriving food scene'. He also should come top of the list of interesting foodie characters. He knows everything there is to know about meat and views every sale as an opoportunity to pass that knowlege on.